IGNORED

sold please delete

Mark Wolfe

I too would be seriously interested in a consolised Game Gear. It's a great system with flaky caps and the screen is just a little to washed out these days for my tired old eyes. I love my SMS and to see GG games running on a decent display with their extended palette would be great. :)

I too would be seriously interested in a consolised Game Gear. It's a great system with flaky caps and the screen is just a little to washed out these days for my tired old eyes. I love my SMS and to see GG games running on a decent display with their extended palette would be great. :)

After all of the requests I will make these for people. I just need the research funds first.

The consolized game gear and a great lsdj are my two goals and upcoming projects

Hiya. looks like connor/cross and we decided to lower the price, it will be basically at cost but in hopes that it brings in more ideas, recognition and clients for custom work. so we are looking at $275 now, that is shipped free in the usa. I would consider taking a little more off but then no free shipping

If you lower it another $225 I would be interested :thumbsup:

I am not interested in the consolized Game Boy since I have both Game Boy Player and Super Game Boy but I would TOTALLY be down for a consolized Game Gear or Virtual Boy. Or Lynx, or Neo Geo Pocket Color for that matter.

It makes particular sense for the Virtual Boy since so many of the systems out there are technically working fine but unusable for most because of the eyepiece glitches.

This! Please!! :cool:

A *THOUSAND* times this. I fell in love with this system the first time I saw it and would ADORE a chance to buy it or something nearly identical to it.

I would also buy this Game Boy TV, even at the $275 price, but I'm picky... that Consolized Game Gear just spoiled me, I can't accept anything that doesn't look that awesome now. Is there any way you can build a housing that looks more... I don't know, Nintendo-y than the black project box? I mean you may not be able to make it a perfect scale model of an NES or something like the dude did with Master System to Game Gear, but... I dunno, something. Something that makes it look right next to my other consoles.

But yeah... if you can find a better case (vain, I know, but hey) and/or recreate the consolized gg of awesomeness, count me in. For both. And heck, make a Lynx that looks like an Atari product and I would buy that too.

A *THOUSAND* times this. I fell in love with this system the first time I saw it and would ADORE a chance to buy it or something nearly identical to it.

I would also buy this Game Boy TV, even at the $275 price, but I'm picky... that Consolized Game Gear just spoiled me, I can't accept anything that doesn't look that awesome now. Is there any way you can build a housing that looks more... I don't know, Nintendo-y than the black project box? I mean you may not be able to make it a perfect scale model of an NES or something like the dude did with Master System to Game Gear, but... I dunno, something. Something that makes it look right next to my other consoles.

But yeah... if you can find a better case (vain, I know, but hey) and/or recreate the consolized gg of awesomeness, count me in. For both. And heck, make a Lynx that looks like an Atari product and I would buy that too.

I might be able to get a case made like the one in the picture I posted

My preference would be for a simple adapter that plugs into the SMS to play game gear games. It seems like a cheaper more practical idea,What do you all think?

Already looked into, lets not clog this thread up with irreverent stuff. I'm open to PMs to think of ideas or brainstorming

• 2 weeks later...

Hands-on review time. TL;DR version: I love it. There's a few nit-picky type flaws, but I love it.

I loved the idea of this, but honestly didn't like the case he chose. Connor worked with me, showing me a different case (which I loved), asking inputs on where I wanted the various outputs put in, etc etc. Ended up with a white case with a beautiful die-cut vinyl Nintendo logo on the front, and it's now toploading as I feel all systems should be. There's room in front of the cartridge slot (he asked me if I wanted it cut front, mid, or back of the case) for me to put a logo for the system once I come up with something (trying to find a way to combine all 3 Game Boy logos into something... artistic without being over the top). All in all, it looks like a nice piece of kit, looks a lot like a real system would. You can tell it's a homemade system, but it's a very high-end homemade system that I'm quite proud to have on my shelf next to my other systems.

Visual appeal of the system: As I said, it looks great. He asked for input every step of the way. My immediate concerns when I opened the package was that the cart slot seemed to be cut kinda wide, and I told him this in email. He immediately offered to recut a smaller one for me for the cost of shipping alone, but said the reason he had cut it that wide was because the way carts were being inserted (top-down) they might not come at an exact 90 degree angle if you were reaching over a shelf to put them in from the front. When I got to actually play around with it (I had some personal issues come up when it first came in that prevented me from actually demoing it for a day or two) I noticed he was completely, 100% right, and furthermore when the cartridge is actually IN the slot it doesn't really look very big at all, it's just when you're looking down from the top and seeing it, you don't see just plain black plastic like you would on a normal system, you see circuit board, and that threw me off. But that makes sense because of the nature of the system - this was an enclosed system to begin with, and now we're opening it up a bit. As I say though, it's a non-issue once the game is actually inserted. My other aesthetic complaint was the end of the controller that he put on -- functionally, it works perfectly. However, it's just bare hot glue around the wires. Connor agreed, said it was honestly just an oversight, he didn't even consider the look there, and immediately offered to refund part of my money so I can go get a boot for it from Radio Shack, which I didn't even ask for (I was just going to wrap it in electrical tape so it was at least black, but the boot's a great idea). Only reason I even brought it up was because the rest of the system was just slick, and that seemed out of place.

