IGNORED

If you could have any console, what would it be?

It it could be rock solid without worrying that it could fail just sitting there, I'd love to have a Bally Astrocade.

But unless someone figures out how to fix those up and turn them into a reliable console or creates something like a FPGA replacement for the internal guts of one, emulation will have to satisfy me.

Edited by Atariboy

Holy mother of crap I want one of these bad. I never even heard of it before this post so I watched a few vids on it. It's got spinning mirrors and stuff thats like awesome and stupid at the the same time. I have a few Entex handhelds I stumbled across (poker and football), but this baby takes the cake. One vid the guy said there were maybe like a hundred left. A few weeks ago I thought I hit the jackpot and found a lady who sold me a vectrex and 4 games for 15 bucks. I'm gonna wish on all my lucky stars, pet my lucky turtle, pray to Jesus God and Budah that I someday stumble across a lady who has got one of these.

These things are really cool to have from a collecting / showpiece standpoint, but when it comes down to the games themselves I can see where it would eventually become something you would rather look at than actually play. 4 games and not the best ports at that, they would eventually get boring and with how fragile the unit is you would feel like you are harboring a ticking time bomb or water balloon that you want to sell for more money than you bought it for before it pops (dies) on you and becomes $1000 down the drain. Some people who own one probably don't play it just because they don't want to wear out its moving parts.

The TI 99/4 was sold in the USA so you should be able to get one for cheap eventually.

Thomson MO5/TO7-70 sold for 30€ (loose). Later models are less common but not much looked after, if you really want all the variants.

Another French system you might like is the Exelvision EXL100, based on the TI99/A (it was conceived by French engineers from Texas Instrument France) but with more powerful graphisms, and included digital synthesis speech.

I had never heard of that system. I'll have to ad that one to the list. Was the sound for the game Wizord accurately emulated in that video? The sound of the bird going back and forth way overpowered everything else.

I would like to tell you, but sadly, I have neither the BASIC cart nor the game to tell you ;the EXL100 is one of those cart-and-cassette system that need to have a BASIC cart to play tapes programs... (BTW, like the TO7 and MO5 so whenever you'll find one, be sure to have the BASIC cart and the tape player with it). But it sounds like the bird sounds is a kind of speech sound, and he EXL had a reputation of an excellent but very hard to program spech synthesis.

I had never heard of that system. I'll have to ad that one to the list. Was the sound for the game Wizord accurately emulated in that video? The sound of the bird going back and forth way overpowered everything else.

"Wow. Wow. Wow." It's probably the only time anyone has ever said that about the game.

The only systems I want that I don't already own:

Commodore 64

Atari XEGS

PC Engine Duo-R

Nintendo 64DD (way too expensive)

Bally Astrocade

And since we're dreaming anyway, a Funtech Super A'Can.

Well, I managed to cross one off this list pretty quickly.

Scored an Atari XEGS on eBay the other day. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I figured the SAM Coupe would have come up a few times by now.

I'd like to have one. I'd also like to have a multi-sync TV so I can properly use these systems from across the pond. I still have not been able to enjoy real color with either my Sinclair +2 or Amstrad CPC464.

Regarding the SAM Coupé, it struck me that in the UK it seems pretty much every vintage computer collector owns at least one unit. When I visited the VCF-GB in July, there were three Coupés on display from three different exhibitors, all set up ready to be played with. At the same time, a few reasonably more common brands were completely absent, most notably the also UK brand Oric.

Anyway, it seems the want lists in this thread range from "quite common, but wanted cheap in exceptional condition" to "made of unobtainium, wanted dead or alive". Several can easily be had within a year of auction watching if you're willing to pay international shipping.

I would like to pick up another Astrocade. Should have taken the one we had when I moved out of mom's in '89. Not sure why I only took the ColecoVision.

Okay, got one!

Looked on eBay just after I posted this. Found an Astrocade with 10 games for $110. Guy wasn't sure if it worked, couldn't figure out how to hook it up to his HDTV.

Just showed up an hour ago and I just happened to have an RCA to coax adapter sitting by the TV...plugged 'er in, did a quick re-scan of the channels...and it WORKS!

Now to find a video mod...

I have owned a lot of the consoles listed. The only two things I would want are:

Neo Geo MVS to go into my Supergun

Atari 800XL.

I want the Neo Geo MVS for One game... Windjammers and I'd want the Atari 800 for one game as well... Castle Crisis.

I would then take said Castle Crisis and built it into a table top arcade, to make as close of a replica of a Warlords as possible.

• 5 months later...

I'd love to have a Vectrex, but I'll probably end up getting a few of the more common systems that I don't have first, like the Nintendo 64 and the Sega Saturn. I'd also like a Turbografx 16, though. The other one I've thought about getting would be one of the Neo Geo systems, but I've pretty much decided against that by now.