IGNORED

Star Castle Arcade - Beta Release

Thomas Jentzsch

Not at this time. It's unlikely I will go that route, although if I do have boxes produced, I may create a list for some of those copies.

..Al

If? D'oh. I thought this was going to be a boxed release. :(

My current plan is to make some boxes for the game.

Before anyone panics:

I am 100% sure, Al will produce enough boxes to support the initial demand (initial = during the first months, maybe even a year or so).

But after they are sold out, there is a big chance that the game will only be sold unboxed.

• Like 1

I agree, that does look better. If you can give me a vector version of that, I can give it to the guy doing the CAD work. :)

..Al

Is the AA logo supposed to be stricly vertical, or are the vertices of the AA supposed to be at 11 o'clock? I like the look when when the vertices are offset from 12 o'clock.

On a non-complainy note, the manual looks amazing.

YAY!

Is the AA logo supposed to be stricly vertical, or are the vertices of the AA supposed to be at 11 o'clock? I like the look when when the vertices are offset from 12 o'clock.

It depends. Pretty much on any homebrew manuals, labels and boxes the logo is vertical. In the header on the site it's offset a bit, which is also true of the avatar I'm using at the moment. I hadn't actually given thought to using the offset version on the cartridge shell, although I think I will keep it vertical for this application.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Game is still so awesome. When will be able to buy a boxed copy?

I don't have an answer for you there, but progress is being made. The label is now complete (and I will be ordering them shortly), and the manual is nearly finished as well. Box design will be completed after that.

..Al

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I was shocked to see that my YouTube video of the very early 2012 Star Castle has 1,850 views! And I have 6 subscribers!

AtariAge's YouTube video has 6,585!

I guess people are amazed to see what can be done on the Atari 2600.

Hopefully when it is selling, more people can join in this retrogaming hobby and buy a system and a copy.

I still think with fantastic remakes like Medieval Mayhem, the upcoming Circus AtariAge, originals like Palimino, Omnicron, and Stay Frosty 2, more faithful arcade translations such as Star Castle, Pac-Man 8K, the DK Arcades, and even game hacks like adding AtariVox+ and nicer graphics and mazes to Wizard of Wor, real trak-ball in Centipede, Reactor... there's a lot of fun ahead even these 38 years after Atari VCS started selling.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

It does not video well at all.

It looks and plays amazing to me, with the score shown in the best simulation of a vector beam. It even has the dot points on the ends of the lines! I just wish the ship could have been single line and more vector-like, but like I always say "Gameplay is most important in a 2600 game because the graphics are limited."

Star Castle is one of the rare games with excellent graphics.

Is there there still a date on the title?

It was 2013, then changed to 2014, but I'm not sure when it was made "final" although there have been at least 150 builds since it was handed off to Thomas.