IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

One small thing > I was wondering why there are two menu options for voting: "Vote (and earn points)" and "Waiting on Votes". Waiting on votes seems to cover everything ;)

Hmm.. Good point.

There is a functional difference, but both versions accomplish something very similar. The rapid-fire approach of the "Vote and Earn Points" is intended to make it quick/easy for people to vote on various scores, if they aren't looking for a specific one. The page you suggested seems more oriented towards helping people who want to vote on a score for a specific game or category.

Maybe I should move the "Waiting on Votes" link to the "Vote" page? Like an option to view all scores waiting on votes, instead of just the rapid-fire voting approach. That way, users can choose, and it will save space in the left navigation area.

Serious,

About the site High Score (dot) com, what do I like? The layout in general, and the statistics of each user (scores, points earned and legit rate in special).

My ideas for this site is to disqualify (remove) the scores which have been submitted in the following situation: LEGIT rate 40% OR LESS, after counting the minimum of 10 votes. And sorry for the possible mistake which I made when I gave my feedback at this site ("Give Your Feedback" section).

Again, I would like to state THIS SITE IS VERY , VERY INTERESTING.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

My ideas for this site is to disqualify (remove) the scores which have been submitted in the following situation: LEGIT rate 40% OR LESS, after counting the minimum of 10 votes. And sorry for the possible mistake which I made when I gave my feedback at this site ("Give Your Feedback" section).

I think this is an excellent idea.

In fact, it occurs to me now that if something like this is not implemented, the areas that show scores that are waiting on votes could eventually fill up with old submissions that have no chance of passing.

I will plan on implementing something along the lines of your suggestion in the next few days.

Thanks very much for the suggestion!

Not any more. Twin Galaxies was dropped by Guinness since they began charging $ to verify scores.

I'm not surprised they did. I'm feeling sorry for Walter Day his amazing Twin Galaxies is turning into a money machine due to the involvement of Richie Knucklez and "friends" ;(

But......we now have a great alternative: highscore.com :)

Thanks for clarifying Rmaerz !

Hmm.. Good point.

There is a functional difference, but both versions accomplish something very similar. The rapid-fire approach of the "Vote and Earn Points" is intended to make it quick/easy for people to vote on various scores, if they aren't looking for a specific one. The page you suggested seems more oriented towards helping people who want to vote on a score for a specific game or category.

Maybe I should move the "Waiting on Votes" link to the "Vote" page? Like an option to view all scores waiting on votes, instead of just the rapid-fire voting approach. That way, users can choose, and it will save space in the left navigation area.

I think having one "Vote menu option" would work well. But I can't seem to figure out what would be the best name for this menu option:

"Waiting on Votes" > it's immediately clear for users they will get a summary of high scores that still need votes to be acknowledged.

"Vote (and earn points)" > it's immediately clear for users they will earn points when voting which will possibly motivate them to vote.

I like both equally.....I think it should be a mix of both. Maybe something like "Waiting on Votes (Earn points)" .....?

High Score will never charge users for submitting scores. Ever.

I like that :)

Two questions / suggestions I came up with ;)

1. When you search for a particular game and it's showing high scores which are waiting on votes I think the "vote button" should be visible. This will allow the user to immediately see the details of the submission and choose to submit their vote.

2. What will happen with high scores which you have voted for and have a legit percentage of less than 70% ? Will these high scores - after you have voted - not be visible when you would search for that particular game ? If not, shouldn't it be visible with maybe a remark like "not yet acknowledged"...?

Edited by GimmeClassics

Two questions / suggestions I came up with ;)

1. When you search for a particular game and it's showing high scores which are waiting on votes I think the "vote button" should be visible. This will allow the user to immediately see the details of the submission and choose to submit their vote.

Agreed. I will implement this.

2. What will happen with high scores which you have voted for and have a legit percentage of less than 70% ? Will these high scores - after you have voted - not be visible when you would search for that particular game ? If not, shouldn't it be visible with maybe a remark like "not yet acknowledged"...?

These are currently still visible in the search results after you have voted on them.

When I implement oyamafamily's suggestion, scores that "fail" after a certain number of votes would be removed from the site, and would no longer appear in search results. But as long as voting is still in progress, they should show up in the search results even after you have voted on them.

