IGNORED

What one-of-a-kind Intellivision items do you have?

Rev

Bringing this thread up to the top again. Yesterday I was given the dragon they used in the photo on the Tower of Doom box. Unfortunately, there's a reason they were getting rid of it:

2018-04-10 08.53.45-1.jpg

He's missing three toes and a foot, too. I have no idea how to repair it, or if it's even worth it. It's pewter, super heavy, so I can't really display it on a wall laid out like this. Hmm.

Any more details on how you got it?

• Like 1

It's been in a file cabinet at Intellivision forever. I asked Keith what it was ages ago thinking it was junk since it was just a busted thing in a Ziploc bag, and he told me. When Steve asked me if he could throw it out yesterday (lol, he's learning!) I told him what it was and he still didn't want it. I can take a couple more pictures tomorrow when the light's better. The tail would look right if I didn't have to lay it flat. If it's not assembled it looks weird if I try to face it the right way.

Then again it's possible Keith was wrong about it and it's just a busted thing in a baggie. If that's the case, we'll never know wtf it was doing randomly stuffed in the archives. :D

• Like 1

Well, if its from the storage of the right owners its definitely something. May this one was smahed back then and they had to buy the red one :lol: Still a bit confused about the color, especially since they did not showed much effort for the rest of the cover, but its nontheless part of the history. Congratulation, its probably the coolest collectors item for the Intellivison I ever saw. We had several Blue Whales, but we probably will never see another dragon again.

So as I said: I wouldnt repair anything. It would may just cause further damage. I proably would look for a nice way of displaying it like it is now.

• Like 1

That's really cool, thanks for sharing. On the box, you can tell the tail is curved - it's just curved behind:

attachicon.giftod.JPG

I never said it isnt curved, but if you look at the pieces and the picture I am not sure if the repaired tail would be curved this way. On the cover the tail makes a circle. So on the sheet you have to turn around the smaller piece of the tail but it would still not be curved to form a small circle, that is what I ment.

May its just the angle of the picture, who knows.

Edited by Ignorama

That is super cool. I didnt realize the box was a photo of the model- I thought it was a sketch of one. I could see an illustrator cutting a model up to quickly but accurately sketch the model piece by piece if they had to alter the position of a body part. Do the pieces that are missing correspond to body parts that are not on the box picture by chance?

Bringing this thread up to the top again. Yesterday I was given the dragon they used in the photo on the Tower of Doom box. Unfortunately, there's a reason they were getting rid of it:

He's missing three toes and a foot, too. I have no idea how to repair it, or if it's even worth it. It's pewter, super heavy, so I can't really display it on a wall laid out like this. Hmm.

2018-04-10 08.53.45-1.jpg

I have a dragon repair guy if you're interested :D

https://youtu.be/zOhBZfsHtig

• Like 1

That is super cool. I didnt realize the box was a photo of the model- I thought it was a sketch of one. I could see an illustrator cutting a model up to quickly but accurately sketch the model piece by piece if they had to alter the position of a body part. Do the pieces that are missing correspond to body parts that are not on the box picture by chance?

Nope, the only missing pieces are three front toes and one of the back feet. Tough life in a baggie, I guess.

• Like 1

These are actually one of a kind.....because I make them myself. I hate having no boxes for some of my better games, so I just make them myself. They're not perfect, but they look better on the shelf than a bunch of stacked loose carts.

Those aren't bad at all. I wish I had box printing skills.

These are actually one of a kind.....because I make them myself. I hate having no boxes for some of my better games, so I just make them myself. They're not perfect, but they look better on the shelf than a bunch of stacked loose carts.

That's awesome! I started making boxes for the very same reason. I slowly acquired the real thing for each of these but for the longest time this is how I kept all my loose carts housed:

AAboxes.jpg

AA05.jpg

• Like 2

those look amazing, where do you get the art to make them? scans of existing boxes?

For the most part, yes. There are plenty of pics of box art and such but some are hard to find at high enough resolution to print very well. The search for these images is what led me to the INTV AA board about 3 years ago. Been lurking around here ever since.

The sides and back of the boxes sometimes required me to do some typesetting and scaling of images to most closely match the originals but mine do have some differences.

The cart retention I made was copied from the original Coleco boxes with an added manual pocket to keep instruction and overlays from getting damaged by moving around too much:

Here is the cart retention piece and manual pocket from the Lock 'N' Chase 8K Update box before construction:

03.jpg

Here's what they look like mounted in a Blix box before completion:

Blix_Inside.jpg

Here's how they work after finishing. I mounted these in the destroyed Super Pro Football box I restored since it was missing the original retention piece:

SPFBinside.jpg

I really like the pockets for holding paperwork and not letting things slide out the bottom flap of the non-gatefold boxes.

• Like 6

Dude you are an artist. What kind of printer and cardstock do you use? I just bought a Canon Pixma Pro-100 to try doing some of these, just for fun.

Thank you.

At the time these were made I was working in a print center inside a major hospital. They are printed on 100# digital grade cardstock which is about 2/3rds as thick as the real stock used in original boxes. It is the thickest stock that will run through an industrial color copier. The sock's max size was 13x18 so I could not have an attached cart retention piece. Since that was the case I figured I'd print on both sides of my original designs so there would be a surprise when they were opened. The same limitation gave rise to the idea of the manual pocket as well. My thinking was that since my boxes would not be made of true box stock I had better pack them with extra features.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of OT - it would be really cool* to see a real Intellivision utility/tool belt as a collector item. Something to hold carts, spare Flashback controllers, a way to quickly draw/stow overlays, Eye drop bottle container, and a candy bar holder.

* “cool” is subjective.

• Like 3