IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

16 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:
  18 hours ago, GDMike said:

Shoot, after saying,  I need,

"August 1980 byte"this lovely book  shows up at a Whooping$50 freaking bucks. I'll wait, but no thanks!  I heard it's selling around$125 on Amazon.

There is actually 3 of these books on eBay. 2 Same price and one for a Whooping $167. I'm sure$50 is a good deal, just not for me. :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265169020188?epid=2139536&hash=item3dbd4e251c%3Ag%3AYskAAOSw5PtgqTxE&LH_BIN=1

There is a make-offer button.

• Like 2

They probably just sourced a connector out of the Quality Ignored assembly line.  As I understand it, TI was bleeding money on their computers at the end of things, and if that is a late-manufacture silver, I would not be too surprised to see some oddities like that.

Could also be a user-serviced unit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Hey, found a silver console with a beige joystick port.... ??? any idea ?

ISTR that at some point in the production run, TI was mixing and matching parts.  No telling what board this really is: a beige board in a black case, but what version board? Or could it have originally been a black board recoditioned with beige parts?  What color is the cassette port?

• Like 1

AFAIK, the old-style keyboard strip slot and the "Solid State Software" badge being on a plastic insert date this one to very early 1983 at the latest, based on the consoles I've seen. Since that was well before the introduction of the beige units, the board probably was swapped by the user, like @wierd_w said.     

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

ISTR that at some point in the production run, TI was mixing and matching parts.  No telling what board this really is: a beige board in a black case, but what version board? Or could it have originally been a black board recoditioned with beige parts?  What color is the cassette port?

I dont know the color, only have these pics from the auction

Why the disdain for the QI board? It seems TI actually made some useful changes to the system: combined much of the glue logic into a monolithic gate, fixed the ALPHA LOCK-joystick conflict, and changed to a switching power supply.  With the exception of the FG99 (timing differences?) and the SuperSpace II (lack of CRU,) my QIs work with all of my devices.  I think it took away CS2, but I do not see that as having been used much in practice.

• Like 2

I see it both ways:

The handwriting was well on the wall about the TI's days being numbered, as Commodore flooded the market with cheap breadbins. Even so, TI stood-fast to the increasingly farcical notion that they could still control the software market, which is what most of the signal changes and GROM-Required boot behavior were really all about. 

Fixing the keyboard problem, and reducing system complexity are good and all-- but holding that death-grip on a nonsense proposition only hurt the system's image. They desperately wanted to do the Gillette Razorblade model (Sell the base system at a steep price cut, but then make up for it in software licensing fees, enforced by the proprietary GROM architecture, and the monopoly on licensing of that kind of memory technology), but that only works when people are willing to by your "razors."  When the market has lots of offerings that are competitively priced, but DO NOT come with the steeper software and add-on prices (and which cannot successfully boot cartridges that the older model could, such as the Atari games), people are less inclined to get into that, unless they just love the system for some other, outstanding reason.

Since that message was profoundly clear by the time the QI came out, "Ignore" is pretty much the right word.  The disagreement, is on what the word "Quality" means.  ("quality" for who, and in what manner.  Quality in terms of enforcing licensed only solid state carts, quality in terms of user experience, quality in terms of reduced unit price through simplification, etc. By forcing the issue with the GROM loader, and purposefully changing timing and other behavior to break 3rd party carts, they pretty much answered that question-- it is not "quality" as the user would consider it--  Thus, "Quality Ignored"-- The thing they sought to accomplish, through ignoring the fact that it was not feasibly attainable. They clearly believed that the reduced unit price, coupled with the reduced component set would be sufficiently appealing to end users to overcome the Bad of breaking 3rd party cartridges. While tech heads might get excited by that kind of thing, most end users are not. Again, the kind of quality end users wanted was "Ignored.")

Edited by wierd_w

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

TI stood-fast to the increasingly farcical notion that they could still control the software market, which is what most of the signal changes and GROM-Required boot behavior were really all about.

The ROM lock-out of the v2.2 OS, sure. But the QI board does not run hand-in-hand with the v2.2 OS. I have no problem using third-party cartridges, with the two exceptions noted, with my QI boards.

On 6/28/2021 at 12:49 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Why the disdain for the QI board?

You left out much easier to disassemble and put back together. 

I believe much of the criticism comes from v2.2 actually removing capability. And also no obvious way to tell if your unpowered QI machine is going to be a v2.2 version OS. When I see QI's on eBay it makes me wonder if it is worth the v2.2 risk. Also...that beige case is kind of symbolizes too-little too-late. It's not a delorean, etc...one could start a flame thread on the topic.

• Like 4

Introduction to FORTH by Ken Knecht (Blacksburg Continuing Education) TI-99/4A

So I found this on eBay. I think it was like $8-9 bucks so I grabbed it.

Introduction to FORTH by Ken Knecht (Blacksburg Continuing Education) TI-99/4
I never heard of it being released for the TI? Or did the seller just say, "TI-99/4A"?  anyway, I still want the book either way.

$_12.jpeg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Console system including TI monitor and a bunch of carts (nothing out of the ordinary.)  Sans PEB but still a nice starter configuration if the price holds.  Even shipping is not terrible (at least to me.)

https://ebay.com/itm/334055958480

s-l1600.jpg

wow, that is a really nice set!  Mrs. Digdug would be digging two graves, though- one for me and one for the stuff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Console system including TI monitor and a bunch of carts (nothing out of the ordinary.)  Sans PEB but still a nice starter configuration if the price holds.  Even shipping is not terrible (at least to me.)

https://ebay.com/itm/334055958480

...and he trades for beans, so maybe I make an offer :-D

• Like 1