IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

21 hours ago, MacRorie said:

There’s a schematic?  If you have a link, I would love to take a shot at it. 

One very important note on putting these into the PEB. The data lines are extremely sensitive to variations in trace length between the bits. Even minor variances can introduce some serious garble. . .I have a design for one that I'm still trying to fine tune because of that.

• Like 3

This makes me wonder how TI did the original PCB and chip artwork. I'd presume they had some sort of CAD running on their 990s. Not too long prior, chips were designed by hand on huge clear sheets, greatly reduced in production. Now we just whip out our favorite flavor of open-source software for whatever platform we're using. Email the files and BAM boards to your door!

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

One very important note on putting these into the PEB. The data lines are extremely sensitive to variations in trace length between the bits. Even minor variances can introduce some serious garble. . .I have a design for one that I'm still trying to fine tune because of that.

Is there any additional data on this?  Unless the design itself is marginal, I would not think a 3MHz design would need impedence matched traces. 

@Phoenix, I think the newest EAGLE (post 7.X) does them.  I don't know for sure, since I keep a hold of my purchased 7.X version of EAGLE instead of the new subscription version.

Yes, I saw that I think he/she just lowered by $50

But I suppose it's a better buy than my $200 broken ram drive..

Uh, does this mbx work?

I Know I also bought a super sketch for$40 and then found out it didn't work either. But luckily, Greg led me to how I could fix it and I did. Swhooo

Looky here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CIB-MBX-Expansion-System-for-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4a-Home-Computer-/184369953273

Edited by GDMike

Yeah, "does it work" is usually going to be an open question in these cases. 

Even if the seller doesn't have a TI-99 though, can always ask a seller to just plug it in and hit the power switch.  Given it'll say "ready" (if working) on power on, regardless of any TI-99, joystick, or headset being attached.  Basic testing is as trivial as such a thing could ever be.  Just plug it in and hit the switch.  Heck, even if you don't have the adapter - given it's just 9V/1A/positive.  So easy to find a replacement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm glad @FarmerPotato listed the price, because after that I didn't even bother to check it out.  

I was excited until I saw the word "mockup".

But I was using it as a segue to confirm something I suspect, but don't know.

My assumption is that, if I see a device I know is of great interest and it isn't being talked about, it is an attempt to avoid guiding scalpers and "black hole" collectors to it.

I'd hate for the community to miss out on a device I know is desired for documentation if I happen to be wrong. And I'm worried I've already been too precise in my wording if I'm right.

13 minutes ago, JB said:

So people are keeping an eye on his listings and I shouldn't necessarily pipe up if I see something like, say, a certain portable computer's video adapter module, right?

I think that Ksarul is likely going to be bidding on almost anything interesting to preserve it - so if I see he's bidding on something, I'm not going against him.  I don't want to make life hard enough for him - he's spending enough of his own money to help preserve this stuff for all of us.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

If you have a beige TI-99/4A with an F18A installed you may want to snag << this monitor >> quickly before it's gone.

That's a nice color. 

Here are the specs from 2004

https://www.necdisplay.com/documents/colorbrochures/lcd60_series_0204.pdf

It starts at 31.5 kHz dot clock, so it is not the "multisync" of the 90s. It wouldn't cover the 15.75 kHz required for V9938 RGB for instance. F18A does 31.5 kHz which is common.

HOWEVER, neither do the 70 models,according to this brochure from 2008:

https://www.necdisplay.com/documents/colorbrochures/70 series brochure_0608.pdf

AND YET, there are reports that several 70 series such as the LCD1970NXp work great with 15.75 kHz. See this list here: http://15khz.wikidot.com/

A 50 series is reported NOT to work. Two 90 series are reported as full support.

I don't want to spend $100 to find out. though like Omega said it would look nice on my 4A with F18A.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JB said:

Well, SOMEONE noticed the thing I was worried about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-RARE-Texas-Instruments-VIDEO-INTERFACE-HX1100-HEXBUS-Prototype-CB-Wilson-Est/193690423262

CC-40 video adapter went for over two grand. I hope whoever paid that gets their money's worth out of it...

And the person that needed to get it,

Got it ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1