IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

On 10/25/2019 at 7:03 PM, --- Ω --- said:

I fully understand different strokes for different folks, to fill their individual needs and wants, but for me the difference between a Nano-PEB and a TIPI is like a stock 1928 Ford going up against a 2020 Corvette.

Thats because you are only seeing it from the perspective of what YOU would do.  Most people aren’t doing development and really just want to play with the standard software on their TI.  I’ll be honest with you, with a flash cart and PEB (real or nano), I’m probably set.  I wouldn’t even know what to do with a TIPI and probably won’t be venturing down the road where I would.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mitkraft said:

Thats because you are only seeing it from the perspective of what YOU would do.  Most people aren’t doing development and really just want to play with the standard software on their TI.  I’ll be honest with you, with a flash cart and PEB (real or nano), I’m probably set.  I wouldn’t even know what to do with a TIPI and probably won’t be venturing down the road where I would.

If a Nano does it for you, that's great.  Sadly, it's not from what I 'would do', it's from what I 'have done'. ?  I originally purchased a Nano-PEB (I had three of them) and because of my experiences with them, I abandoned the Nano-route and went with a P-Box.  After experiencing the side car TIPI I was freaking hooked, so I switched to the P-Box version when it became available.   In the end, I can only offer my humble opinion based on my experiences that could save some people some money along the way.   As with all opinions/suggestions, it's a take it or leave it proposition.  That said, if you are ever interested, I can give you some ideas of what a TIPI in your P-Box could do for you. ?

• Like 1

@--- Ω --- He is just reacting to the verbiage I was answering:

On 10/25/2019 at 5:00 PM, --- Ω --- said:

For those just getting into the TI with no plans to go the full P-Box route, I would go in order of...

You start with a general recommendation but support it with a specific personal use case.  For your general recommendation I offered a middle ground with an anecdotal use case as a for-instance, then in a later message you countered with an explanation of your use case.  Thus resolved.

• Like 2

I'm in kinda the same boat, except my preference for nano is merely based on price. I can only do <100 bucks for hardware at this time. But look at what's coming: Ramdisk, F18MK2, and the tipi is leading the way and none of these are under 100 bucks! If course, my goal is to stick to a PEB/PEU Even though I have 3 NANOs myself because I have 4 machines the nano gets them running as a base machine. But I'll have to fully upgrade once that hardware becomes available.  But, again.. the price..

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 8:38 AM, adamantyr said:

Well I will let everyone know. I messaged him a (much lower) offer for the lot and he accepted. I'll pick it up this weekend. :) And I'll definitely be interested in selling parts of it out; I don't need 8 speech synthesizers.

Just a quick FYI, I got the auction stuff this weekend. Sadly, there was no 9640 card, only the manual. The seller HAD a card once, but he sold it long ago. The P.E. Box otherwise has a full load of standard cards (TI disk controller, RS232, flex card, and 32K expansion.)

I'm taking inventory of everything there, but I'll be working with Greg to make sure a lot of this goes back to the community where it's needed.

Adam

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, Ksarul said:

I see three items listed, Ron--but I have to select worldwide to see them (this is sort of normal for eBay). At least we can see them now if we tick the right selection boxes.

I have not clue how to solve this, because I list worldwide shipping already and ebay told me then it is visible for everyone overseas. I keep listing items during the week and the weekend more items coming up (I am testing items first to make sure they work before putting them online).  I also found items that are not working or having some issues, not sure if people are interested in it, but I will do that at then end once I am done sorting items out.

• Like 1

No argument there, they are cheap, but then again you only get what you pay for.  It's like an old VW Bug, it can get you there, but sometimes issues arise along the way and it lacks comfort and features.  For some, they may not be into the TI deep enough to want or need anything more and that is good.

For those just getting into the TI with no plans to go the full P-Box route, I would go in order of...

1) Jedimatt42 32K and a FinalGROM - If and when they outgrow that...
2) TIPI and an Rpi

In the end it's easier to transfer files back and forth with no additional cables or converters necessary (if you have WiFi capability) and you'll have more options with fewer potential problems.

Hey, Ohm.... I know you’re passionate for the latest and greatest, but please quit putting down other people’s hardware. The nanoPEB is a perfectly serviceable expansion and works quite well.
  • Like 3

I'm guilty too, it's so easy when you're working with a Device then take it for granted. I actually caught myself doing this trash talk then I realized, duh..so I apologized to the public that I was talking to about it. AND it was a nano no less!! But if course it could be any device. I for one cannot make a NANO PEB OR a F18mk2, or similar...I'm learning to listen better and think first when it comes to things of this type. These guys aren't making a million on building these, they just want the option, I get it.

