IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

I am launching a web site that is a high score registry based on peer review. The site is HighScore.com. This has been a personal project (obsession) of mine over the last 4 months. I did all of the programming myself (which means it is probably going to be pretty buggy!).

I need beta testers (to help me find bugs and provide feedback), and I also need to kick-start participation so that the database gets populated with scores. I am hoping that some AtariAge members will be willing to help me out.

To encourage participation, I am going to offer prizes to AtariAge members who will help me with the beta.

The idea behind the site is to enable average players to see how they rank relative to their peers. The site can show users how they rank in their city, state, country, and the world, and awards trophy icons (a.k.a. badges) to users who hold the highest score in their region.

Users can submit scores along with photos or videos to document their accomplishment, then other site users can vote on whether or not they believe the score is legit. After the voting is finished, the user will receive any trophies they qualify for, and they will then also receive a ranking.

I will purchase $50 Atari Age store gift certificates to beta participants who accomplish one of the following:

1. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600), Game 1, Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

2. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Lady Bug (Atari 2600), Game 1 (Standard), Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

3. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for U.F.O. (Odyssey 2) at end of contest (no emulation)

4. Most user points (user points are earned by winning trophies and voting on other user's scores)

5. Most "Worldwide" trophies held at end of contest (uncracked)

6. Most "First" trophies (given to user with the first recognized score for any game)

7. Top trophy cracker (user who cracks the most trophies held by other users)

8. Most votes cast for/against other user's scores

9. Best bug hunter: User who submits the most helpful bug reports.

10. Best feedback submissions

The contest will end on 10/31/2013. There will be a total of 10 gift certificates awarded ($50 each, for a total prize pool of $500).

If you want to be eligible for the contest, please register using the sign-up code "AtariAge". This will enable me to identify who the contest participants are. (Non-AtariAge members will not be eligible for the prizes.)

Regardless of who wins, any member who helps me out by participating in the beta will have my sincere gratitude.

Thanks

• Like 8

It would be good if we could upload pics as evidence or if the site accepted more pics hosting servers.

I could put all my AtariAge HSC records but all pics are stored here, not in the servers highscore.com accepts.

Great suggestion. I will work on adding support for AtariAge hosted photos today.

You might want to run your ideas past Al when it comes to external sites accessing AA content directly.

You're right. I'll hold off on that for now, but will look instead to add support for other photo hosting services.

If you want to be eligible for the contest, please register using the sign-up code "AtariAge".

forgive me for not understanding... do you mean I should create a new account, with "AtariAge" as the password?

also, thank you for doing it! I'm glad to see this happening

• Like 1

forgive me for not understanding... do you mean I should create a new account, with "AtariAge" as the password?

also, thank you for doing it! I'm glad to see this happening

When you register on the site, it will prompt you at the end for a registration code. You can enter AtariAge in that field, or just PM me on here to let me know you registered and want to participate in the contest.

Users can submit scores along with photos or videos to document their accomplishment, then other site users can vote on whether or not they believe the score is legit. After the voting is finished, the user will receive any trophies they qualify for, and they will then also receive a ranking.

I will purchase $50 Atari Age store gift certificates to beta participants who accomplish one of the following:

1. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600), Game 1, Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

2. User holding "Worldwide" trophy for Lady Bug (Atari 2600), Game 1 (Standard), Expert mode (A) at end of contest (no emulation)

How are you going to know that someone played Lady Bug or Yars' Revenge in "Expert mode" by photo verification only?

Its up to the site's users to review the evidence and vote on whether they believe the score is legit.

I would award the prize(s) to whomever is determined through the voting to have the highest qualifying score.

What all systems are allowed on High Score (dot) com? Also, can the site allow the use of images from Photobucket? Third, I created an account and forgot to use the "AtariAge" code. I will be posting a score before the night is over with. Good to see more high score options on cyberspace.

What all systems are allowed on High Score (dot) com?

Any system is allowed, though it may not be in the database, yet. There is a request form that you can use to ask for the addition of any game for any system.

Umm...can't upload my score made tonight. The Atari 5200 is not supported. :( Bummer.

I'm adding some 5200 and 7800 games to the database today.

If you ever see a game you want to post a score for that isn't in the database, just let me know, and I'll add it. You can PM me on here, or submit it through the request form.

Also, can the site allow the use of images from Photobucket?

Yes. Photobucket, Imageshack, and Imgur are currently supported, as well as Youtube. I will be adding more services in the future.

Third, I created an account and forgot to use the "AtariAge" code. I will be posting a score before the night is over with. Good to see more high score options on cyberspace.

I will add the sign-up code for you.

Well, this is a Beta, so I am looking for user feedback to help me make it better.

I have to use image hosting sites to prevent people from inserting malicious content into the site, and to keep my costs down.

When you paste in the link to the photo, you have to use the type of link it that is a direct link to the photo, so it can be embedded in the page. There are instructions for each site that are displayed after you make your selection.

I know this process can be improved, and I will be looking for ways to make it better.

Well, your evidence is going to be a photograph showing a score. In the case of Lady Bug, there is no way of telling if the game was played in Expert or Novice mode.

I don't think you can with Yar's Revenge but with Lady Bug it is easy. The score is a different color depending on the difficulty played.

Novice = Green-ish

Standard = Purple-ish

Expert = Orange-ish

If you see photos submitted with a green or purple score for the competition then it was not played on expert level.

• Like 1