@ Serious > your website is improving every day. Keep up the good work :)

I read your message about adding my initials to my username. How do I change my username ? I've tried changing it on "Your Home Page" and "View Your Profile" without any luck... >> UPDATE: sorry, I figured it out ;)

Edited by GimmeClassics

I read your message about adding my initials to my username. How do I change my username ? I've tried changing it on "Your Home Page" and "View Your Profile" without any luck...

You don't have to change your username to add your initials. Your initials are in a separate area (but will be displayed next to your username on the voting page).

On your user home page (after you login), at the top of the screen (to the right of your avatar), there are links that will allow you to add your initials, Twitter handle, etc.

Agreed. Its great to see where I am in the competition.

I have added additional stats to the League page, which correspond to most of the contest objectives:

• Rankings of league members by "Worldwide" Trophy Count
  • Rankings of league members by "First" Trophy Count
  • Rankings of league members by the number of votes they have cast
  • Rankings of league members by the number of trophies they have cracked

At present, these members are the ones winning the following categories:

Most points: yarjr

"Worldwide" trophy count: yarjr

"First" trophy count: yarjr

Top trophy cracker: kamakaze20012

Votes cast: oyamafamily

There are currently no qualifying scores by AtariAge members on the 3 games for which additional prizes are being offered.

• Like 1

Heres a thought and though no necessary would be interesting. Why not add more social network features to the site? For example we have profiles so why not be able to add friends and have them displayed on our profile like here on Atari age? Why not also have status updates? These two features would make it much more social. Just a thought.

I agree, and I do plan to have something like a friends lists in the future.

I hadn't thought of status updates, though. It is an interesting idea, and should be easy to implement.

I have lots of ideas and plans for the site, and you guys are giving me lots of great ideas as well.

• Like 1

Highscore.com motivates submitters to use video as proof of their score.

Up until now I've only used a snapshot as proof of my score and I unfortunately got a few "not legit"-votes :( :( :( :(

Which video recording software do you recommend for recording M.A.M.E. games ?

kamakazi20012 may be able to make some suggestions regarding software.

I use a camera and a cheap tripod for everything, including my MAME scores.

I usually use my iPod touch to record the games I'm playing on a television, but I have been having some reliability issues with it, so I've also used the web cam on my laptop, and a cheap Android device.

Sorry for not responding sooner...been busy keeping an eye on High Score (dot) com which has taken number one of my most visited web sites (next to AA of course ;) ).

To answer your question, I located a video capturing software app for Windows machines that seems promising. It's called ZD Soft Screen Recorder and can capture more than just MAME video games. Anything you want it to record, in AVI format, it will from desktop to full-screen apps. It even tried to record a video I was editing in Adobe After Effects. Once loaded and set the far-right most function keys are used to operate the recorder. As well, it will be on your task bar with the other hidden icons. Just right click on it's icon (which looks like a LCD screen) and choose the option you wish. So far, the sample video I did playing Galaxian with MAME turned out good, but there is a downside which I will now mention.

The program has two options: Download Free or Buy Now. Naturally anything free is always a good thing, right? I have not tested the software enough to see what the limitations are but any videos created with the free version will have the web site address of the program randomly positioned in timely intervals throughout the entire video playback. The plus side is that it will capture what you are after and a 4 minute video only took about 30 MB which is considerably less than what I've been able to get FCEUx to do.

For those interested here is the link to the software: http://www.zdsoft.com/screen-recorder/ I hope this helps.

After playing a LOT of Famicom games, I'm now searching websites for places to pick up an actual Famicom and a few games. And, no, I can't read Japanese at all but hopefully the internet will have something to help in that department.

I will be posting a few scores on Famicom games on High Score's website sometime tonight.

I use aTube Catcher Software to record my gameplay videos, played from emulators. It's 100% free and easy to use.

Eventually, I use Windows Movie Maker to divide my videos into 2 or more parts, specially longer videos.

aTube Catcher Software? That's a new one on me. I might have to look into it.

Meant to ask Serious something and forgot: When posting scores for NES/Famicom, if the game is the same but titled different does it matter? For example: Life Force and Salamander. Both are essentially the same game. The real differences are the HUD details and title screen (Salamander wins this one easily) and I'm not sure if the ending is different or not. If it makes a difference then I will request the game on High Score.