IGNORED

Star Castle Arcade - Beta Release

Thomas Jentzsch

We need to differentiate this release from D. Scott Williamson's earlier release, so the above artwork will NOT be used for this game. Artwork submitted to the contest will need to be original artwork. I may allow the same title from the marquee to be used, but that would be it. I will be working on the contest page and will post it up as soon as I can.

Thanks,

..Al

I totally appreciate everything your saying Al, Like i said id knocked this up for my own usage way before there was even a mention of an artwork competition, As much as id love to be a part of that i dont have the free hand to do so, So as i also said this is just my own custom that i thought id let people see as you know i like to make my own variations.

Thanks

Yan

As Thomas stated, I'm hoping to get the game in the store for the holidays, but much has to happen in order for that to take place. Things are moving along, though. I plan on setting up a Star Castle Label Contest soon, perhaps as early as this week. Want to get it kicked off before I head to the Portland Retro Gaming Show, and I'll probably let this particular contest run for an entire month to give people ample time to work on entries. So, stay tuned!

We're also working on a new board design we can use for this (and other) non-DPC+ games. A variation of this board is being used for an upcoming PRGE release. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is awesome; can't believe I haven't seen it before. It actually feels better than the Vectrex one to me, and I think the flickering vector effects are neat (at least with phosphor effect enabled on Stella 3.92 on my laptop's LCD screen). Makes me think someone could do a credible Space Duel someday too, maybe. Been a few years since I've bought an Atari cartridge, but if I ever buy another, this is on the list.

• Like 2

I tried the .bin ROM and it didn't work on Harmony, then I realized there was a Harmony specific file in the archive. The .cu file works great. I noticed there are three color options. I'm assuming the first option is NTSC, then PAL, and grayscale. I'm really glad they have the grayscale option but the default color scheme is gorgeous! :o For some reason the blue text is fuzzy on my CRT though but it was a cheap TV when it was new in 2002, so go figure...

I got a high score of 3,820. Hard game but very nice. Awesome title music btw. I'll have to play a bit more until I get used to the physics;definitely picking this up on cart format. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Thomas, do the star mines in the game eventually follow you off screen to the other side, or do they always reverse?

I thought they eventually followed you, but the demo video shows them always reversing when your ship wraps.

Can't wait to see the label artwork contest entries...

Thomas, do the star mines in the game eventually follow you off screen to the other side, or do they always reverse?

I thought they eventually followed you, but the demo video shows them always reversing when your ship wraps.

Can't wait to see the label artwork contest entries...

There is no special logic. Like in the arcade they will follow you when they are too close to the border to complete their turn before wrapping around. On higher levels they move much faster, so wrapping around becomes more likely then.

The mines also turn faster on higher levels. But their turning speed is not increasing as much as their moving speed. Finding the correct balance is not easy.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...