IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Tempting, but I'm good.
Limited space, I think I'll save it for a PDP or an Alpha. One HAS to fall into my lap eventually, right?
Absolutely. I think once I get that damned cover back on, I'll put it up on Ebay or Facebook. I got a DX2 which should cover me good for actual gaming.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JB said:

If you've acquired an old Sun workstation, where the system config, serial number, and ethernet MAC address are all stored in the RTC block... ugh. When the battery dies, the system is rendered unbootable. You can poke enough data back into a new one from the openboot interface to make it work again, but it is a royal pain

I have an Axil 320, SparcStation 20 clone, running as a DNS server which I am just waiting for this to happen.  I guess I could beat it to the punch and program a new one.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:25 AM, OLD CS1 said:

I have an Axil 320, SparcStation 20 clone, running as a DNS server which I am just waiting for this to happen.  I guess I could beat it to the punch and program a new one.

What hardware are you looking for? I recently got a stockpile of PC's I might have what you need if you give me a Manufacturer and Model #. :)

Believe it or not, if you have an old PCjr in your haul of retrotech, I would be interested in appropriating it.

While the TI holds that slot for most people here, that awful foray into the consumer marketplace of the jr is where my first computer experiences came from, and for me, holds the most early nostalgia.  I have often contemplated creating an EMS memory module for the cartridge slots. (The slot hardware is NOT writable; there is no WE line exposed there. However, there are TWO slots, and each one is 64kb in size. More than enough for a cartridge ROM based EMS routine that treats reads at a special memory address it owns as a signal to trip write enable on a sram module, and to move the window of the second slot around so it can function as a page frame)

I have some pretty great memories of playing KQ1 with tandy 3 voice sound. I might just opt for a tandy 1000 instead though, if you have one of those.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, if you have an old PCjr in your haul of retrotech, I would be interested in appropriating it.

While the TI holds that slot for most people here, that awful foray into the consumer marketplace of the jr is where my first computer experiences came from, and for me, holds the most early nostalgia.  I have often contemplated creating an EMS memory module for the cartridge slots. (The slot hardware is NOT writable; there is no WE line exposed there. However, there are TWO slots, and each one is 64kb in size. More than enough for a cartridge ROM based EMS routine that treats reads at a special memory address it owns as a signal to trip write enable on a sram module, and to move the window of the second slot around so it can function as a page frame)

I have some pretty great memories of playing KQ1 with tandy 3 voice sound. I might just opt for a tandy 1000 instead though, if you have one of those.
I will post a listing here of all the tech from that haul. Unfortunately, no PCjr. Or Tandy 1000.. However I did get Zilog Z80's and some 16k and 32k (not sure if RAM or ROM, haven't read up) chips. I was looking for a schematic for the TRS-80 mobo see if I could recreate it using smaller paths.

I come back to the TI-99/4 prototype #717  ebay auction. After studying the pictures, I am not convinced that the #717 is as interesting as its price would try to pretend. Differences between this prototype and the mass product model are thin.
I see the 10.738 MHz crystal (Y100) disconnected, I see a set composed with capacitors/resistors/10.738 MHz crystal/variable capacitor 2.5 to 11pF in place of the missing 74LS04 (U101) that seems to show that engineers were trying the find the best values for the VDP crystal  signal, I see a missing GROM (may be the useless "Equation calculator" program),  I see also a flexible ribbon driving D8 to D15 data to the SRAM (U609) and ROM (U611)  maybe to correct a routing error, some straps, some extra resistors, some traces routed differently and a gold bus connector.
A little extra information: On the orange sticker placed on the backside of the computer, we can read "FASTER"  handwritten. This computer were faster the other prototypes? Maybe due to the missing 74LS04 that creates some delay on the R/W signal of the VDP VRAM.
To conclude, an interesting computer for history but nothing really exalting.

• Like 8

Not sure how hard to find these cassette games actually are, but I see where they are new listings on eBay and they're certainly priced like they're rare: Laser Shield, Maze of Ariel: Dark Corridors and Stone Age. Most assuredly not mine. All from the same seller. Here's the Stone Age listing, for reference. 

• Like 1

While not TI related, this is an interesting ebay offer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Western-Digital-3TB-My-Cloud-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage-NAS/223818962353?hash=item341ca655b1:g:YIYAAOSwooFeBmiF

It is for a broken**  single bay Western Digital consumer grade NAS box.

Why is this an interesting offer?

There is very little that can be seriously damaged inside these things except the hard drive itself.  It's just a little single board computer that uses uboot. It doesn't even have a locked boot loader. (You can boot straight linux on it if you want.)  The indicator LED on the front indicates that it has encountered an error on startup; This means that uboot is able to start. This means that there is nothing wrong with the PCB.

