IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

3 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Example - TL866CS/A eprommers still appear on eBay. They are all counterfeit items. Legal, new devices have not been manufactured since 02/18 yet the auctions for "new" devices persist.

And the story is that the TL866CS/A model is what we need to burn tms2764s.  The new, legit TL866-II doesn't provide 21v for 2764s, right?

The supported part list still shows TMS2764 (requires VPP=21V) and Intel 2764 (requires VPP=12.5V) so they are not updating their part list.

I bought the new one and it's a good product. If I needed the older, CS model, I would have to ponder whether the best I can do is buy one real and one counterfeit (and hope the software doesn't brick it.)

11 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

And the story is that the TL866CS/A model is what we need to burn tms2764s.  The new, legit TL866-II doesn't provide 21v for 2764s, right?

The supported part list still shows TMS2764 (requires VPP=21V) and Intel 2764 (requires VPP=12.5V) so they are not updating their part list.

I bought the new one and it's a good product. If I needed the older, CS model, I would have to ponder whether the best I can do is buy one real and one counterfeit (and hope the software doesn't brick it.)

FWIW my TL866A is always at your disposal whenever we cross paths as at the Chi Faire in November (I always have it with me). I also have it with me down here on the Space Coast for a few months.

...lee

5 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Example - TL866CS/A eprommers still appear on eBay. They are all counterfeit items. Legal, new devices have not been manufactured since 02/18 yet the auctions for "new" devices persist.

Yep, they replaced the TL866CS and TL866A programmers in 2/18 with the TL866 II Plus model.  They have a nice webpage here that shows you how to tell that you have a counterfeit one:  http://www.xgecu.com/en/note.html 

I don't know if there were any issues with the pirated one or not.  However, the new TL866 II Plus model won't program a 21V chip - max programming is 18V, I believe.

Atrax - what was the last version in use for the 866CS?  I have 6.70 with your English help files from 2018.

Edit:  If you have an Android, you can program with this app to the TL866A/CS:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wizardprog.mobile

Edited by acadiel
  • Like 3

The last version was V6.85 (and it is still up on the website). However, you only run into the "brick" problem if you try to update versions that are pre-V6.85 on counterfeit units. Any version greater than 6.70 - even on a counterfeit unit - will generally serve our purposes. Just don't try to upgrade it! So, even the counterfeit versions on eBay can be of good use for our community. The fact is, the TL866CS/A will even program certain 25V chips - some are tolerant of under voltage programming.

Edited by atrax27407

1 hour ago, Lee Stewart said:

FWIW my TL866A is always at your disposal whenever we cross paths as at the Chi Faire in November (I always have it with me). I also have it with me down here on the Space Coast for a few months.

...lee

Thank you!

I'll save up my EPROMs for once a year burning :)

I'm relying on the PLCC-32 EEPROMs these days.

• Like 1

It "looks" like your finger is touching a battery that is right above an EPROM (could be flash RAM,) of some sort.  Would need to look up the part numbers from them to know for sure.  I've also seen flash RAM in a casing like the one your are touching as well.  Do you have the part/model number of the MB, and the 2 chips in question?

• Like 1

That Dallas package is almost guaranteed to be a clock, SRAM, and battery all in one. Though I can't read the part number on that picture, I recognize that big ugly brick. Dallas sold them as real-time clocks, but then went and included enough extra SRAM that they could be used for configuration storage too. They will totally cause errors on boot(I think my IBM-compatibles with bad batteries have said "CMOS error - defaults loaded"). But at least in an IBM-compatible things aren't too bad. Swap the battery(or RTC module), enter the BIOS config, reset things, and you're a happy camper for the next decade or so.

If you've acquired an old Sun workstation, where the system config, serial number, and ethernet MAC address are all stored in the RTC block... ugh. When the battery dies, the system is rendered unbootable. You can poke enough data back into a new one from the openboot interface to make it work again, but it is a royal pain(but still better than an arcade game's copy-protect battery, because it CAN be reprogrammed in place).  

There are replacements available for most of the Dallas RTC blocks. Random example here.

If I recall, there's one or two uncommon models where no pin-compatible clones exist, but most of the Dallas RTC line has drop-in replacements. Some systems don't like the replacements because they have more SRAM than the original part, but most don't care.

I hope that one is socketed, otherwise you might take a serious look at the "dremel the end of the block off and solder a battery holder onto it" school of repair.  (A search for "dallas RTC repair" will get you a number of tutorials on that technique in short order)

That Dallas package is almost guaranteed to be a clock, SRAM, and battery all in one. Though I can't read the part number on that picture, I recognize that big ugly brick. Dallas sold them as real-time clocks, but then went and included enough extra SRAM that they could be used for configuration storage too. They will totally cause errors on boot(I think my IBM-compatibles with bad batteries have said "CMOS error - defaults loaded"). But at least in an IBM-compatible things aren't too bad. Swap the battery(or RTC module), enter the BIOS config, reset things, and you're a happy camper for the next decade or so.

If you've acquired an old Sun workstation, where the system config, serial number, and ethernet MAC address are all stored in the RTC block... ugh. When the battery dies, the system is rendered unbootable. You can poke enough data back into a new one from the openboot interface to make it work again, but it is a royal pain(but still better than an arcade game's copy-protect battery, because it CAN be reprogrammed in place).  

There are replacements available for most of the Dallas RTC blocks. Random example here.
If I recall, there's one or two uncommon models where no pin-compatible clones exist, but most of the Dallas RTC line has drop-in replacements. Some systems don't like the replacements because they have more SRAM than the original part, but most don't care.
I hope that one is socketed, otherwise you might take a serious look at the "dremel the end of the block off and solder a battery holder onto it" school of repair.  (A search for "dallas RTC repair" will get you a number of tutorials on that technique in short order)

Part # DS12887
REALTIME
9549A2 071371

Only designator I can find... digital tm m-3 17896b593a42a02891ab375881aa40934ce92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh, that's a DS12887? Good. That's a common package, and it is one with the extra SRAM too, so there's basically no compatibility worries. I believe my "random example" link is actually a direct one-to-one replacement.

And that's a DEC board? Awesome. Only DEC product I own is a generic 101-key PS/2 keyboard. I'd really like to add a DEC machine to my collection of obsolete hardware(though preferably one that is actually a DEC architecture)

Oh, that's a DS12887? Good. That's a common package, and it is one with the extra SRAM too, so there's basically no compatibility worries. I believe my "random example" link is actually a direct one-to-one replacement.

And that's a DEC board? Awesome. Only DEC product I own is a generic 101-key PS/2 keyboard. I'd really like to add a DEC machine to my collection of obsolete hardware(though preferably one that is actually a DEC architecture)

The bios is Phoenix... Venturias? I think.. after putting in new thermal paste I will reboot.

I can send this out to you... if you wish it. But cannot cover the costs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

e1ecbb372ff74bd664179f0c13f2309a.jpg