I had to interject..ML

3 hours ago, acadiel said:

Hey, Ohm.... I know you’re passionate for the latest and greatest, but please quit putting down other people’s hardware. The nanoPEB is a perfectly serviceable expansion and works quite well.

Jon,

Was I putting The Nano PEB down in that particular post?  I did not think so, but yes, maybe I should have used the word ‘inexpensive’ instead of ‘cheap’, I’ll give you that.

I believe what I stated is factual in a truly objective sense…

1) The Nano-PEB does lack some comforts and features when compared to the more expensive 32K/TIPI/Rpi expansion path, but that’s obvious, and also reflective in the price… again you only get what you pay for.

2) The Nano-PEB does lock one into a non-expandable path. I hope it’s not becoming politically incorrect to be honest when mentioning possible alternatives to others.

3) I did say, “For some, they might not be into the TI deep enough to want or need anything more AND THAT IS GOOD” It’s also true that for some a 32K and FinalGROM might be adequate.  I truly did not think that suggesting the Jedimatt42 32K expansion as a way of keeping one’s future options open was a negative thing either.

In the past, I did do a blog entry on the Pros & Cons of the Nano-PEB, if you find something in error, I'll gladly update the entry with any input you have to offer.

• Like 1

Do you live in the Pacific Northwest?  If so, there is a BIN for $80.00 (too much), but the opening bid is only $35.00.  It's out of Seattle, so be sure to check the shipping expense with your zip code to avoid any nasty surprises.  For instance to my home, shipping is only $13.00, but to San Antonio, TX it's over $35.00.

<< CLICK HERE >> for the auction.  It looks to be missing a monitor cable or RF modulator.

s-l1600.jpg

Jon,
   Was I putting The Nano PEB down in that particular post?  I did not think so, but yes, maybe I should have used the word ‘inexpensive’ instead of ‘cheap’, I’ll give you that.

I believe what I stated is factual in a truly objective sense…

1) The Nano-PEB does lack some comforts and features when compared to the more expensive 32K/TIPI/Rpi expansion path, but that’s obvious, and also reflective in the price… again you only get what you pay for.

2) The Nano-PEB does lock one into a non-expandable path. I hope it’s not becoming politically incorrect to be honest when mentioning possible alternatives to others.

3) I did say, “For some, they might not be into the TI deep enough to want or need anything more AND THAT IS GOOD” It’s also true that for some a 32K and FinalGROM might be adequate.  I truly did not think that suggesting the Jedimatt42 32K expansion as a way of keeping one’s future options open was a negative thing either.

In the past, I did do a blog entry on the Pros & Cons of the Nano-PEB, if you find something in error, I'll gladly update the entry with any input you have to offer.

Thanks for the clarification. However, I do see this as a trend, and wrestled with whether or not to bring it up. Whether you realize it or not, when something new comes out, you always seem to “talk down” about the older solutions. It has nothing to do with “political correctness.”

Yes, cheap was a bad word - cheap is synonymous nowadays with “no quality”. Less expensive is indeed better suited.

However, this phrase was also a little condescending to Jamie’s hardware: “It's like an old VW Bug, it can get you there, but sometimes issues arise along the way and it lacks comfort and features.”

The Nano is still a current piece of modern hardware that Jaime maintains and updates. They sell like hot cakes. They’re easy to use, economical, and give you disk and 32K as well as serial. It’s not by far “an old VW bug.” There are many file managers like TI99dir that support point and click copy operations, and CF2K, which does the same.

Bottom line is all I’m asking you to do is moderate how you talk about older hardware when newer things come out. I love your enthusiasm, don’t ever stop it - just monitor how your words may be interpreted. As someone who also makes hardware, I wouldn’t want mine being compared to “an old VW bug” either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, chue said:

I believe it's @globeron

22 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I certainly do not, I have never set eyes on him or his kid before!:grin:

P.S. Personally... I've never trusted foreigners!;)

I have a healthy distrust of anyone who looks like my laptop screen.  Well, I certainly do not mind being his first eBay buyer feedback.  I have my bid in and fingers crossed I do not get into a bidding war with anyone.

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 7:50 PM, --- Ω --- said:

Do you live in the Pacific Northwest?  If so, there is a BIN for $80.00 (too much), but the opening bid is only $35.00.  It's out of Seattle, so be sure to check the shipping expense with your zip code to avoid any nasty surprises.  For instance to my home, shipping is only $13.00, but to San Antonio, TX it's over $35.00.

<< CLICK HERE >> for the auction.  It looks to be missing a monitor cable or RF modulator.

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, shipping is a killer to the East Coast on that one. $42.45 to me in the Philly area. There are two boxed TI-99/4A's on Mercari for $39 and $40 here and here. Shipping is only $11.50. Pretty solid.

• Like 1