IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

The guys who purchased the entire stock from the Dhein's Tru-Value Hardware store out of Ames, Iowa were Isellhomeszach and fiftiesfanfromiowa. I'm not sure where pixelperfect80s got his stash from, as it includes a lot of non-TI items.

On the $350 PEB, he probably found the original price sticker on the box and is trying to sell it for that price. . .as that was the initial list price for an empty PEB.

• Like 1

...and sometimes there is coming up this bargain with Scott´s 12+1 Adventures-all-in-one :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252434543655

For that price, the fact that I haven't actually tested my tape recorder yet, and that I neither have nor want a PEB and disk drive, I think I'm likely to fall back on software piracy for that one. :P

On the $350 PEB, he probably found the original price sticker on the box and is trying to sell it for that price. . .as that was the initial list price for an empty PEB.

Damn! Even though the exchange rate was about the same (0.77 compared to 0.76 today), back in 1984 when I bought my first PEB (used) it cost me $600 CAD...now that did come with a SSSD drive and controller, but I then had to fork out nearly $300 for 32K and an RS232.

I remember it clearly because up until that point, it was the most expensive purchase I had ever made (in 1984 I made just over 20,000 (take-home was probably closer to 15) and paid $500 a month rent for a 3 bedroom house, so the PEB cost me just under a month's wages and about 2 months' rent!!! - heck, I only paid $550 for the used 1978 Pontiac I was driving!)

<GRIN!>

Technically the Pontiac did, but only because I switched from TI to Atari before I ran it into a ditch and bent the frame.

I would wager though, that the PEB is actually still fully functional somewhere. A seemingly familiar scratch on the front of the one I own today (and the fact that so few were sold in Southern Ontario back in the day), often makes me wonder if I'm now using the same one I sold all those years ago. Unlikely of course, but fun to ponder.

• Like 1

Looks like there is already a FlashROM (eng) case on the market. . .

Not bad, but it looks a little 'rough' though. With the current exchange rate it's $41.19 USD with shipping.

I'm tempted, but I'm curious where your are at Ksarul with your mold of the Romox case. I'd rather do business with you if you think yours will be ready within a month or so.

gallery_35324_1027_48114.jpg

Anyone here purchase one yet? It looks like a button could easily be made to just slide into the square hole and rest on top of the actual reset button.

I like his method for the LED...

gallery_35324_1027_466147.jpg

Hey guys.

I'm the one listing those on eBay

It's not really that bad. I'll try to post some better pics shortly. PLA is shinnier than ABS... and to make the text visible in the pics, lighting and angle makes it look uglier than it really looks in your hands. About the button... Well i tried to do something similar as you guys said, but didn't look good (i was trying to hold it tho.... not just simply slided in the square tube). But you gave me an idea... i'll give it a try later [ :)]

Cheers!

Edited by c0d3m4st4
  • Like 2

Here are the extra pics...

Some extra pics with a bit different lighing... in the first 3 pics i'm just trying to show those traces are not as bad as they look like... it is a bit hard to picture these.

IMG_20160629_132805.jpg IMG_20160629_132807.jpg IMG_20160629_132810.jpg IMG_20160629_132819.jpgIMG_20160629_132828.jpg

Here is a different way of printing the top part... upside down... with the raised part of the case touching the build plate you get that part perfectly plane but the other one is really ugly.. now that's UGLY :D Last pic is the support structure used... in these ones it's only used under the large surface where i placed the letters and logo later. And in the version above (eBay one), it is placed under the whole top part of the case (remember is printed upside down), so the really ugly part is under the case. Compare both and think about what's uglier :P What you call rought or ugly is pretty normal for FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) printers... this is a home made one, no fancy > $3K commercial model. No doubt those ones will produce better parts... at higher prices :D

With SLS or SLA printers part will be perfect but... well... i don't have one, and price would be 2 or 3 times current price :)

IMG_20160629_132905.jpg IMG_20160629_132909.jpg IMG_20160629_132918.jpg IMG_20160629_132952.jpg

Last but not least.. here is a pic of a draft botton part printed in ABS (inner part.. outer is totally plain since it's touching the build plate.. not valid for this comparisson). Notice this is much less shiny and looks much better. But the traces are still there and visible. They just look less pronounced. The problem when printing the top part is warping. The support structure do not adhere strongly enough to the build plate... not enough surface to stick there, so warping happens. If i manage to print that part in ABS without warping i would prefer ABS, but it's not easy at all for large surface parts.

IMG_20160629_132934.jpg

Some extra pics with the black case.. also comparing with Tombstone City retail cart.

IMG_20160629_133214.jpg IMG_20160629_133220.jpg IMG_20160629_133332.jpg IMG_20160629_133345.jpg

IMG_20160629_133424.jpg IMG_20160629_133512.jpg IMG_20160629_133524.jpg IMG_20160629_133536.jpg

Edited by c0d3m4st4
  • Like 7

All of this 3D printing is a learning and teaching experience, and what better way to learn and teach than with our beloved old systems. I am waffling on whether to get one of these cases, if only to get an idea of how future products may appear or we can create on our own. Well, that and to have a case for the FR99 -- practicality aside ;)

Hey guys.

I'm the one listing those on eBay

It's not really that bad. I'll try to post some better pics shortly. PLA is shinnier than ABS... and to make the text visible in the pics, lighting and angle makes it look uglier than it really looks in your hands. About the button... Well i tried to do something similar as you guys said, but didn't look good (i was trying to hold it tho.... not just simply slided in the square tube). But you gave me an idea... i'll give it a try later [ :)]

Cheers!

Hi,

are you the guy who is planning to make a housing for the NanoPEBs ? :-D ;) :-D

xXx

• Like 3

I'm afraid i don't have a NanoPEB... but i will if i ever get my hands on one :P

Not my priority at the moment tho, sorry :)

ah OK, no problem. But if you want to do so, I could send you my NanoPEB for some weeks,

to make it easier. Should be no problem, as we are "neighbours" :)

just let me know, if and when.

xXx

• Like 1

ah OK, no problem. But if you want to do so, I could send you my NanoPEB for some weeks,

to make it easier. Should be no problem, as we are "neighbours" :)

just let me know, if and when.

xXx

That's nice... thanks for the offer. I will contact you whenever i think i will have some spare time to work on it. I will PM you so you can send me some pics of both sides of the PCB and also plugged in just to make myself a bare initial idea.

BTW... those who feel comfortable buying outside eBay, can buy these FR99 cases directly from me here.. 10% discount on final eBay price wih friends/family PayPal payment to avoid fees. Worldwide registered postage, and boxed so it arrives safe.

Just PM me for details.

• Like 1