IGNORED

Who's excited for Disney Infinity?

goldenegg

As a huge Disney fan, I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on Disney Infinity! I'm really hoping the sandbox mode is as cool as all the videos online make it look. I have a feeling this will be a major time sink and hopefully it will be successful enough for more character and play sets to be released.

My wife pre-ordered the game and some extra characters for my birthday, so I won't be playing it until the 25th. I'll buy whatever series 1 content I don't end up getting as gifts. As much as I'm looking forward to it, I'm okay with waiting as I still have several games I need to finish first. If I don't finish the games now, I probably won't come back to them for quite a while after starting Infinity.

Anyone else really excited for this game? What characters/playsets are you planing to get?

I'd love to start a collection of this stuff but Skylanders took all my money and space. :P

Thankfully, I never had an interest in Skylanders. I recently picked up Spyro's Adventure for the 3DS, but only because it was on sale for $10. I have no plans to buy additional figures for it.

Infinity is likely to continue taking my money for some time to come. I'll admit that it's hard waiting to play the game until next weekend, especially knowing that the game and most of series 1 are just sitting in a bag until my birthday. I'll try to focus my time at finally finishing Pikmin 3 and the 3 games I've started on Steam.

I have spontaneously decided to boycott all things Disney because I have decided that their stance on copyright is actively harmful to cultural development, preservation of cultural works and the public domain, so no, I'm not buying Disney Infinity. :P

That, and I wouldn't have enough money anyway. :ponder:

Edited by Segataritensoftii

I like the game now that I've seen gameplay of it. There's two issues from me jumping in right now though.

1. I get my 3rd party releases on my PS3, and apparently it has some major bugs when saving or pausing menus that cause the system to crash. I'll only consider a purchase once a patch is released.

2. It's simply too much money. I get it, you get 5 hours more gameplay per "toy" you buy, and that's great. But to even start, none the less to get the characters I'd want to play with, would cost an arm and a leg. Money I'd honestly rather put towards something more concrete, like Nintendo or Sony titles I've been holding off.

Or ya know, since I'm unemployed right now, food.

They looked at it from the point of view of first-time gamers. Other reviews looked at it from the point of more experienced gamers. As it's a Disney product it's no doubt aimed at a younger audience but even with the Toy Box there does seem to be a lack of depth to the games which can affect its longevity. I don't own Skylanders and probably never will but I have seen a friend's son play it and it's quite an impressive game where the use of different characters within the game are part of the fun and makes you want to buy more characters.

From what I've seen so far, DI doesn't have that same feel to it. It just looks like a way for Disney to push their toys. If the games are so limited and lack challenge, there's no real incentive to go out and buy the extra packs.

I did think about getting it for my daughter for Christmas but, given that she's just completed Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS, she'll probably get bored with it. Then again she still gives My Horse and Me 2 (we still buy Atari ;) ) a regular airing on the Wii. That's not a particularly challenging game.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

The only negative reviews I've seen so far are from Gamesradar and DigitalSpy. IGN, Gametrailers, Forbes, GameInformer and Polygon have all rated the game 8/10 or higher.

Disney Infinity isn't supposed to be a challenging game. It's pretty much a 3D LBP with Disney characters and environments. The single player campaigns play with a similar style to Lego games, while the Toy Box allows you do to nearly anything you'd like. Do you consider LBP to only be for 'first time gamers'?

Maybe Little Big Planet?

If it were more like L4D I might bite.

I was checking the Infinity out ot TRU yesterday.

These figures at $13.99 are just a rip-off in my opinion. However after visiting Disney World in Orlando a couple months ago, I'm convinced that's just the Disney way. I might consider snagging this if I could get the starter kit for $20 and figures for $5.

I got caught up with the first Skylanders and bought a few additional characters and sets, but then quickly lost interest when store shelves were empty but eBay and Craig's List were full.

If you check out eBay and Amazon, the re-sellers are all over them with inflated prices all ready. Example: $15 Toy's R Us Crystal figures are already being sold with prices at $49.99 and up; one woman on Amazon had 12 of one character to sell at $55 each.

I'll pass on Disney as I just won't get involved with trying to complete a set of a particular group but the only place to buy is from a re-seller at re-seller mark ups.

• Like 2

I got caught up with the first Skylanders and bought a few additional characters and sets, but then quickly lost interest when store shelves were empty but eBay and Craig's List were full.

If you check out eBay and Amazon, the re-sellers are all over them with inflated prices all ready. Example: $15 Toy's R Us Crystal figures are already being sold with prices at $49.99 and up; one woman on Amazon had 12 of one character to sell at $55 each.

