IGNORED

C64 Sound Issues

lisalover1

I got a C64 a while back that I have never been able to get working quite right. The AV output in particular seems to be an issue. When I have the computer plugged into my TV via RF, everything looks fine, and I am able to load up software just fine, except that there is no sound coming out of the speakers whatsoever. I also have a mono composite AV cable that I use for my Master System that I tried for my C64, and depending on the TV I plug it into, it either makes an incessant high-pitched screeching noise, or displays scrolling black bars across all the TV's inputs. I tried opening up the C64 and giving it a good cleaning, and even re-seated the SID chip for good measure, but to no avail. Any ideas on what to do?

The Master System AV cable has a different pinout than the C64 one, even though the plug may fit. You likely have blown the SID/sound chip by plugging it in this way.

...Shit, I just assumed it was a standard connection, given that I've seen the same input on multiple devices. Now I really do need a new SID chip. :(

Yeah, fortunately (unfortunately for you) one of those pins is an unprotected input into the analog portion of the chip. This can be used to run filters and other effects on the signal.

Hooking it to a TV (escpecially while 64 is powered on) can blow it.

If the RF still works, you blew nothing up using the wrong cable. C64's, in my experience, are hard to find completely working. You may or may not need a new SID chip, but you may have better luck getting another C64. If that one doesn't work, then you'll have parts to mix and match between the two to hopefully get one working.

If the RF still works, you blew nothing up using the wrong cable. C64's, in my experience, are hard to find completely working. You may or may not need a new SID chip, but you may have better luck getting another C64. If that one doesn't work, then you'll have parts to mix and match between the two to hopefully get one working.

Well, C64's are pretty pricey, so I think I'd like to try and find a SID chip alone first. :S

I think it would be more prudent to get the correct cable and see if you blew anything before you go shotgunning this using up as much hardware as possible ... I am not a 64 expert but the outputs on the back of the TV is going to put out at most 1v and the inputs are not going to measure anything, making it interesting that one could blow anything with a high impedance analog input inside the device

It happens from fumbling with the cables while swapping them around to figure out which is which. If you short that ring to tip, it's blown.

Sure, it's possible this didn't happen. Get a C64 video cable and try it out.

So you're saying that just because the RF isn't outputting audio doesn't mean that the AV port won't?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

If your commodore 64 with new style motherboard has no sound, it is very likely just the internal fuse!
If the fuse is broken on a new motherboard, your tape interface will not work AND there is no sound, but loading a game from disk is no problem.
On an old motherboard, if the fuse is broken, the power led comes on but there is no image on tv.

How to identify OLD or NEW motherboards: On the old motherboard the fuse is placed horizontal (left to right)
On a NEW motherboard the fuse is placed vertical (top to bottom)