IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Was perusing "recently added" TI eBay listings to see if there was anything interesting, and this caught my eye...Huh? Did someone replace the keyboard with a set of keys made for the beige model or what? Looks horrendous IMO (and it's missing the CTRL key but that's not nearly as unusual as the color keyboard on the black/silver model)...

Gray Keys TI.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Was perusing "recently added" TI eBay listings to see if there was anything interesting, and this caught my eye...Huh? Did someone replace the keyboard with a set of keys made for the beige model or what? Looks horrendous IMO (and it's missing the CTRL key but that's not nearly as unusual as the color keyboard on the black/silver model)...

Gray Keys TI.png

There are a lot of these with the different color keyboard that pop up on ebay regularly. I personally think they look terrible. I think they do it when the original keyboard goes bad and they have the beige as a spare. They usually swap out the complete keyboard and not just the keys.

Edited by ClassicComp
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Gray Keys TI.png

I have one like this that I picked up locally in a lot of 3 last year. I thought it was odd too. I'm wondering if it actually was manufactured like this or if the person who owned it previously replaced it. I do know that the zero and = keys get stuck sometimes by the backs of the keys rubbing up against the molding behind them, so it could be that if it was a replacement keyboard, it wasn't put in exactly right.

• Like 1

The TI was not sold in this configuration. There were a lot of surplus keyboards for sale through Radio Shack after TI pulled out of the market (Radio Shack also sold surplus internal power supplies). The price couldn't be beat and the keyboards were high quality. A lot of folks bought a few of them for their systems and changed the keyboard out when they started giving issues (or in many cases, as the Mitsumi keyboards were the best available keyboard back then, just to get the most comfortable keyboard of all in their console). The Mitsumis later degraded to the point where they lost their advantage, but the ones with the ALPS or Stackpole switches usually survived long-term.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ksarul said:

The TI was not sold in this configuration. There were a lot of surplus keyboards for sale through Radio Shack after TI pulled out of the market (Radio Shack also sold surplus internal power supplies). The price couldn't be beat and the keyboards were high quality. A lot of folks bought a few of them for their systems and changed the keyboard out when they started giving issues (or in many cases, as the Mitsumi keyboards were the best available keyboard back then, just to get the most comfortable keyboard of all in their console). The Mitsumis later degraded to the point where they lost their advantage, but the ones with the ALPS or Stackpole switches usually survived long-term.

that's how I ended up with a black Alps in a beige TI. the beige mitsumi keyboard in the beige TI degraded past repair-ability and I had an old black Alps from a busted system that I cleaned up and out in the beige TI. honestly if you never seen a TI99 you wouldn't know it didn't come with a black keyboard. a lot other computers did in that era.

20200213_163254.thumb.jpg.c84c4ba56c418eb53f8b62f05240ecbc.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, hloberg said:

that's how I ended up with a black Alps in a beige TI. the beige mitsumi keyboard in the beige TI degraded past repair-ability and I had an old black Alps from a busted system that I cleaned up and out in the beige TI. honestly if you never seen a TI99 you wouldn't know it didn't come with a black keyboard. a lot other computers did in that era.

20200213_163254.thumb.jpg.c84c4ba56c418eb53f8b62f05240ecbc.jpg

I'd argue this looks better than the stock beige model configuration! Then again, I'm biased, as I'm black and silver for life ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It allows you to run Rom cartridges (Atarisoft/Navarone/Romox/etc) on the beige V2.2 QI consoles.  This looks like the cartridge port version with a reset switch.  CorComp made one that plugged into the side port and had a load interrupt switch.

Edited by Torrax
  • Like 1

Is the button on the Navarone "GromBuster" a reset or load interrupt switch??  As I had a CorComp "GromBuster" once, but gave it away to someone in need with a beige 4A.  Also just checked my Navarone flyer from Oct-1983 and it doesn't mention the switch and its function.  Need to dig out my TexComp, Triton, and Tenex catalogs to see what they say.

It is a RESET button. It forces the console into the power-up routine, takes control, and builds the menu screen with the ROM-only cartridge included. You then select the cartridge and it loads normally. The CorComp Load Interrupt Switch was a different product. I have one of those too.

2 minutes ago, fimbulvetr said:

Anyone know what this “ti-99/4a circuit board” is? Doesn’t look like it goes in a PEB, it just seems to plug into the cartridge port:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ti-99-4a-Circuit-Board-/264635574125?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

It has RAM and a bunch of TTLs... my guess is a GROM emulator.

The seller has a couple other weird pieces of hardware too:

GROM box

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Texas-instrument-GROM-box-As-Is/264633449019?hash=item3d9d61fa3b:g:zewAAOSwTZ9eRcZS

Some sort of dialer for the side port

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Texas-instrument-Wire-wrap-Dialer-As-Is/264634336957?hash=item3d9d6f86bd:g:ntsAAOSwwD1eRslf

Edited by fimbulvetr
Typo

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

It is a GSIM motherboard. . .with the console paddle board cartridge attached. It is missing the switches, power supply, and case. I put the manual for these up on WHT about ten years ago.

hehehe glad I bet nothing on that.  What exactly does it do?