IGNORED

Which Neo Geo Station game should I get

I've decided that instead of getting a NEo Geo that I will for now just buy a game on the PS3 and wait for the economy to pick up. Now my question, which game? I have Metal Slug so which other game is worth having. Any genre.

The list of games is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Store_Neo_Geo_games

When the economy picks up, the prices of high-end retro games generally pick up too. Prices are pretty damn good right now.

From the list in the link, Shock Troopers seems like a pretty good bet--unless it's too similar to metal slug for you. In that case, Baseball Stars 2 might be a better choice. However looking at that list of games--generally those suck. I hope that isn't really the complete list.

Edited by Reaperman

When the economy picks up, the prices of high-end retro games generally increase too. Prices are pretty damn good right now.

From the list in the link, Shock Troopers seems like a pretty good bet--unless it's too similar to metal slug for you. In that case, Baseball Stars 2 might be a better choice. However looking at that list of games--generally those suck. I hope that isn't really the complete list.

I fear it is. Neo Geo has an odd way of releasing their classics. They pick the garbage almost deliberatly then may or may not get the gems out. I suspect the X will be the same. People want Windjammers and Prehistoric Isle but we get 20 different fighters instead.

And by economy I mean my personal economy. I'm not convinced the global or even national economy really changes. People always just say that now is worse than before.

Edited by mkiker2089

...but we get 20 different fighters instead.

It's fair, since about half of the neo geo library are fighting games--but none on that list are anything I'd bother with. The fighters in 'the station' are generally in the sub-$20 range on mvs--they're that tired and old.

I hate emulation, especially neo geo emulation, but I will say that there are some better buys on ps2. No idea how well they play, though.

Edited by Reaperman

Do you have a Wii? There's a hell of a lot larger selection of Neo Geo games on Virtual Console:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Neo_Geo

From the PS3 list, Shock Troopers and Magician Lord are awesome. Most of the fighters available are early entries in their respective series and there are much better games later on. For example, King of Fighters 98-99 and Fatal Fury Special and Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

Wow, what a sorry list! Out of those, I'd buy either Mag Lord, Shock Troopers, or Baseball Stars 2. Depends on what kind of games you prefer.

Agreed, and considering how long it has been since they released anything one can assume it's the final list also. Perhaps the X will get better treatment.

I have a Wii U. Maybe they'll put them on it.

Neo Geo is strange how they release their classics. It seems like they are trying to keep the used prices high on the AES and MVS carts. Where's Prehistoric Isle? Windjammers?

You can access the Wii Virtual Console by booting your Wii U into Wii mode and opening the Wii Shop Channel.