IGNORED

Rana ROM images

MrMartian

Just now, Jeffrey Worley said:

From the last line in the rom, I see that it is the same version as the one I just replaced the other day.

Best,

Jeff

Cool. Thanks. I just ordered some 2732's from Jameco. (Paid too much, but didn't want to wait forever to get them from China, which is kind of weird, since this drive has been sitting on a shelf for a long time. ;)

Jeff, graciously is sending a crystal to me, it's clear I have a 8 MHz crystal and will need the change and I have to ROM that I need to burn saved off. So, I'm all set! Thanks, everyone!

Also, I loaded the ROM I need to burn into my burner and it does not have any RANA or other copyright information. Is that right? (It seems to have a lot of blank space at the end.)

Thank you.

10 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Cool. Thanks. I just ordered some 2732's from Jameco. (Paid too much, but didn't want to wait forever to get them from China, which is kind of weird, since this drive has been sitting on a shelf for a long time. ;)

Jeff, graciously is sending a crystal to me, it's clear I have a 8 MHz crystal and will need the change and I have to ROM that I need to burn saved off. So, I'm all set! Thanks, everyone!

Also, I loaded the ROM I need to burn into my burner and it does not have any RANA or other copyright information. Is that right? (It seems to have a lot of blank space at the end.)

Thank you.

Yeah.  It is right.  There is a substantial blank space towards the end of the rom and no copyright notice.  I was suspicious of the entire project until it actually worked.  It just seemed too good to be true.  LOL.  It works like gangbusters brother.

The mailman picked up your crystal this afternoon, so it is in route.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys

But it is nice to mention the people who created the ROM/Drive, because without them, there probably would not have been a RANA.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS for those who want to write: "but nobody will ever see it": Some of us do things because we think it's the right thing to do, even if nobody ever notices.

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

But it is nice to mention the people who created the ROM/Drive, because without them, there probably would not have been a RANA.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS for those who want to write: "but nobody will ever see it": Some of us do things because we think it's the right thing to do, even if nobody ever notices.

I have a theory that the reason the RANA company was so named is because the drive croaks when it is powered on, sounds like a frog.  RANA is frog in Spanish.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, toddtmw said:

I "think" I dumped the rom from mine. (This is the first time I've tried it.)

I compared your ROM with the 8031 ROM I believe I found at Fox1's Thunderdome:

https://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/rana-systems-1000/

RANA8031.ROM = COPYRIGHT  (C) RANA SYSTEMS INC.REV S1012830
CRC32: 0E581853

R1000C-AA1.BIN = COPYRIGHT  (C) RANA SYSTEMS INC.REV S110230
CRC32: 8ECF78A9

Definite visual differences throughout the dump, wonder what the differences are and how to interpret that code in the text string at the end. The first one could be seen as a date, but the second one doesn't seem to follow a recognizable date pattern...

7 hours ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

RANA is frog in Spanish.

It´s Latin. Many languages base on Latin. I´ve never been good in Latin (was my fist foreign language taught in school), but I remember the verb rana very well, especially as my Latin teacher was a big fan of frogs and iked to be called Mr. Rana.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skr said:

It´s Latin. Many languages base on Latin. I´ve never been good in Latin (was my fist foreign language taught in school), but I remember the verb rana very well, especially as my Latin teacher was a big fan of frogs and iked to be called Mr. Rana.

I have a soft-spot for them too, and turtles too.

2 hours ago, toddtmw said:

Sp. What about a 16mHz or 32mHz crystal? Can we get this thing up to modern hard drive speeds? :) :D 

Yeah no.. The 8031 is max 12mhz. And really, you're generally more limited to the overall system speed than raw CPU.

I mean, I could go faster than a 52.6K baud rate on any of these drives I have done. I picked that speed for a couple reasons.

