IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

i noticed an original RAVE99 keyboard adapter on ebay

HERE

This innovative yet ancient keyboard solution has me wondering... Do we have better solutions out there? This looks funny to me - awkward. I can't imagine this solution really saving me any desk space. I'd like to see some photos from the experts whom use the RAVE99 keyboard adapter on their own systems.

Seems really expensive for something untested. What's the consensus from the TI peanut gallery?

This innovative yet ancient keyboard solution has me wondering... Do we have better solutions out there? This looks funny to me - awkward. I can't imagine this solution really saving me any desk space. I'd like to see some photos from the experts whom use the RAVE99 keyboard adapter on their own systems.

Seems really expensive for something untested. What's the consensus from the TI peanut gallery?

Alot of users love the Rave keyboard. It was great in it's time. i really like the original XT type keyboards that connected to the Rave99 adapter.

There are a couple of newer keyboard projects. One that I can speak to as I have 2 of them installed and really like them. Is the new USB keyboard adapter that used open source hardware modules.

This was created by JediMatt.

Read more HERE

There is also a PS2 one developed by Tursi. You can read the writeup done by Omega HERE

Edited by Shift838

I don't have any photos, but when I was a kid, with the rave99 XT keyboard, I was able to put the keyboard on a desk with a keyboard tray that slid in underneath. Then on the desk surface was the TV. And the rest of my desk was free for graph paper drawings, calculations, and books.

The PEB had the console stacked on top both on a shelf next to the desk on the right.

All of this in the closet. I could watch TV by just opening the closet door, or pull up a chair and slide out the keyboard and enjoy some TI fun.

Today with the usb keyboard adapter, my console is back left corner of my desk, to keep the cartridge port handy. The keyboard is shared with usb switch boxes between 5, soon 6 computers all at one desk.

-M@

• Like 2

Alot of users love the Rave keyboard. It was great in it's time. i really like the original XT type keyboards that connected to the Rave99 adapter.

There are a couple of newer keyboard projects. One that I can speak to as I have 2 of them installed and really like them. Is the new USB keyboard adapter that used open source hardware modules.

This was created by JediMatt.

Read more HERE

There is also a PS2 one developed by Tursi. You can read the writeup done by Omega HERE

In the interest of fair coverage, note that Omega's adapter is not using the PCB I released, and that my PS/2 adapter is also 100% open. ;) It requires three components, an AVR, a clock, and a capacitor. You'll find all my parts and docs here: http://www.harmlesslion.com/software/keyboard

I was asked to put together a kit and I've been collecting the parts to release 30 of them (NOT taking a list at this time). I hope to do a small update to add a USB serial input, too, so you can "paste" text into your real TI keyboard. ;) That's probably a couple months out yet.

• Like 1

In the interest of fair coverage, note that Omega's adapter is not using the PCB I released, and that my PS/2 adapter is also 100% open. ;) It requires three components, an AVR, a clock, and a capacitor. You'll find all my parts and docs here: http://www.harmlesslion.com/software/keyboard

I was asked to put together a kit and I've been collecting the parts to release 30 of them (NOT taking a list at this time). I hope to do a small update to add a USB serial input, too, so you can "paste" text into your real TI keyboard. ;) That's probably a couple months out yet.

Wow, shipping to Toronto is only $87 US! (although if it gets inspected, and has duty and taxes applied at the border, that price is gonna more than double (the used software is exempt - thank you Ronald Regan and Brian Mulroney - but the hardware sure isn't).

And a package that size and weight crossing the border IS going to be inspected.

What I find weird with shipping (and I'm becoming a real pro, after more than 2 years of near-weekly shipments of TI-stuff) is that it is far less expensive to have small packages shipped into Canada from France, Germany or the UK, than from nearly anywhere in the US (excluding Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania where it's often cheaper than local domestic!*). What I'll never understand is how F-A-S-T shipping from Germany is! Frankfurt to Toronto rarely more than a week (often less) including clearing customs. Gotta love Deutsche Post and DHL!!!

*(Actually those 3 states are always cheaper than local domestic...local domestic is ridiculous. And shipping FROM Canada into the US is easily double the cost of going in the opposite direction!)

Edited by PeBo