IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

18 hours ago, acadiel said:

Thanks for the clarification. However, I do see this as a trend, and wrestled with whether or not to bring it up. Whether you realize it or not, when something new comes out, you always seem to “talk down” about the older solutions. It has nothing to do with “political correctness.”

Yes, cheap was a bad word - cheap is synonymous nowadays with “no quality”. Less expensive is indeed better suited.

However, this phrase was also a little condescending to Jamie’s hardware: “It's like an old VW Bug, it can get you there, but sometimes issues arise along the way and it lacks comfort and features.”

The Nano is still a current piece of modern hardware that Jaime maintains and updates. They sell like hot cakes. They’re easy to use, economical, and give you disk and 32K as well as serial. It’s not by far “an old VW bug.” There are many file managers like TI99dir that support point and click copy operations, and CF2K, which does the same.

Bottom line is all I’m asking you to do is moderate how you talk about older hardware when newer things come out. I love your enthusiasm, don’t ever stop it - just monitor how your words may be interpreted. As someone who also makes hardware, I wouldn’t want mine being compared to “an old VW bug” either.

I've noticed it as well. Love the enthusiasm, but not quite sure the sentiment is shared with as large an audience and Omega may think. I can tell you that a 32K and FinalGROM isn't enough for me, while on the other hand the TIPI is too much. The nanoPEB is just what the doctor ordered for this TI enthusiast. I personally have no desire for networking my TI. I just want an economical way of reproducing what I could have had back in the day - nearly all the carts ever made (FinalGROM), 32k expansion and multiple disk drives with nearly all the diskettes ever made (nanoPEB). I don't even need the serial connection, but it's cool in case I would happen to need it. I would prefer that the nanoPEB would use SD cards instead of increasingly hard to find CF cards, many of which don't work with the nanoPEB so as it is. Otherwise, I think there's plenty of room for all this cool modern tech to go around and no need to slag on what has come before, especially seeing how quickly the nanoPEBs sell out as soon as they are made available.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Opry99er said:

Do the CF->SD adapters not work with the nanoPEB?

So far, the only one I've tried hasn't worked. I did find some older SD cards in a drawer (2 GB) which I haven't yet tried. But so far, I haven't been able to get one to work without corrupting like many CF cards I've tried. I've only been able to get some SanDisk CF cards to work reliably with the nanoPEB.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:06 PM, OLD CS1 said:

ooooo that would be really nice to have for traveling to events.  So much easier to transport than a PEB!

(Although, I have my reservations on a brand new eBay account with zero feedback... does anyone happen to know this guy?)

Hi OldCS1,

correct it is me (@globeron)  Ronald van Kleunen (ronald@globeron.com)  and I am selling most of my father's TI-99 equipment

as he passed away last August, he collected a lot of TI99. I still have more to list on ebay, just need to find time.

ebay:

I had so many problems with ebay accounts (as I lived in Singapore and Thailand, moved to The Netherlands and accounts where

created on a USA website...  ebay cannot handle it, plus they do limitations on the selling amount and number of items to list. 

I have spent calling ebay USA, Singapore for 6+ hours in total.

Now it seems I have two ebay accounts that can list: 

* ronvankl_0 (which is new setup in The Netherlands ebay.nl, because of the location I am selling from).

* globeronthailand (it seems to be solved, but I am not listing here).

the other ebay accounts:

* globeronronald (Singapore, they are not able to get it solved in ebay.sg)

* ronvankl22 (The Netherlands, here is a problem with their authorization process to

my telephone number, ebay.nl system get stuck. I had the same problem with ronvankl_0,

but with dual-factor authorization it can work, but now you get an sms each time to login, very inconvenient)

Ronald

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I certainly do not, I have never set eyes on him or his kid before!:grin:

P.S. Personally... I've never trusted foreigners!;)

(see my other reply to Old_CS1  with all the issues I have with ebay accounts when going international).

but it is me @goberon / Ronald van Kleunen - selling my father's TI99 equipment.

Also here is my channel with a lot of TI99 videos on youtube (channel "TI99 VIDEOS"):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7jwHlQfNTAKQ9WdKORAnpA/videos?disable_polymer=1

• Thanks 1

i have several adapters and rarely had problems.  I do remember tossing one that was intermittent but have many more that are fine.

I have had problems with some brands of cards, though.

Adapters aren't the issue it's does the card support the required ide mode that the nano requires. Ymmv I have found some cf cards that do.. And I stick with them

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

@globeron  My condolences on your father's passing.  Though I know it will come one day, I am thankful I have yet to experience the loss.  Thank you for taking care of his collection.  There are plenty of us here who will make sure it gets put to proper use, and if I win the bid on your CPS-99 I can promise you it will be well-traveled.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah, shipping is a killer to the East Coast on that one. $42.45 to me in the Philly area. There are two boxed TI-99/4A's on Mercari for $39 and $40 here and here. Shipping is only $11.50. Pretty solid.

I never knew about this site.  I'll have to add it to my favorites for future reference.  The prices don't seem to be as out-of-hand as on Ebay.  Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I never knew about this site.  I'll have to add it to my favorites for future reference.  The prices don't seem to be as out-of-hand as on Ebay.  Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah it's a good one! I put it in the same "box" as OfferUp and letgo, but Mercari is ONLY shipping, while the other two are local meetup-centric but OfferUp recently added a shipping component. Don't forget about good ol' Bonanza, too!

Dear all,

https://www.ebay.com/mys/active?MyEbayBeta&CurrentPage=MyeBayNextSelling&ssPageName=STRK%3AME%3ALNLK%3AMESEX

Yesterday I have been listing 34x  TI-99/4A items, but with shipment European zone only, because of shipment costs.

(Books, Magazines, Tape Recorders, Cables, Joysticks)

(shipment to USA is also possible but for higher costs, see table below)

More to come: PEB boxes, PHM modules, motherboards, empty consoles, consoles with keyboard issues, power supplies, PAL modulators.

and later on printers, plotter.

SCF 212 2019.11.11 22.50.jpg

Edited by globeron
  • Like 2

Yeah, shipping is a killer to the East Coast on that one. $42.45 to me in the Philly area. There are two boxed TI-99/4A's on Mercari for $39 and $40 here and here. Shipping is only $11.50. Pretty solid.
Well I got one on Mercari.. Will let yanno how it ships to west coast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was able to snag a v9938 chip from eBay from a US vendor. I did a search for "9938" and it appeared. I sent a copy of the auction to our "chip authenticator", Jim Fetzner, since the markings on the chip weren't like any that I had ever seen before. Jim said it was authentic so I bought it! $17 (including shipping). Unfortunately, it was a "one off" auction. He only had a single chip. It pays to randomly check eBay for items that you want. As a side note, JK_Parts (a fairly reliable Chinese vendor) has v9958 chips for $8.77 plus shipping.

Edited by atrax27407
  • Like 2

I use the eBay searches which deliver the hits by eMail automatically.

As there is a limit of 200 searches, I use 3 accounts now for about 500 searches ?

PS: It was the eBay customer support, when I complained some years ago, who told me just to open new accounts for that ;)

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Haha 1