IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Thought I would bring to your attention some original TI-99/4 games that are up on eBay, complete with the original gatefold-style boxes and "black bar" manuals instead of "Solid State Software Command Module" being written across the black bar. I picked up two from this seller a little while ago that I needed for my TI-99/4A collection, not even realizing at the time about the distinguishable characteristics (of course they work fine on the 4A, too).

A note of caution: either a previous owner or more likely the seller of these items smokes cigarettes, as the two gatefolds that I received a month or two ago absolutely reeked of cigarettes when I first received them. I was able to air them out so it's hard to detect at this point, but I wanted to issue that disclaimer about purchasing from this guy. He says that he "gets items from all over and there may be a smell to some of his items," but based on other people referencing the same thing on his feedback, I am guessing that the seller is actually the culprit, for what that's worth.

Still, given that the original /4 gatefold style boxes are hard to track down, I thought I would at least mention these items, in case anyone is interested. He also happens to have a TI-99/4 console box for sale. Again, probably smokey. 

13 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

I managed to get hold of one of those boxes a long time ago.  Freaked me out at first as I had never seen one.  I rather like them.

Nice. I'm a fan, too. Easy manual access and having the cut-out on the side of the box to display the cartridge name was smart, too.

Not on eBay yet... I think I need to sell my PEB, as it has seen little use of late. But it is heavier than an IBM 5150 or a small yacht anchor. Is it even worth selling if it cannot be shipped with reasonable assurance of survival?
I've shipped a couple successfully but ymmv best to double box them if you are going to try. Bubble wrap the peb then box that then put that box in another box surrounded by at least 2 in of peanuts on all sides.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I've shipped a couple successfully but ymmv best to double box them if you are going to try. Bubble wrap the peb then box that then put that box in another box surrounded by at least 2 in of peanuts on all sides.

This.  Abso-freaking-lutely this.  It is going to cost extra to ship (supplies, a little extra weight,) but damned worth it to ensure the equipment survives.

2 hours ago, Vorticon said:

What generally breaks is the plastic front panel. The rest is built like a tank and will survive practically anything. 

It has always struck me as funny that our computers are made of plastic but our expansion boxes are built to withstand a nuclear strike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dont underestimate the shipping monkeys.  My PEB is pretty dinged up from those jokers.

I am still contemplating how I am gonna straighten my banged up PEB case.  I gave the metal a quick "how much energy to bend" test with my fingers and my take away was "Probably gonna need a set of forms and a rubber hammer on a cheater pipe."

If they can do that kind of damage to something that resistant to bending, FOR SURE-- OVERPACK IT.

• Like 1

I received my peb in the mail about a couple years ago and the only damage I got was the top ripped off the plastic underneath it. I have both parts but they need to be glued together, they used to have plastic studs with metal screws.bi got most of not all those studs still..but shoot, I'm not sticking plastic studs back on.

I ordered some reusable mold making material before I got my PEB in.  The plan was to use it to mold the replicated PEB front I have been working on, so I could cast additional ones out of styrene resin.

I think I need to order some more of the stuff, so I can mold my PEB top, then cast a replacement.  (Mine has the same issue with the sheared off studs. I think if I cast a really thick replacement, then just drill some pilots where the screws need to go, I can replace it.)

16 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

This.  Abso-freaking-lutely this.  It is going to cost extra to ship (supplies, a little extra weight,) but damned worth it to ensure the equipment survives.

I keep one of the original TI shipping cartons, from back when mdude was selling new stock. 

It has blown-in foam around plastic wrap, to create a custom cavity around the PBox. 

My other way of shipping a PBox has been to use a much larger hard-shell tote, at least 2 inches of foam around all sides of the PBox, and locking handles. My Pbox (for shows) has survived a plane trip and 5 moving trucks this way.

The tote has gotten a lot of dings over the years, but the PBox (and two floppy drives) is still show-quality.

On 12/30/2019 at 3:15 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Thought I would bring to your attention some original TI-99/4 games that are up on eBay, complete with the original gatefold-style boxes and "black bar" manuals instead of "Solid State Software Command Module" being written across the black bar. I picked up two from this seller a little while ago that I needed for my TI-99/4A collection, not even realizing at the time about the distinguishable characteristics (of course they work fine on the 4A, too).

A note of caution: either a previous owner or more likely the seller of these items smokes cigarettes, as the two gatefolds that I received a month or two ago absolutely reeked of cigarettes when I first received them. I was able to air them out so it's hard to detect at this point, but I wanted to issue that disclaimer about purchasing from this guy. He says that he "gets items from all over and there may be a smell to some of his items," but based on other people referencing the same thing on his feedback, I am guessing that the seller is actually the culprit, for what that's worth.

Still, given that the original /4 gatefold style boxes are hard to track down, I thought I would at least mention these items, in case anyone is interested. He also happens to have a TI-99/4 console box for sale. Again, probably smokey. 

The 99/4 box is here- it's interesting all the stamps on it.

I'm on the fence about selling my PEB- I don't use it much, but I think the hassle trying to sell it wouldn't be worth it, largely.

7 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

The 99/4 box is here- it's interesting all the stamps on it.

I'm on the fence about selling my PEB- I don't use it much, but I think the hassle trying to sell it wouldn't be worth it, largely.

DUDE!  You are totally missing the boat!  Get rid of that anchor and get on the TIPi train! :evil:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

DUDE!  You are totally missing the boat!  Get rid of that anchor and get on the TIPi train! :evil:

I'm in 100% agreement on the TIPI train, but there is a P-Box version too!   If you go with the P-Box version you do not have to spend any extra money for fancy 3D printed enclosures!  The P-Box version also gives you the added capabilities of things like SAMS cards, or anything else already in existence or things yet to arrive on scene.  Keeping ones options open is a wise move and this combination does that... P-Box + TIPI the best of both worlds!

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 1:17 AM, Mehridian Sanders said:

Well wish me luck on this. Would solve a lot of deficits with my system. Don't know the syntax for etiquette on this so.... guess cross your fingers !!

Thanks.f36b195361f20c091588e08157dbc004.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is it just me, or has this auction gone beyond reality? (>$100 and still climbing)

• Confused 1