IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Are people really paying $200-$300 plus shipping for PEB's? I have an extra I haven't sold because I wasn't sure if the floppy drive in mine worked plus I was thinking about keeping the RS232 card so I could mod one and keep one stock but maybe I just need to go ahead and sell it. I don't need two PEB's.

Are people really paying $200-$300 plus shipping for PEB's? I have an extra I haven't sold because I wasn't sure if the floppy drive in mine worked plus I was thinking about keeping the RS232 card so I could mod one and keep one stock but maybe I just need to go ahead and sell it. I don't need two PEB's.

Generally not unless they are full, interface card, rs232, 32k memory, disk controller card and drive. Just TI cards not 3rd party, that's when the prices go up.

Generally not unless they are full, interface card, rs232, 32k memory, disk controller card and drive. Just TI cards not 3rd party, that's when the prices go up.

Well unless I decide to keep a card for a spare, mine would have the full compliment of TI cards and a floppy.

I want one. I can pay 20 percent of the asking price with shipping. See how stuck I am. Actually, with all the alternative hacks out there, I will only end up needing a disk drive (virtual or other) if I want to give up developing in emulation. Sure is a pretty box though. Has me wanting to hit all the thrift stores.

[...] I will only end up needing a disk drive (virtual or other) if I want to give up developing in emulation. Sure is a pretty box though. Has me wanting to hit all the thrift stores.

Not a day goes by where I am not thankful that I found a "fully" equipped (RS232, 32K, TI controller, 2 half-height DSSD drives) PEB locally (no shipping/duty/taxes), and that I got back into my TI hobby when nanoPEBs were still available periodically, usually several at a time.

But even with the PEB or the CF7 active, when I decided to write a little XBasic MSX game loader a couple moths ago, I still coded it using emulation. I wrote it in TextPad (essential Windows based editor), tested it with classic 99 (Tursi, I love you so much more than I love my wife). I tried to do it all on-console, but being restricted to 40 columns (hell even 80 is restrictive) and using a stock TI keyboard made me realize that there are some levels of authenticity I am very happy to give up to avail myself of modern displays/editors/keyboards, even if the final destination is real hardware. (and I really don't want to add a rave99 or other alternative keyboard to my consoles)

I wish you good fortune in your hunt for a suitable (and affordable!!!) expansion option, I wouldn't trade places with you for anything (I remember the frustration of my re-entry into this madness far too clearly still.) But some things that you think will change, might not.

...and it is SUCH a pretty box!

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 2

In truth, I want the most efficient path from emulation to hardware. I don't really need to develop on the hardware as long as I can get a program from my PC to the TI with as few limitations as possible then I'll be OK I think. Ya never know, I might stat hitting thrift shops and come across one. *shrugs* but for now the 32k internal mod and flashrom should provide everything I need at the moment.

Assuming I can get a good development workflow from XB emulation to hardware FR99 execution, I'll be golden for a while. Hopefully long enough to learn TI A/E. So I have a question about limitations.

I couldn't just get a FR99 and develop XB stuff, recompile and get working on hardware because I need 32k (which is why that's my next step). Am I going to run in to similar issues with A/E programs?

... So I have a question about limitations: I couldn't just get a FR99 and develop XB stuff, recompile and get working on hardware because I need 32k (which is why that's my next step). Am I going to run in to similar issues with A/E programs?

You will, of course, have the same limitation if you write it to run in the expansion RAM.

You can certainly write an E/A program to run in ROM. If you keep it less than 8KiB, you won't have to worry about bank switching. For larger programs, you will need to deal with bank switching. Without expansion RAM, you will only have 256 bytes of scratchpad RAM (>8300 – >83FF) for writing to RAM and some of that you probably should not touch. You will also not be able to use the E/A utilities because they need low expansion RAM. You can, however, easily write your own to run from ROM. There is hope. :)

...lee

• Like 1

Since you don't care about developing on real hardware, and just want to get finished E/A 5 programs, and I'm assuming compiled XB programs to the TI, the FlashROM 99 with a 32K expansion will work.

