IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

I have no doubt that it'll eventually sell; it's way out of my league though. The initial bid is set pretty high. The wining bidder will still have to pony up for the additional costs of the interface cable as well as the SCSI disk drive unit, then probably even a case to store the drive in. I wonder what all that combined with shipping will eventually cost? It's a hobby though, so I'm sure someone with the bucks will pop for it, possibly even a collector. Even after all that, there is the usual problem of getting all the new goodies from the Internet/PC into the TI. So hopefully they already have an RS-232 card and interface cable.

I have no doubt that it'll eventually sell; it's way out of my league though. The initial bid is set pretty high. The wining bidder will still have to pony up for the additional costs of the interface cable as well as the SCSI disk drive unit, then probably even a case to store the drive in. I wonder what all that combined with shipping will eventually cost? It's a hobby though, so I'm sure someone with the bucks will pop for it, possibly even a collector. Even after all that, there is the usual problem of getting all the new goodies from the Internet/PC into the TI. So hopefully they already have an RS-232 card and interface cable.

I picked up a 100MB SCSI drive for about $20. They are stupid expensive, though. I have several larger SCSI drives hanging around (1GB and above,) but I think the limit is something like 200MB. Cables are dime-a-dozen if you know the right people (you know, like old codgers in an old computer community ;)) I have my 100MB in my PEB using regular old 3.5"-5.25" mounting brackets. Okay, so the old stuff is getting difficult to find, unless you know one of us giving souls!

Getting stuff to the TI for me is as simple as writing a disk on the PC. I have thought about an HDX-type of set up, though, as I would like to have a single computer which acts as a file server front-end to a NAS for several machines: TI, Commodore 64, etc. Maybe one day.

All that said, as I mentioned in another thread, I am quite a bit disappointed in my SCSI card. SCS1 does not work, and neither does floppy emulation. The latter was a BIG reason I bought it. I think the main reason I will keep it is because I do plan to develop some on the Big Box. I know, I already hear the screams of "CRAZY TALK! EMULATION,MAN!" but I promise I will do both when I finally do start developing something useful and I really do want the experience of developing on the metal.

I picked up a 100MB SCSI drive for about $20. They are stupid expensive, though. I have several larger SCSI drives hanging around (1GB and above,) but I think the limit is something like 200MB. Cables are dime-a-dozen if you know the right people (you know, like old codgers in an old computer community ;)) I have my 100MB in my PEB using regular old 3.5"-5.25" mounting brackets. Okay, so the old stuff is getting difficult to find, unless you know one of us giving souls!

Getting stuff to the TI for me is as simple as writing a disk on the PC. I have thought about an HDX-type of set up, though, as I would like to have a single computer which acts as a file server front-end to a NAS for several machines: TI, Commodore 64, etc. Maybe one day.

All that said, as I mentioned in another thread, I am quite a bit disappointed in my SCSI card. SCS1 does not work, and neither does floppy emulation. The latter was a BIG reason I bought it. I think the main reason I will keep it is because I do plan to develop some on the Big Box. I know, I already hear the screams of "CRAZY TALK! EMULATION,MAN!" but I promise I will do both when I finally do start developing something useful and I really do want the experience of developing on the metal.

SCSI card is not bad, but the DSR needs some work, could do for alot of improvements, maybe someday I will take mine out and look at improving the DSR for it.

I for one would appreciate it. I have no idea how difficult floppy emulation would be to implement, but it would be awesome.

Getting stuff to the TI for me is as simple as writing a disk on the PC.

I have thought about an HDX-type of set up, though, as I would like to have a single computer which acts as a file server front-end to a NAS for several machines: TI, Commodore 64, etc. Maybe one day.

I'm curious, what program are you using to write the TI disks on the PC? Are you using a desktop computer with it's own floppy drive controller and a special use disk drive? Maybe I've understood incorrectly and have been ignorant for years, but I did not know that was possible. When I use a floppy on my laptop, it's a plug-in USB model so I'm not sure about compatibility even if I was able to get the appropriate program.

I use an HDX myself and can tell you, it's well worth it. As of now I believe it's the most economical route to go, it's certainly fast and efficient. Also, depending on how you have your system setup, you could even have your TI and Classic 99 emulator share the same exact files, so there would be no need for duplication. For a software developer I imagine that could save some time.

I have an old SuperSocket7 motherboard and a 5.25" I pulled from my PEB when I installed my hard drive. I use TI99-PC to write disks. I have not done so in a few years as I have not needed to, but it is possible.

I think the big problem is, like my CP/M disk reader/writer 22disk, the floppy controller has to be real and not virtual (like a USB floppy.) As well, there are certain controllers which were included as part of the SuperIO chips later in time which will not work, either.

Barry Boone (Ti Master) and author wonderful great famous things like Archiver, has listed some cool items on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/ti_master/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-TI-99-2-TEXAS-INSTRUMENTS-99-2-COMPUTER-/141189194129?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item20df882191

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-99-4A-TI-99-8-Proto-board-Peripheral-Expansion-Box-size-EXTREMELY-RARE-/141185748972?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20df538fec

This lot includes the very rare TI99/2

And a TI Proto Board very useful for wire wrapping up your own new PE-Box design, I used these on many occasions...

Keep on eye on this eBay account he going to be offering up more goodies soon like Myarc and other good cards, etc.

• Like 1

I noticed it, and the price, but after someone suggested I might be jacking up prices by mentioning stuff, I decided not to get involved on items of rarity, collectors value or high-priced ones. Besides (at least to me) it has limited expansion capability due to design.

Yes well you already told everybody about the scsi board I was gonna get for $100 :) Seriously though, people pay what they think something's worth, it's not your or my doing that makes them think a $100 card is worth $300.

