IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

4 hours ago, Ksarul said:

The machine in the auction is NOT a Dimension of any kind. It is a TI-99/4 motherboard in a Dimension case. See the product tag on the bottom (Serial Number 739, which puts it in the same range as the engineering prototype that someone was trying to sell earlier this year).

Good catch. The other 99/4 is here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4-Engineering-Prototype-717-No-Serial-Number/133474657047?hash=item1f13b5a317:g:iOoAAOSwBi5d3JS6

It's number 717. So technically the CB Wilson auction 99/4 is newer than the one already up, and one above is in better shape as well.

• Like 3

Collectors are a different breed from me.  First they obviously have way more money to blow, second they must like looking at things and dusting stuff more than me.  No matter how much I try, I cannot wrap my head around $2,500.00 for a system that will not even run all the cool software out there, even if I did have that kind of money.  I know this hobby is many different things to many people, but I guess in life there are things some people will never be able to comprehend.  I guess I'm one of those limited people.

1 minute ago, Omega-TI said:

Collectors are a different breed from me.  First they obviously have way more money to blow, second they must like looking at things and dusting stuff more than me.  No matter how much I try, I cannot wrap my head around $2,500.00 for a system that will not even run all the cool software out there, even if I did have that kind of money.  I know this hobby is many different things to many people, but I guess in life there are things some people will never be able to comprehend.  I guess I'm one of those limited people.

Actually, since that 99/4 has been up there for months at that asking price, it makes sense that you can't wrap your head around it, as nobody else has been able to either judging by the length of time it's been on eBay :)

2 hours ago, Toucan said:

Actually, since that 99/4 has been up there for months at that asking price, it makes sense that you can't wrap your head around it, as nobody else has been able to either judging by the length of time it's been on eBay :)

His initial listing failed to get a bidder at $1500. He immediately upped the price to $2499 on subsequent listings and it has languished there ever since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

HexBus Interface, I purchased one of the two from the CB Wilson Estate. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these. I thought I was close, I visited Michael's Becker's Magical Basement, and he had made about 20 cases for HexBus interfaces, but he never made them. I'm hoping the HexBus Interface works and I can get it to work the Arduino based HexBus drive that Vorticon has been using and debugging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dhe said:

HexBus Interface, I purchased one of the two from the CB Wilson Estate. I've ALWAYS wanted one of these. I thought I was close, I visited Michael's Becker's Magical Basement, and he had made about 20 cases for HexBus interfaces, but he never made them. I'm hoping the HexBus Interface works and I can get it to work the Arduino based HexBus drive that Vorticon has been using and debugging.

I have one of the two Hex-Bus Interfaces Michael completed. The inside wiring is a work of art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So about those new floppy disks...

I searched for "Centech color 5.25 floppy". These were the first floppies to come in colors other than black. They took out a full spread ad in 99'er.   It was beautiful.   GADEGO ordered a box of 100. We added our own labels to them.  The Cyan colored floppy matched the TI background color.  I still have those. 

Unfortunately, I only found these, in a warehouse in Forth Worth.

https://cfusion.com/inventory/54149.000

image.thumb.png.4123845dff160cca1f308360f5d6a88c.png

Cruel cruel world. One wonders how this happened, perhaps in the desperate final days of 5.25" media.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, FarmerPotato said:

So about those new floppy disks...

I searched for "Centech color 5.25 floppy". These were the first floppies to come in colors other than black. They took out a full spread ad in 99'er.   It was beautiful.   GADEGO ordered a box of 100. We added our own labels to them.  The Cyan colored floppy matched the TI background color.  I still have those. 

Unfortunately, I only found these, in a warehouse in Forth Worth.

https://cfusion.com/inventory/54149.000

image.thumb.png.4123845dff160cca1f308360f5d6a88c.png

Cruel cruel world. One wonders how this happened, perhaps in the desperate final days of 5.25" media.

Adjusted for inflation that box of 50 is still CHEAPER than what we paid back in the early days. 

9 hours ago, Mitkraft said:

I have one of those that isn’t even missing any buttons. I’d let it go for less than that...lol.

The Epson MX-80 (Texas Instruments Impact Printer) was a great printer, it would print all day, albeit slowly.  I ended up removing the RS-232 interface from mine as the printer never seemed to work properly using the PIO interface if the RS-232 card was installed.  If I remember correctly I paid a King's ransom for the damn thing too.  When I replaced it with the RX-80 a couple of years later I was disappointed, while the quality was better, but it would continually pause during extended printing sessions due to overheating.   

Too bad that one is so yellowed and missing a key.

32 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

The Epson MX-80 (Texas Instruments Impact Printer) was a great printer, it would print all day, albeit slowly.  I ended up removing the RS-232 interface from mine as the printer never seemed to work properly using the PIO interface if the RS-232 card was installed.  If I remember correctly I paid a King's ransom for the damn thing too.  When I replaced it with the RX-80 a couple of years later I was disappointed, while the quality was better, but it would continually pause during extended printing sessions due to overheating.   

Too bad that one is so yellowed and missing a key.

Want to get rid of that RS232 interface card for the printer?  I’ve been searching for one forever..... ?

thanks! 

For some time in the 90s I was trying to get my hands on a Commodore MPS-1250 printer, which is essentially my MPS-1200, an OEMed Epson something or other, with the combination CBM serial and Centronics parallel port interface card.  With slight modification, this would have allowed me to print from my Commodore 128, TI, and Amiga (the latter two on a switch box.)

• Like 3