1) that's the original 1050 US speed (0x0A), most compatible

2) Speeding up the baud rate doesn't do anything if the sectors are still spaced the same apart. The Atari sends a sector request, the drive waits for that sector, reads it, sends it back. If the transfer went faster, then there would just be more wait until the next sector came along

3) We could figure out a different sector interleave and baud rate that would work higher, and then see if I can achieve that speed.

That being said, do 'US Skew' formatters calculate the interleave to use based on the baud rate, or do they just use an interleave that they know works?

I found some 2732's I had laying around, they are blank, but they do not burn.

error! address:0x000000 buffer data:0x01 verify:0xFF

I looked at them and they say 21V FAST on them. I assume that means I need a 21V burner? Mine only appears to do 18.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

19 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

I looked at them and they say 21V FAST on them. I assume that means I need a 21V burner? Mine only appears to do 18.

Yes, most 2732s likely need 21v (or higher).

Just now, toddtmw said:

Sigh.

Anyone have a reasonably-priced recommendation for a 21V (or higher) burner?

Thanks.

It's annoying, isn't it? I have three device programmers here now, from my various years of buying new ones and then finding out that I needed to keep the old one around to program 'that device'..

I have the original TL866 that does 21v programming. The newer TL866II only goes to 18v (which is what I'm guessing you have).. I could program a device and mail it to you, but I don't know how well things are getting across the border these days..

41 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

Probably.  Most of these roms need 21volts.  I have a couple of Texas instruments versions that require 25volts (!!!), but, thank goodness, they seem to write just fine with my burner, which maxes out at 21volts.  I burnt them and set them aside.  Every so often I verify them.  So far so good.

If you need a rom burnt, just holler and I'll burn one and send it.  Right now all I have are the Texas Instruments ones.  I have ten 21volt ST brand chips coming from China some time this century.  China is not slow, but some vendors in China are very slow.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

I got the original tl866cs for that very reason.  I knew 21volts wasn't all that high either, but the newer ones do less.  So far I've not found a rom I couldn't burn.  It is very flexible and even tests most 74xxx series logic chips, a buncha static rams to.  They had trouble with clones, which mine may well be one of, and ceased to support the model I have, so I'm stuck with the older version of the software, but still, it works and I'm happy.

Best,

Jeff

13 minutes ago, MrMartian said:

My oldest programmer will even do 2708s and 2716s.. With the +/-5v and 25v. It's old and clunky and I need to keep an old DOS PC around for it, so I only get it out if I really really need to.. :)

I found an EEPROM that will direct swap for the 2716.  I bought ten or more but only one turned out to actually work.  It DOES work though.  That said, I tried it in place of the mathpack rom on an 800 personality board in need of that chip and it just freaks out.  Something to do with timing.  The same eeprom worked fine in my Percom.  Go figure.

38 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

This is really annoying. I mean, I know this stuff is old, but how can there not be a way to program these things? It's just crazy.

For 2764 and up it is easier as there are pin-compatible eeproms that will substitute well.  I use 256k eproms for OSroms on the Atari in place of the 2764's.  You just write the same code 4 times to the chip and it works peachy.  For 2732 though there is more work involved and I still use the real thing.

Hello Nezgar

15 hours ago, Nezgar said:

RANA8031.ROM = COPYRIGHT  (C) RANA SYSTEMS INC.REV S1012830
CRC32: 0E581853

R1000C-AA1.BIN = COPYRIGHT  (C) RANA SYSTEMS INC.REV S110230
CRC32: 8ECF78A9

...The first one could be seen as a date, but the second one doesn't seem to follow a recognizable date pattern...

Are you sure about the "INC.REV" of the second ROM?  It's one character shorter than the top one.  Or maybe the left the "8" out on purpose.

Sincerely

Mathy

36 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Are you sure about the "INC.REV" of the second ROM?  It's one character shorter than the top one.  Or maybe the left the "8" out on purpose.

Yeah, the last byte is a $00 where there is an additional digit in the first...