You can put any sata drive inside one of these that you want. (I am intimately familiar with this model of unit, as I own one, and have completely and exhaustively explored what all you can get it to do. Including getting it to host iSCSI LUNs.)  Rather than a "Defective unit" sale, consider this an "Empty enclosure" sale.  That's what this really is.  Most people wont understand or realize that, so I am shining some light on it.  I already have 2 NAS boxes, and do not need a 3rd, but if somebody needs one, this is a good offer to jump on. Seller does not know what they have.

To "repair" the unit, just follow the debrick procedure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVQVhnLVJOdDZISUU/view

Edited by wierd_w

I am sorry wierd_w but I think that this Western Digital My Cloud Personal Network NAS is a crap.

People buy NAS drive to store and share the datas that they need to keep but this one has only one bay for HDD drive. So if the hard drive dies, you lost your datas... The minimum for a decent NAS is two bays to create a RAID 1 configuration drive.

Even for $1 , the place of this stuff is in the trash can.

Like I said, it has other purposes.  The single bay units are consumer crap, yes--  But this thing can run straight linux, meaning it can do other functions than being a NAS. It also has a USB3 port on the back, and supports disks attached there.

However, there are some EX2 ultra empty shells on there for 150$ ish.  Those ARE 2 bay. (and the SoC supports hardware sata port multiplier.)

When I buy a data storage, I always bring forward its fiability, the data preservation. I think that, in any case, in any use,  a data storage support must have it's own backup security, and the RAID 1 solution is the easiest way to do and it's very efficiency. What good would to have a NAS if we can't trust in it?  The goal is to preserve data, isn't it? So, a one bay is not a good solution.  So yes, as many other NAS, this low cost WD NAS has a USB3 port,  but if the idea is to connect an external USB Hard disk drive to backup the lone hard disk inside the NAS, this kind of backup is slow, not as transparancy and not as quick as having two hard drives with RAID 1. 

Edited by fabrice montupet

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Like I said, it has other purposes.  The single bay units are consumer crap, yes--  But this thing can run straight linux, meaning it can do other functions than being a NAS. It also has a USB3 port on the back, and supports disks attached there.

However, there are some EX2 ultra empty shells on there for 150$ ish.  Those ARE 2 bay. (and the SoC supports hardware sata port multiplier.)

So Wierd_w, if it can run straight Linux, could you run a media server on it, for example?  Is there adequate RAM, or is it expandable?

Note, what you are getting there is a CorComp RS-232 sidecar (note that there is no disk controller connector at the back) and an Ultracomp 32K sidecar. Both are solid pieces of hardware--but they don't give you disk access as configured. The Disk Controller daughter board for the CorComp also includes the 32K, which is why they used an Ultracomp 32K here. CorComp sold these with and without the Disk Controller option--and even sold it separately for those with the RS-232 box, but the Disk Controller boards for these are seriously rare as a loose item.

• Like 1

If I am reading what you're saying correctly. They have removed the RS 232 connector and the 32k daughter board? So it's a husk of its presumed glory?

No he says it's just a Rs232 port in the corcomp
And the other box is 32k

They were sold without the card that had the disk controller and 32k on it. Likely never had it

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mglafond said:

So Wierd_w, if it can run straight Linux, could you run a media server on it, for example?  Is there adequate RAM, or is it expandable?

Processing wise, the SoC inside it is about on par with an rPi 2.  1ghz dual core ARM, 512mb RAM.  Like the Pi, the ram is soldered on and cannot be upgraded. (the cheapest offers WD has with DIMMs are going to make your piggy bank squeal. Those are Small/home office grade, not consumer.)

It has a sata controller so it can do real swap, and if you put real linux on, you get zram as well.  It is sufficient to run Plex with the stock software (with a little prodding), but will not do on the fly transcoding. (If the files are already coded in a streaming friendly manner, it works great though. this is the role I have my unit doing. It streams 1080p streams for me just fine.)  In the past, I have tested the unit functioning as a minecraft server.  It works for that purpose, but needs to be kept constrained.

One task I have been contemplating trying on it, is using it as a fully SIP based BBS host.

(Syncronet BBS software, with T38Modem SIP modem emulation, and a free SIP trunk service with 2 lines)

No he says it's just a Rs232 port in the corcomp

And the other box is 32k

They were sold without the card that had the disk controller and 32k on it. Likely never had it

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Ok, now I see. Of the 2 boards contained in the Cc9900 the upper board housed the 32k and the disk controller while the lower board housed the sidecar connectors and the RS232 port. It was sold without the upper board. Well, can't win them all. At least it would give me some space to make my own disk controller atariage_icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys for informing me proper. Yanno this is a solid group. Looking out for one another. I haven't seen this often in the real world. I am glad to see it here!

• Like 2