IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Could have been me asking for that ... I have skin type I. Hence, I call "good weather" any kind of dry weather with about 3/8 clouds (3 oktas). Cloudless sky makes me uneasy, nervously looking for sunscreen/sunblock.

Edited by mizapf
Edit: This was my 4000th post ... woohoo
  • Like 1

I wonder if this is another of those "list for $1,000 but will take $200" deals.  Of course, even that is kind-of high considering "it is untested and sold as-is, as a collectible, officially "for parts or not working" with no guarantee of functionality or completeness whatsoever."

https://ebay.com/itm/143495070223

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I've never been able to bite the hook on an MBX.  They are so big for so few games, it would spend 99.95% of it's time in the box for years.  

I got one a few years ago.  I pull it out every so often to play.  The MBX games are really well done but most of them play without the MBX, and I feel the TI speech is superior to the MBX speech.  Speech recognition is good but I can never demo it at events like VCF because of all the background noise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Wow, really? I haven't heard MBX speech examples (there don't seem to be any on YouTube), but I'm surprised to hear that since the MBX was supposed to be superior to the regular TI Speech Synthesizer. 

Yeah, while I am not impressed with the MBX speech, it does at least offer speech for systems without.  I will add to my list of things to make some samples for comparison.

3 hours ago, twoodland said:

Vintage Texas Instruments TI-99/4 Engineering Prototype # 717 No Serial Number

$2500 Steep!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4-Engineering-Prototype-717-No-Serial-Number/133264016332?hash=item1f072783cc:g:iOoAAOSwBi5d3JS6

You have to love the orange... I do! lol

We already talked about this auction. The seller is not a dreamer, he exactly knows what kind of computer he proposes... He knows that the differences between it and the mass product computer are tiny. So it is not a prototype, just a pre-serie computer. In all case nothing that costs a such amount of money.  I think he is waiting a guy completely moron or naive to spend a such price.
Not a interesting auction, we can easily walk by without stopping.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Here's an auction: $30 for an in-box Extended Basic, two PowerStik joysticks, TI joysticks, and a Sams book.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/83784784

Seems more collect-ish, for the box, than practical. I'm not familiar with those joysticks.

Yeah, the joysticks don't do much for me, but having a REAL Extended BASIC book as reference is a must (at least to me).   And the other books look to be in fairly decent shape too (for their age).  If I din't already have them, I'd bid just for the books.

Are you sure there is a book in that SAMS cassette case?

97349178104244KeW..thumb.jpg.3a5c178474d41b495ea001faf03ff177.jpg

20 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Here's an auction: $30 for an in-box Extended Basic, two PowerStik joysticks, TI joysticks, and a Sams book.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/83784784

Seems more collect-ish, for the box, than practical. I'm not familiar with those joysticks.

Thanks for sharing. The Power Stick joysticks were made by Amiga before they made computers (and were subsequently gobbled up by Commodore). They made the Power Sticks for lots of consoles and are reasonably well-regarded, though some people with large hands my find them too small. Here's a neat ad from bitd... 

powerstick.jpeg

• Like 1

That SAMS cassette set was for the longest time the only software I had for my TI when I was a kid.  All I had was a bare console and all I could do was play with basic and save/load programs via cassette using an already old tape recorder of the same form factor as the TI program recorder but lacking the remote jack so I had to start and stop it manually.

• Like 4