IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Myarc RS-232 - It works, but doesn't that card interfere with something?

CorComp FDC - Okay, it's DSDD, but it may need to be modified to work with other devices.

I have no interest in the system and it is priced too high IMHO but I have to wonder why (IMHO) there is a cloud of negativity regarding peripheral cards.

CorComp and Myarc cards have been available and used in systems for years. What interference? What doesn't the CorComp FDC work with? A few specifics would be helpful to those interested in expanding their systems.

• Like 2

CorComp FDC - Okay, it's DSDD, but it may need to be modified to work with other devices.

I have no interest in the system and it is priced too high IMHO but I have to wonder why (IMHO) there is a cloud of negativity regarding peripheral cards.

CorComp and Myarc cards have been available and used in systems for years. What interference? What doesn't the CorComp FDC work with? A few specifics would be helpful to those interested in expanding their systems.

Myths and juju other than the cc always needs mg ROMs

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No cloud of negativity on my part... except for the price of some of these 'less obtainable' cards. For instance a modified TI-FDC with the inexpensive 80 track chip upgrade will give one the same amount of space per drive as the usually more expensive DSDD Corcomp controller. I also seem to remember something about people needing to modify the CorComp controller as it interfered with loading of some specific hardware. What that hardware is or was, I can no longer say as my memory is a mere shell of what it used to be. It's kinda funny now though, as now days the TI-FDC and TIPI are having issues together. So in the end, it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

I also seem to remember something about a piece of hardware someone was using that did not work properly until their Myarc RS-232 card was removed. Now to me, I admit that sounds kinda funky, unless it used the same add address or something. Maybe a search could find that info?

No cloud of negativity on my part... except for the price of some of these 'less obtainable' cards. For instance a modified TI-FDC with the inexpensive 80 track chip upgrade will give one the same amount of space per drive as the usually more expensive DSDD Corcomp controller. I also seem to remember something about people needing to modify the CorComp controller as it interfered with loading of some specific hardware. What that hardware is or was, I can no longer say as my memory is a mere shell of what it used to be. It's kinda funny now though, as now days the TI-FDC and TIPI are having issues together. So in the end, it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

I also seem to remember something about a piece of hardware someone was using that did not work properly until their Myarc RS-232 card was removed. Now to me, I admit that sounds kinda funky, unless it used the same add address or something. Maybe a search could find that info?

Yes, memory can be a tricky thing.

Price and desire often come down to functionality or speed or some other feature one card has over the other. For 3.5" drives the 80 track option is great; not so much for 5.25" drives. Thus comparable capacity has dependencies.

There should be no issue with the RS232 other than some Myarc cards have fewer control lines than their TI and corcomp counterparts (and of course the HDX mod only works with a TI card).

A section of the FAQ/read me first thread might be a way to share knowledge about known incompatibilities. However, I would suggest that all of us perform the search you suggested and use some caution before writing about alleged/uncertain deficiencies

• Like 1

One thing I recall about the MYARC RS232 was that it could spike some printers and there was a simple mod to fix that problem involving a resistor. I've done the mod to a number of MYARC RS232 cards but it's been a decade or two and it's a little fuzzy in my grey matter currently but certainly not reason to scratch MYARC RS232 ownership off the list for people that are trying to expand their systems. If I can find my notes on this simple mod I'll post it. Anyone else remember the mod specifics?

One thing I recall about the MYARC RS232 was that it could spike some printers and there was a simple mod to fix that problem involving a resistor. I've done the mod to a number of MYARC RS232 cards but it's been a decade or two and it's a little fuzzy in my grey matter currently but certainly not reason to scratch MYARC RS232 ownership off the list for people that are trying to expand their systems. If I can find my notes on this simple mod I'll post it. Anyone else remember the mod specifics?

Could this spike be related to the random print buffer overflows and phantom incoming data my HP LaserJet experiences when my PEB is switched from ON to OFF?

Could this spike be related to the random print buffer overflows and phantom incoming data my HP LaserJet experiences when my PEB is switched from ON to OFF?

I hesitate to say what the cause of the problem is other than to say it's an easy fix. Like I say it's been over a decade since I've modified one and I just don't recall.

I hesitate to say what the cause of the problem is other than to say it's an easy fix. Like I say it's been over a decade since I've modified one and I just don't recall.