Functionality wise, I am also very happy. I'll start with audio because the review is quick: It's great. I grabbed the first GB, GBC, and GBA game that I found in my pile -- Tetris, Scooby Doo Capers, and Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. All three sounded great, the Castlevania one (as expected) just blew me away. Very, very well done.

Video review is a little bit more in-depth. He gave me composite out and s-video out. I have 4 tv's, and I tried it on 3 of them (one's a little buried right now). Composite... is bad. It just doesn't look good. And I'm not normally that much of a "Oh god, Composite is almost as bad as RF" sorta guy. But I know that certain systems, by virtue of their video encoders, display composite better or worse. I'm not really going to fault him for this, because it's a downfall of the video connection itself. And more importantly, because the S-Video is just SO GOOD. Castlevania looks better through the S-Video on this than it does by S-Video on my Gamecube with a Gameboy Player (yes. I bought this despite having a Gameboy Player). It's just crisp, clean, vibrant colors, gorgeous overall. I can't say enough good about it. Tetris is obviously much simpler, also looked good. Scooby Doo, the text was a little difficult to read, but I pulled it out and threw it in my Game Boy Color (I honestly don't think I had ever played this game before -- I must have gotten it in a lot I bought at some point. Neat little Maniac Mansion style game), and you know what? The text was a little difficult to read on the original screen too. So again, I'm not going to complain about something that's not his fault, y'know?

One thing worth noting, which many people used to using retro systems on modern tvs SHOULD be well aware of, is that your tv of choice can affect how well it all works. My small LCD in my bedroom, it works just fine (other than the aforementioned composite-being-bad thing -- no S-vid on the LCDs), but the large LCD in my living room, it has a strange thing going on where it shifts up and down about a pixel every half second or so. Very distracting. But, modern tvs and old systems just don't play nice somehow, this is a well known fact. I don't have an sort of upscaler to try throwing it through to see if it's a problem with the 480i output (as that's what it's reading as when I turn on my tv), and while I know the tv takes 240p just fine from some of my other retro systems, I don't know for sure if I've tried throwing 480i at it before. But for me personally this isn't a problem, since all of my retro gaming is done on one of my CRTs, and it looks great on the CRTs.

So there you have it. The good, and the bad. Overall, I have no real complaints though. I am very happy with my system and will likely be looking into doing more consolized systems with Connor in the future (Lynx and NGPC are crying out to me -- GG too, but man that case from the dude in .jp has set a high bar for quality there). I promise I will post pictures of my system eventually, but right now I've got some stuff going on. I just wanted to pop in and say "Yep, it's expensive. Yep, I'm happy with my purchase" to try to give him a little boost.

• Like 1

I told you this before but for LSDJ users, I think a much larger flip-up screen would be super cool, something all in one, with a screen that is bright and large enough like at least 12" not a large handheld but a desktop model

another approach would be to make it fit in a 19" standard RACK mount case, like so: http://en.wikipedia..../19-inch_rack

then outfit it with a 17-19" screen... THAT would be pro all the way bro... seriously. design it so that most LCD computer screens could be used to mount in it once the stands and maybe outer casing has been removed, sort of a DIY aspect to the kit to keep prices down. then I think you'd really have something, oh and of course MIDI implementation, that is a must have!

Considering what folks regularly pay for the midi capable V64 SID Chip machine, I think this would be a no brainer

this thing is a bit over the top and is a table top version, where I'd prefer a soundbox I can control with my midi controller of my choice, but this gives you an idea of the possibilities that you can do with the GB/GBC/GBA... I personally think it should be able to do all three and have the original sound chips or motherboards or whatever with pro audio mods and midi implementation, fit into a box that can take any one of the three carts in a 19" rack with optional customer supplied 17-19" LCD computer screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq99eQMv-rk

it would also be nice if there were some on board buttons and knobs that would control over/under clocking and volume, midi channel, and maybe an input for another instrument or chaining more than one together

just sayin'

:D

Wow that's a very cool video.