Imho we should set a reasonable value on these and keep them in the "community" rather than trying to make a mint on Ebay. But they own the items, so they are theirs to do with as they choose.

Greg

• Like 1

I like this approach. I prefer to put something in the hands of someone who will use it than sell it, in most cases. It is difficult to encourage, let alone enforce. There are a lot of drooling "collectors" out there who are willing to shell out a metric shyt-tonne of money for "rare" or "vintage" items, while ones of us who would actually use the product have limited budgets.

• Like 1

I like this approach. I prefer to put something in the hands of someone who will use it than sell it, in most cases. It is difficult to encourage, let alone enforce. There are a lot of drooling "collectors" out there who are willing to shell out a metric shyt-tonne of money for "rare" or "vintage" items, while ones of us who would actually use the product have limited budgets.

If they hold on to them too long, those who actually might be interested will no longer be around and they'll start LOSING value. Your post inspired a new poll....

• Like 1

I did :) 3 messages up

Oh, yeah. Guess I should have clicked on the link, but you never know with what people seed these forums. One minute I am browsing about TI programming, then I click on a link and BAM! The bloody Olympics!* What the hell do the Olympics have to do with TI programming?!

* This only ever happened in the mind of a paranoid. But it is my excuse if the missus or the girlfriend ever find "naughty" stuff on my computer. And if the two of them ever share notes... yikes!

• Like 1

If they hold on to them too long, those who actually might be interested will no longer be around and they'll start LOSING value. Your post inspired a new poll....

It never ceases to amaze me how volatile the retro collecting market can be, something as simple as a feature in a magazine or a TV program can seriously impact the price of whatever system was featured.

A good example would be when the BBC screened the drama "Micro Men", the price of BBC micro's shot through the roof in the UK, now they seem to have settled back down, TI stuff has started to fetch some silly prices over here now(but that may be my fault for trying to convert the great unwashed-sorry,have to stop using that reference towards ZX Spectrum & C64 owners).

I never understood needing to emulate a floppy drive on a hard drive. I've been using hard drives with my TI for 20 plus years starting with the HFDC and moving on to SCSI cards and never saw the need for it. Just use the hard drive instead of the floppy, what is the big deal exactly?

Gazoo

I never understood needing to emulate a floppy drive on a hard drive. I've been using hard drives with my TI for 20 plus years starting with the HFDC and moving on to SCSI cards and never saw the need for it. Just use the hard drive instead of the floppy, what is the big deal exactly?

Gazoo

Useful for programs or games which may not recognize a hard drive directory structure. Same reason why we would use DSK images (or ADFs, D64s, etc.) or even the nanoPEB/CF7 when it could easily be used as a hard drive, instead. It would be very useful to me to have a copy of a game on a hard drive in a directory to which I map DSK1. Volume emulation might be nice, as well, for instance DSK.TITANIUM maps to SCS1.GAMES.RASMUS.TITANIUM.

Gazoo

Oh my, floppy emulation with the HFDC is awesome :) Before modifying Archiver to handle the hard drive devices, I -always- had an emulate file up and running for archiving, uploading/downloading from floppy-only term programs, running disk images of floppy-based software, etc. In fact, one of the reasons I still have an HFDC in my system is for its emulation capability.

In fact, many of my floppy images still reside on my system as "emulate" files. On the Geneve, a batch file changes the emulate file very quickly. On the TI MDM5 and some other utilities are needed. When Jim S. updated the DSR to allow for 12800 sector 'disks' my first test was to load it full of Infocom games and copy the loader for each disk-specific data source. Unknown at the time, the allocation bug I more recently found and fixed caused some (at the time) ugly errors in the sector handling. :(

Useful for programs or games which may not recognize a hard drive directory structure. Same reason why we would use DSK images (or ADFs, D64s, etc.) or even the nanoPEB/CF7 when it could easily be used as a hard drive, instead. It would be very useful to me to have a copy of a game on a hard drive in a directory to which I map DSK1. Volume emulation might be nice, as well, for instance DSK.TITANIUM maps to SCS1.GAMES.RASMUS.TITANIUM.

Oh my, floppy emulation with the HFDC is awesome :) Before modifying Archiver to handle the hard drive devices, I -always- had an emulate file up and running for archiving, uploading/downloading from floppy-only term programs, running disk images of floppy-based software, etc. In fact, one of the reasons I still have an HFDC in my system is for its emulation capability.

In fact, many of my floppy images still reside on my system as "emulate" files. On the Geneve, a batch file changes the emulate file very quickly. On the TI MDM5 and some other utilities are needed. When Jim S. updated the DSR to allow for 12800 sector 'disks' my first test was to load it full of Infocom games and copy the loader for each disk-specific data source. Unknown at the time, the allocation bug I more recently found and fixed caused some (at the time) ugly errors in the sector handling. :(

The drive structure of the nanoPEB/CF7 is what I DON'T like about the devices. If they were in a Hard Drive configuration, I might try to find a console and purchase one of those devices.

The few times I've run into the problem of a program needing to run from floppy, I've just fixed the program. No need to go to the extra trouble of banking in a floppy image. Makes everything easier to run from a menu.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

hey guys, in this auction there are 6 nice Cartridges Drawers... i'd like to have someone on my desk... maybe some of you is interested in this acution ? :-D :-D :-D

ebay Auction TI-99 Lot

WOW!! Real TI cartridge drawers! I would love to have the whole lot. Sure beats the crafts cases I have my carts in now, though I probably have more than the drawers can hold. With an MBX, no less. The whole thing is too rich for my blood, but still a nice set.