IGNORED

Intellivision hardware issues...

Greg2600

By virtue of two ebay auctions, I find myself with 3 Intellivisions. LOL. Anyway, they all have some type of issue.

1. one is dated 1979 and works with a really good RF signal. Controller 1 is sketchy, not responding really at all.

2. Another is dated 1981 but won't load a game just getting a black screen with no sound. Tried de-oxit cleaner all over the place.

3. Third is the Sylvania model some probably saw me talk about on the ebay thread. That one works, but will not start a game after switching it on until I hit the reset button. Bizarre.

Any insight on what to do about these problems? *Note that I have no voltage testing equipment, and am terrible with that stuff anyway. Thanks!

The reset issue on the Sylvania is somewhat common on the oldest versions in my experience. After you hit reset it plays fine?

Yes it does.

Steal a controller from #2 to replace the broken one on #1.

On #3, I theorize that the power switch needs a good cleaning, and dielectric grease applied.

I've sprayed the heck out of it. I'll probably just cannibalize it for the controller, and put it on AA for someone who needs parts or can fix it.

Take the controller apart, clean it, and carefully put it together exactly the same way it came apart.

If you take the controller off of the motherboard pins, you have to make sure that you put it back on correctly, or the controller won't work.

Usually, with a good cleaning, and putting the controller back together tightly, it fixes many of the issues.

Reset hitting is necessary to start some games. It is 'Standard Operating Procedure' to start a game by reset.

I tried cleaning, it seems like it could be the flex circuit, because I swapped it with a circuit from another controller, and it works better but not perfectly. Keeps making a buzzing noise like the wrong numpad button is being pressed. I also opened the one that isn't working, and I see the light blue cylindrical capacitor (I guess) leaked out beneath it.

Edited by Greg2600

3. Third is the Sylvania model some probably saw me talk about on the ebay thread. That one works, but will not start a game after switching it on until I hit the reset button. Bizarre.

Most of the units I've ever used require a reset after power on. Guess they've all been well-loved. That's a very minor issue really. :D

1 needs a new controller matrix replacement or a gentle clean. If that fails the sound chip may be faulty.

2 The black screen could either be bad/missing voltages thanks to a broken ribbon cable or power board. Replace the leaky capacitor. Check ribbon cable continuity and voltages at the 5 pins on the power board output. Next option is cart slot pins broken, dirty or bent. Next is dead CP1610 cpu or three dead transistors near cpu.

3 is entirely normal.

-J

Edited by HunterZero

So I tried numerous controllers on #1 and still would get poor results. Seems like one of the buttons thinks it's being pressed when it's not. Then I went and swapped out the baige colored PCB from #1 to #2, and bingo, #2 is now working! So I frankensteined 1 out of 2 at least.

• Like 1

What to do is emulate your intelly games on a Wii or Ouya or something similar. I got fed up with the bad RF signal and horrible controllers, so that's exactly what I did. I am LOVING these games now, many of which I previously found annoying to unplayable.

What controller you are using that makes INTV games playable on an emulator?

So I tried numerous controllers on #1 and still would get poor results. Seems like one of the buttons thinks it's being pressed when it's not. Then I went and swapped out the baige colored PCB from #1 to #2, and bingo, #2 is now working! So I frankensteined 1 out of 2 at least.

So #2 had a bad power supply board, most definitely the leaky cap (missing some of the voltage will give you black screen), and #1 most likely has a logic board with a bad sound chip. If you replace the bad cap and find a replacement sound chip, I'm pretty sure you'd have a third working unit.

- J

And how do you do the keypad with these?

I've got Intellivision LIves for PS2, and the emulation is good. However, it doesn't really do the keypad right, so for me, it is unplayable.

The keypad is mapped to the right joystick on the Classic controller or to the Nunchuk joystick, depending on which setup you prefer. It takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, but it actually ends up being far better than the keypad, as you can trigger stuff with just a flick of your thumb. Trust me, this is the way to play Intelly. Did I mention the gorgeous picture through component outs?

Edited by DoctorTom