I'll pass on Disney as I just won't get involved with trying to complete a set of a particular group but the only place to buy is from a re-seller at re-seller mark ups.

That behaviour pisses me off so much. The Toys R Us near my house had a ton of the crystal figures available this afternoon. I'm not sure how limited they'll end up being. I just picked up one for myself, along with the Power Disc for Mike's car.

I'll admit that I don't like this whole thing with Toys R Us exclusive items. I can honestly do without the crystal figures, but the exclusive Power Discs have the potential to be quite cool. I'm not thrilled about the way they generally handle Power Disc sales either. Blind buying packs is silly. I haven't decided what I'll end up doing with my doubles yet, but I doubt they'll be easy to get rid of, as many people will have the same doubles.

Blind buying packs is silly. I haven't decided what I'll end up doing with my doubles yet, but I doubt they'll be easy to get rid of, as many people will have the same doubles.

I agree. It's just a cash grab in my opinion. Did they think kids were going to want to collect those Power Disks? Maybe kids would play pog games with the extras?

I agree. It's just a cash grab in my opinion. Did they think kids were going to want to collect those Power Disks? Maybe kids would play pog games with the extras?

My local Toys R Us is have a Power Disc 'swap day' in September. It's for kids (there is an age limit posted) to come and swap discs with each other. I'm not sure if that's happening at other locations too. I have a feeling there will be a lot of disappointed kids who can't get rid of their extras. Parents might also avoid this event outright, as their kids are undoubtably going to want to buy more figures and accessories while at the store.

Edited by goldenegg

I broke down this evening and opened my birthday gift a few days early :) I'm absolutely loving this game!

The Play Sets feel very similar to the Lego series of games. The game genres are scaled back just enough to remain fun. There's a lot of humor thrown about the game, so you'll definitely catch yourself laughing quite a bit. I'm actually having more fun in the Infinity Play Sets than I had playing Lego Undercover. There are some camera control issues which get a little annoying, so I'm hoping that gets patched at some point.

The Toy Box is awesome. I've only spent an hour or so in it, so I've barely scratched the surface. There are a lot of toys to unlock, so I'm probably going to spend more time in the play sets first. The tutorials are pretty decent from what I've seen so far and the build tools seem pretty straightforward to use. Hopefully it'll be easier to build things here than in LBP.

I'm quite impressed with the quality of the figures. I always thought the Skylanders figures felt cheap (at least the first series), but I definitely don't get that impression with these. I was expecting to toss these figures in a drawer, but they're definitely getting display space in our rec room.

I haven't played around with Power Discs yet. Out of 6 packs, I have 10 unique discs and 3 duplicates (one disc comes in the starter set). I made the mistake of buying the Power Disc binder. The reason that's a mistake is due to the fact each disc has a specific spot in the binder. Now I'm going to want to get all the discs, just to fill the spots. Honestly, I may get rid of the binder just because of that. I do want to get a few more packs of discs though, as there are a couple more discs I'd like to have.

Would I recommend this game? Definitely. Disney fans shouldn't even think twice about picking this up. The opening sequence alone will be enough to put a huge smile across your face. Obviously this isn't for those who only want 'hardcore' games. If you enjoy the lighter side of gaming, especially games where you can mess around and do your own thing, then this is a game for you.

I'm definitely looking forward to exploring this game more over the coming weeks. There's a ton of stuff to discover and I've only used 2 out of my 14 characters so far.

• Like 1

Thanks for the write-up goldenegg.

Still debating whether to buy into DI for my kids... I'd rather not buy anything beyond the base set initially but it seems like it really limits the multiplayer options. I've read that you need an extra character from each movie to play the corresponding 'play set' in two player. Does the 'toy box' mode allow three players with the included base set characters? How's the quality of the current DI 'toy box' community levels? Are they similar to LBP quality?

You definitely need to buy more characters if you want local multiplayer in the Play Sets, as characters need to match the franchise of the set. You can mix and match characters in the Toy Box, but only 2 players can play locally. I believe you can have more people playing together online, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

I haven't downloaded any of the community levels yet, but the levels currently available are all created by Disney. User levels will be coming out in the coming weeks. Unlike Little Big Planet, only selected levels will be made publicly available and each are fully examined by Disney to ensure all content is family friendly.

Tonight I'm going to see if I can complete The Incredibles playlet and then I'll start learning more about the Toy Boy. I ordered the Prima guide for the game yesterday, as I've heard there's a lot of great information in there. I'm not usually one to buy guides, but this seems like a game that deserves one.