IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

On 11/26/2019 at 11:06 PM, Opry99er said:

Our very own Mike Lunsford has a like-new nano-PEB for sale for $50.  It's on the Facebook TI-99ers page.  He is selling it to raise the cash to go TIPI.  :)

anyone need a nano?

ahhh...i used the cash to get 2 ea 99err mags at $7 ea, an adventure cart for $7, a music cart for 10, and some 32K ram SRAMS for my Supernotes project, oh and a couple of EA CARTS.  BUT i haven't given up on tipi..Man i wish I could dine more 99er mags in ZIP form, WHTECH seems to only have like 12 mags listed...

On 2/2/2020 at 1:14 PM, Flottmann1 said:

$720 and counting with just under 9 days remaining on the auction. With a starting bid of $1, that certainly escalated quickly!

• Like 2

Well, for possibly the first time in the history of the universe, an Ebayer labeled a TI-related auction item “extremely rare” when it wasn’t Hunt the Wumpus or Early Learning Fun or something.  When it was in fact an extremely rare item. So one can understand the community’s excitement at this unprecedented event, and desire to throw money at someone - anyone - who's willing to use the word "rare" accurately, in this way.

Edited by pixelpedant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Well, for possibly the first time in the history of the universe, an Ebayer labeled a TI-related auction item “extremely rare” when it wasn’t Hunt the Wumpus or Early Learning Fun or something.  When it was in fact an extremely rare item. So one can understand the community’s excitement at this unprecedented event, and desire to throw money at someone - anyone - who's willing to use the word "rare" accurately, in this way.

It would appear the guy selling it was an ex-TI employee. Based on the item description, he apparently bought 2 of these from the TI employee store back in the day, one of which he donated to a computer museum which has since closed, with the whereabouts of that donated machine being unknown. This is his second one. So indeed, he does realize what he has & that it is absolutely an extremely rare item. Look at the final scan in the pics he posted to see he's the person who donated the first machine to the museum. Pretty cool story!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

Well, for possibly the first time in the history of the universe, an Ebayer labeled a TI-related auction item “extremely rare” when it wasn’t Hunt the Wumpus or Early Learning Fun or something.

Wait...Hunt the Wumpus isn't rare? So you're saying I shouldn't have paid $50 for a CIB Hunt the Wumpus, the listing of which said "L@@K Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer ***RARE*** Hunt the Wumpus CIB Extremely HTF Tested but AS-IS"??????

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Wait...Hunt the Wumpus isn't rare? So you're saying I shouldn't have paid $50 for a CIB Hunt the Wumpus, the listing of which said "L@@K Texas Instruments TI-99/4A Home Computer ***RARE*** Hunt the Wumpus CIB Extremely HTF Tested but AS-IS"??????

No, see, your mistake was not having it sent away to be graded by Wata.  Without grading, it’s just a box of something practically nobody wants. But with grading, it’s a box of something practically nobody wants whose cardboard has been scientifically measured on a widely recognised cardboard fanciness scale.  

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

No, see, your mistake was not having it sent away to be graded by Wata.  Without grading, it’s just a box of something practically nobody wants. But with grading, it’s a box of something practically nobody wants whose cardboard has been scientifically measured on a widely recognised cardboard fanciness scale.  

hrmmmm My factory-sealed new-in-box copy of Centipede for the Atari 7800 has an estimated value of $9.  Maybe I could pay a couple hundred bucks to get it graded and bring it up to $10.35.

• Haha 2

I've purchased new cartridges (mostly multi-carts) in the last few years, all except one came without a fancy box.  The only NIB cartridge I felt compelled to purchase was Dragon's Lair, because it was truly ground breaking and done by one of our own valued participants.  I still suck at the game, but it was worth it.

• Like 2

Power Supply Recap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Capacitor-kit-for-TI-99-4A-Power-Supply-Board/223868119656?hash=item341f946a68:g:gBcAAOSwh~peJ8P5

Has anyone done this? Has anyone had the need to recap a TI power supply?

I know most of the Model 100's are dead, if they have not been recapped, but our little 4a doesn't seem to suffer the mass burnt out seen in other electronics of that era.

• Like 1

There are less than ten of each of those cartridges currently known in the wild, so the group is definitely a good find for a collector. I really need to scan my manuals, as I think I have an almost complete set of them for the Management cartridges. . .at least for the cartridges that were actually released.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Dimension 4 - anytime I see a bid retraction, as both a seller and a buyer, I get a bit mad. Makes you wonder if the person was just fishing to see if they could find out how high the highest bid was. In my experience as a seller, it also usually upsets the rest of the bidders with them wondering if that bid was on the level.

image.thumb.png.c20c310549bac87662ec57707ebe2cff.png

• Like 1