IGNORED

Ghostbusters' woes!

D.Yancey

This is not one of Activisions' best games. Even with a joint effort between Crane and Kitchen it doesn't hold up to the quality of their earlier games. I'm glad I never bought this one as a kid! But, I finally figured out how to play Ghostbusters. It took me a little while to finally get it! A sincere reading of the manual was the biggest help of all! :roll: Anyway, I decided to go for Todd's world record of 999,999! Little did I know how long of a marathon this would require! :!:

About 3.5 hours later I had achieved a score of 500,000+. I was a little relieved as I knew I was half way there. However, there are no second chances in this game! No extra lives or anything! One mistake and you are finished. Even though it is a pretty easy game-- it's a tall order not to make a mistake in a 7+ hour marathon. I did make that mistake! I think I flipped the switch too early when baiting the marshmallow man and he stomped on the block for a loss of $4000. My game abruptly ended with 511,400 points. I was $2100 short of my $10,000 goal for the round(1 marshmallow man and 1 slimer!). Maybe I'll get it next time. I know my skill level is high enough to achieve the record!

Other critical things that could easily end a marathon record attempt on Ghostbusters:

1. Get lazy and forget to buy bait on the startup screen every time.

2. One little power surge on the electricity.

3. Bump your console to hard and it "winks out" while fumbling with the difficulty switches so many times during every round!

4. Missing the marshmallow man even one time!!

5. Buy the wrong item or too many traps and spend too much money. You can't give anything back once the button has been pushed!

I may not have time for another marathon like this for awhile, but wish me luck when I do! :D Activision Forever!! 8)

This is not one of Activisions' best games. Even with a joint effort between Crane and Kitchen it doesn't hold up to the quality of their earlier games.

I disagree, I thought for what it was, it was a pretty good port. Granted, it's not the SMS version, but about as good as you can hope on the 2600. I always had fun. It does get frustrating, but hang in there and it's addicting.

It's no Pitfall II, but GB plays okay.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too. Once you get on a roll, Ghostbusters is EASY. I could hit Todd's record as well, but I haven't the time or interest to just sit and play Ghostbusters for 7+ hours. I mean, its fun for the first 2 hours, but then its just repetitive and the difficulty does not ramp. The toughest part is getting under the Marshmallow Man at the end of each round.

So, Todd can keep his record, I have better things to do.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too.  Once you get on a roll, Ghostbusters is EASY.  I could hit Todd's record as well, but I haven't the time or interest to just sit and play Ghostbusters for 7+ hours.  I mean, its fun for the first 2 hours, but then its just repetitive and the difficulty does not ramp.  The toughest part is getting under the Marshmallow Man at the end of each round.

So, Todd can keep his record, I have better things to do.

Yeah, the difficulty does not ramp and it IS very repetitive. However, I think, Todd's record will soon be matched! :D

The only thing I didn't like about this game was the music. The C64 version looks better sure, but the 2600 version's graphics do the job just fine. After hearing what Pitfall 2 sounded like all those years ago, I would have thought that Activision would have put the extra time and money to make a great soundtrack.

If someone wanted to change ghost busters, that's the only thing I'd ask, better music.

The game is decent otherwise. I love the sucking of slimers while driving, that's just cool, to bad it gives you no $$ for doing that.

Heh, I like ghost busters enough on 2600, that I've been continually dissappointed at the various "Activision classics" for (put system here) for not including this game. I even liked it enough it's got it's own atari now. (I modified it so that I have a remote box with the difficulty switches and such in it so I have them close at hand, rather than on my touchy system)

I've seen many complaints about the difficulty of going beneath the marshmallow man at the end of a round. I treat it exactly like one of the condors in Pitfall II. His feet stomp up and down just like the condor's wings. This is the most maddening part, but its just timing. If you get stomped, then you missed the small window of opportunity to get through. His feet stomp in a pattern that slightly changes left to right positioning just like the condors. And you only need to get through 2 out of 3 times to win!! Good luck everyone!

The game is decent otherwise. I love the sucking of slimers while driving, that's just cool, to bad it gives you no $$ for doing that.  

Yeah, that was a downer. The other versions I've played gave you money for ghosts sucked up on the street. Why couldn't the 2600?

Heh, I like ghost busters enough on 2600, that I've been continually dissappointed at the various "Activision classics" for (put system here) for not including this game.

That's because it's copyrighted material. Double Dragon hasn't appeared on compilations, either.

I know that. I have a copy of double dragon somewhere, Man, that games' hard as hell compared to it on anything else. :lol

Yeah, It's understandable that Activision wouldn't want to pay (who owns it) for the right to make copies of ghost busters. To bad, It's one of my more favorite games. Oh, that, and Pitfall II Why is that not on any of the Activision classics?

Tonight I decided to go for Todd's record of 999,999 again. I played 6.5 hours and got to a score of 763,400. I found another way to lose without even messing up in my gameplay. At the end of each round you must hit the "game select" switch to get back to the equipment store and begin the next round. My switch kind of stuck just for a millisecond. It registered as being pushed a second time after the store screen had appeared and it reset the game back to the start! Man, this is one frustrating thing to happen. I hope I will finish this 8+ hour marathon on my next attempt without further incident. I always fear the momentary power spike. This recently killed one of my River Raid II marathon games, but it only takes about 3.5 hours to get through. I think Ghostbusters is THE LONGEST MARATHON game made by Activision that actually ends at 999,999. Some of their games do not max out/end. Up until now Cosmic Commuter and Rampage took me the longest to get to 1,000,000(about 6 hours each). Ghostbusters has really got them beat for a loooong game. :sad: :? :ponder: :x

• 2 months later...

Well, since I last posted to this thread, I've made several attempts at Todd's Ghostbusters record of 999,999. I simply could not get through it due to my select and reset switches being touchy on my 2600's. I lost every time I tried due to the game getting reset (you've got to hit these switches at the end of each round-- about 80 times in a record game).

Anyway, I recently got a 7800 and I decided to try to play Ghostbusters on it. I had success! :D I finally attained a score of 999,999 to tie Todd's record on Twin Galaxies. (I'll send out a VHS for verification soon.) I've gotten faster at scoring points. It only took me 7.5 hours this time to go all the way. And I must say, I'm glad that this marathon it over! ;)

Laser Blast was the only Activison game I submitted for a patch on - repetitive yes :(

I did recently get 999,999 on CHopper COmmand which I thought was darn near impossible - turns out it was pretty easy ;)

Megamania is next though Im no where near 999,999 on that one :x

Wow, congrats at reaching your goal dude.  Now that you hit the 999,999 mark on ghost busters, what's your next big undertaking?

Maybe Commando? I was hoping for Kaboom! and Plaque Attack, but no success yet. VERY difficult for me!

Someone wrote Laser Blast---Already did this one! :P :o :P