IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Ah, OK, I did not think about the SAY and SPGET subprograms that are only available in Extended Basic. There is some pretty important information in there, concerning the pauses between words, and which IIRC were not included in the Extended Basic manuals.

Since the cartridge only allows for accessing the speech vocabulary, there is no use for international Speech Editor cartridges - unless you had an expansion module plugged into the synthesizer itself.

I'd also be interested in LPC codings of German sounds like "ä", "ö", "ü", both "ch" variants, "l", and "r". The problem is that without samples, you'd have to modify existing phonemes to sound alike; this should be similarly difficult like explaining them to an English-speaking person who has never heard them before (like "ü is like English ee with rounded lips").

To get the German vowel sounds in English, you can take the word butte to get the German "ü" sound, colonel or kernel to get the "ö" sound, and the "ä" sound is all over the place in English. Obviously, the spelling is nowhere near what one would expect in German for those vowel sounds--but the output is the same.

And he's one of eBay's more notorious sellers of overpriced material. Amazing what one can do with a cartridge that he probably bought at an already hyper-inflated price. He had a boxed /4A on there last year sometime for something like $1500 in one of those custom Lucite grading shells he uses. . .

you can take the word butte to get the German "ü" sound

Butte like below?

I learned about that word in my last vacation where I shot this picture; but isn't it pronounced /bju:t/ (or as you would write, "byoot")? Still a bit far from "ü".

post-35000-0-05475200-1465167649_thumb.jpg

Bureaucracy is another good one with the Ü sound in it. . .we have these sounds all over the place in English, but we don't have any consistent way to spell the sounds we use. I read somewhere that there are only 40 distinct sounds used in English, but there are over 5,000 ways to spell them.

Bureaucracy is another good one with the Ü sound in it. . .we have these sounds all over the place in English, but we don't have any consistent way to spell the sounds we use. I read somewhere that there are only 40 distinct sounds used in English, but there are over 5,000 ways to spell them.

Vowels are easy...there are always english sounds that you can "fake" into working for nearly any language...consonants are another matter entirely. English is pretty unimaginative when it come to consonant sounds, so there is nothing that comes close to the french "R" or german "CHT". I love playing with phonemes, but finally gave up trying to recreate these two sounds accurately with a TI Speech synth. if anyone has had success please share you method!! There's gotta be a way.

The TMS 5220 is capable of making fair approximations of the phonemes in question. The question is whether it has sufficient means to produce the sound. Remember that the Speak & Spell would say a word like echo as "EH-Oh", despite the chip being quite able to make the sound desired. The chip isn't incapable of making the sound but the chip doesn't program itself. It needs a ROM and some direction. And the lowly Speak & Spell doesn't have the means to provide the speech data needed to make a better "EKoh".

The best you're going to get is basically 8 bit audio quality, but how good that audio quality is will depend on how low of a level you're willing to program the chip, and how much memory you're willing to devote to making it sound the way you want it to sound.

Niether one of my Myarc FDC look like that shell from what i can see in the picture. All my TI FDC do though, even down to the blue connector for the drives.

It was from my perspective a Ti Disk card(maybe 80 track mod?), P-Code card, RS232 card, Flex interface card, and 2( probably DSDD TEAC drives from a Kaypro II).

the photos from that peb look funny, handling the peb like a tower.

Yes, I prefer that too, is much better.

I prefer the PEB in a tower configuration myself. I originally did it because of a lack of space, but it grows on one rather quickly. There is also a big plus, you can read the HxC's display in the proper orientation.

post-35324-0-58725300-1465401760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1