IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

On 4/26/2020 at 5:05 PM, Airshack said:

Do you have the one with detachable joysticks?

Raises hand... I do, I do! Perfect opportunity to hack a busted Genesis controller or db9 extension controller cable and play with a CX-40 instead of the O2's stock (no)joy-sticks.   :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The way I see it, there's no real supply or demand pressure, or time-pressure associated with the sale of the item, when it comes to an item like this, so there's no real rationale to the price.  Almost nobody needs to sell speech synth modules, in the year 2020, and almost nobody needs to buy speech synth modules, in the year 2020.  And those who are selling them mostly don't care much whether they sell in the short term.  So prices fluctuate pretty freely and meaninglessly within the range delimited by the highest price any significant number of purchasers would be willing to pay and the lowest price which would still justify the effort of listing, boxing and shipping it.  But within that very large range, prices don't really signify anything.  It's just pricing by recursion.  It's just "what was this listed for before" all the way down. 

I'm not saying nobody's buying or selling, because clearly that's happening, but rather that there's no meaningful supply or demand pressure, time pressure, or even competitive bidding process which is dictating pricing on the auction market when it comes to non-scarce legacy consumer leisure goods being put up for auction by individual owners.  So the pricing's pretty much arbitrary.  Whether it be some given NES cart which I'm sure sell thousands of copies a year in North America (but originally sold 1000 times that), or a popular legacy computer add-on whose current market is likewise arbitrarily small with respect to its original production quantity.  Pricing is really just consensus-building, in those cases. 

And it's funny to me how it doesn't seem like we've really moved forward much in the last 20 years, when it comes to exchange and sale of legacy consumer goods.  Ebay's still king, and doing pretty much *exactly the same thing it was doing two decades ago*.  That seems nuts.  You'd think someone would have been able to make buck on being clever about it in some new and interesting way that stick, by now, and at least taken a big chunk of the market. 

On the subject of the speech synthesizer, they do not seem to currently be an item that is used much, but for the prices people some people are selling them for, I'm willing to bet someone could make an "updated" version that could have one hell of a downloadable library on an SD card for less than what some of those legacy ones sell for.  Heck, with the people here, we could have an ever expanding library of speech and sound, even foreign languages.

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't someone make a program for the PC that records sound and saves it in the appropriate format?  I can imagine some of the newer generation of programs, possibly even a future ray tracer program having some "killer sounds".  With more utility comes expanded use.  Possibly a future project for someone?

An NIB MBX showed up today.  There's a Best Offer option.  So no harm in offering something reasonable, I figure, if anyone's so inclined.  Doesn't hurt to try, I suppose? 

Almost certainly too rich for my blood though, at any reasonably probable sale price. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MBX-Expansion-System-for-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4a-Home-Computer-New-NOS/184305685224

• Like 2

That may be high-grade condition, mint or pristine, whatever.  But, considering it is obvious that is NOT its new-in-box packaged condition, I refuse to accept that as new-old-stock.  You cannot convince me that was never used even once.  Even if it was just removed from the box and packaged it has been defiled.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

It is "yellow", isn´t it ?

It sure does NOT match the joystick (like the picture on the box).  I cannot imagine that,  New in box, never used! See pictures, comes exactly as shown.  would accumulate so much UV damage.                      

s-l1600.jpg

Note that the bag the MBX is in is pink poly--that will distort the beige color to make it appear to be yellow. The cabling is the tell on this one though: the microphone cabling is mostly in the original looped shape that it would have been shipped in, but it is missing the tie and the bag is otherwise jumbled out of the original shape. The power supply cable is even further from the state it would have been shipped in. That said, there is no serious damage to the microphone foam, so it definitely never saw much in the way of use.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Note that the bag the MBX is in is pink poly--that will distort the beige color to make it appear to be yellow.

Good to know, thanks for that info Ksarul.

This is one of two TI items that has never appealed to me.  For such a limited selection of games, it takes up way too much real estate on the desk and is way over valued to anyone but a collector with money to burn. 

Aside from the pink poly bag, some of those old brominated plastics will yellow with age with no exposure to UV light.  Heat is one enemy and box acidity is another.  I have unfortunate experience with these other factors.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Good to know, thanks for that info Ksarul.

This is one of two TI items that has never appealed to me.  For such a limited selection of games, it takes up way too much real estate on the desk and is way over valued to anyone but a collector with money to burn. 

Yeah, Championship Baseball is really the only game anyone wants to play that fundamentally requires the system, so it's hard to see the price matching the payoff. Another thing that makes the MBX less desirable than it might otherwise be to me is just that it seems to be poorly understood, poorly documented, and utterly unsupported by any TI-99 libraries or development tools.  It'd be one thing if I could "play" with its sound or speech synth or voice recognition.  But if it's just a mysterious box that let's me play Championship Baseball?  Kind of boring. 

1 hour ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Now, THIS one I believe.  But, not that rich.  Meh.

• Like 1