If anyone out there happens to know it, I would appreciate the information.

In the meantime, six more nanoPEBs have hit the street in this eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2024776083801?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=202477608380&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

IMHO, agree. New tech has its place and is for certain audiences, but older tech still works fine and isn’t suddenly made inoperative by new stuff.

I have a Corcomp sidecar that I still use to this day with RS232, 32K, and disk. The TIPI isn’t on my system full time. I still have to copy floppies and use a traditional RS232 from time to time. :)

• Like 1

10% off of everything on ebay, using the code: PICKUPTEN

Coupon is good until 8 AM eastern time Friday, October 26th. Only eBay users registered on ebay.​com, ebay.​ca and cafr.ebay.​ca, with an address located in the United States, Canada, Latin America or the Caribbean are eligible for the Coupon.

Too bad for me I already spent my ebay money today :(

• Like 1

IMHO, agree. New tech has its place and is for certain audiences, but older tech still works fine and isn’t suddenly made inoperative by new stuff.

I have a Corcomp sidecar that I still use to this day with RS232, 32K, and disk. The TIPI isn’t on my system full time. I still have to copy floppies and use a traditional RS232 from time to time. :)

I would shrivel and die without my RS232 card... :-D

• Like 2

I have a Corcomp sidecar that I still use to this day with RS232, 32K, and disk. The TIPI isn’t on my system full time. I still have to copy floppies and use a traditional RS232 from time to time. icon_smile.gif

why not leave tipi on the end of the chain.. and just set the cru jumper to 1800 .. then it's still available for internet/TIPI. and doesn't interfere with your local drives.. oh because you have 2 32k devices.. you'd need a card edge to pin connector adapter to do that

I checked my Myarc notes and found no reference to this fix, though most of the cards I worked on were the various controllers and geneves. The Myarc serial port update article is in Micropendium and in one of the old FAQ, of course that doesn't help the parallel port situation.

Can you share a picture or two of the card itself, component and trace side? I can compare it with my Myarc card for giggles. Who knows, it might trigger a memory or two from those of us who have worked on the cards in the past.

• Like 1

I checked my Myarc notes and found no reference to this fix, though most of the cards I worked on were the various controllers and geneves. The Myarc serial port update article is in Micropendium and in one of the old FAQ, of course that doesn't help the parallel port situation.

Can you share a picture or two of the card itself, component and trace side? I can compare it with my Myarc card for giggles. Who knows, it might trigger a memory or two from those of us who have worked on the cards in the past.

If I get a chance this weekend I'll try to find exactly what this mod is. I just don't want to blurt something out and give people a bum steer. It might be something as simple as swapping a resistor value. I seem to remember the Panasonic 9pin printers were especially vulnerable to this spike. What a workhorse the Panasonic 9 pin printer was. I still have mine. I printed box after box of tractor feed paper through that thing. Plenty of ribbons too. Do they still sell tractor feed paper anymore? lol

I guess you could add that neither Classic99 nor MAME permit their emulators to be included in such a compilation, and note that copyright notwithstanding, the seller is probably disregarding at least one product's license. ;) (Restricted list to these two since it calls out Windows emulation)

The CD comes with V9T9 and Win994A, as well as copies of the 99/4A console ROM and GROM. I seriously doubt he has a license to distribute the latter, I have no idea the constraints of V9T9, but Win994A includes this notice in the installer:

Under no circumstances may any application in this suite or its accompanying data files (carts, disks, tapes, ect) be sold, offered for sale, or cause to be offered for sale. In many cases, the original developer of these items have their own copyright in place which supersedes BurrSoft.

Attached is a list of the files contained within the CD.

TI-99_Emulator_CD.txt

• Like 3

Huh, I'm honestly surprised, but slightly on the pleasant side of the spectrum. Is it the new version of V9T9 then, or the older DOS one? The TICART and TIDISK files make it look like a dump of the Win994A archives.

Yes, it looks like just a few quick downloads of what's available for Win994A and the latest version of V9T9 based on what's on Ed Swartz's site currently. Not a very impressive compilation CD. I was thinking maybe it would have included some of the WHTech archive files which would definitely take some time to download and organize, but just looks like someone did some minimal work and is making a few bucks off of what would take all of a few minutes to download if you knew where to look for it.