The only problems I can see you running into with E/A 5 programs is if they require specific I/O with things like storage media, SIO, PIO or other hardware you don't have. For most programs like games you should be golden.

• Like 1

Since you don't care about developing on real hardware, and just want to get finished E/A 5 programs, and I'm assuming compiled XB programs to the TI, the FlashROM 99 with a 32K expansion will work.

The only problems I can see you running into with E/A 5 programs is if they require specific I/O with things like storage media, SIO, PIO or other hardware you don't have. For most programs like games you should be golden.

He will, in fact, have the same limitations if he wishes to write only E/A5 programs. However, when he learns TMS9900 Assembly Language, he will be able to write programs that run from ROM with the help of a little scratchpad RAM for necessary writes. In that case, he will not need the 32KiB expansion RAM—something not possible with the current tools for going from XB->XB256->E/A5->MC2.0->ROM.

...lee

• Like 1

This is looking great. Thanks everyone once again. I have ordered by 32k chips for the internal mod. I should have them in about a week so possibly next weekend I'll perform the tasks. So I will certainly have at least 32k (something I'm a bit confused about at the moment).

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question but I will anyway.

I've read that if you buy a peb and add the 32k expansion it actually adds to the already existent 16k essentially giving the console a full 48k.
I have not seen the same type of chatter about these other mods. I'm not sure if this 32k internal mod is going to add 32k to my 16k system for the full 48k or if it will bring my system up to 32k total.

I also haven't read the entire pdf more than once yet so it's possible I missed the mention of it.

Here's all I get: "The mod consists of a single 32k x 8 static RAM chip" which leads me to believe it's adding 32k but then at the end he says "Have fun with your 32k console!" which leads me to believe that is the final total.

http://www.harmlesslion.com/text/TI%2032k%20Mod.pdf

Edited by Sinphaltimus

This is looking great. Thanks everyone once again. I have ordered by 32k chips for the internal mod. I should have them in about a week so possibly next weekend I'll perform the tasks. So I will certainly have at least 32k (something I'm a bit confused about at the moment).

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this question but I will anyway.

I've read that if you buy a peb and add the 32k expansion it actually adds to the already existent 16k essentially giving the console a full 48k.

I have not seen the same type of chatter about these other mods. I'm not sure if this 32k internal mod is going to add 32k to my 16k system for the full 48k or if it will bring my system up to 32k total.

I also haven't read the entire pdf more than once yet so it's possible I missed the mention of it.

Here's all I get: "The mod consists of a single 32k x 8 static RAM chip" which leads me to believe it's adding 32k but then at the end he says "Have fun with your 32k console!" which leads me to believe that is the final total.

http://www.harmlesslion.com/text/TI%2032k%20Mod.pdf

The total is 48KiB. The two memories are, however, very different. The 32KiB expansion RAM is directly accessible by the CPU (TMS9900); whereas, the 16KiB VRAM can only be directly accessed by the VDP. The CPU must use memory windows to pass bytes back and forth one at a time. This means, of course, that Assembly Language Code cannot run from VRAM.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart
  • Like 1

The total is 48KiB. The two memories are, however, very different. The 32KiB expansion RAM is directly accessible by the CPU (TMS9900); whereas, the 16KiB VRAM can only be directly accessed by the VDP. The CPU must use memory windows to pass bytes back and forth one at a time. This means, of course, that Assembly Language Code cannot run from VRAM.

...lee

That's freaking awesome (48k). Duly Noted(ALC no VRam). I think I'm going to dive head first in to Assembly within another week or two. I want to verify my XB to FR99 path first after I do the 32k upgrade. Thank you again of course. You are a wellspring of info. I'm grateful for this community only a couple of weeks in.

That's freaking awesome (48k). Duly Noted(ALC no VRam). I think I'm going to dive head first in to Assembly within another week or two. I want to verify my XB to FR99 path first after I do the 32k upgrade. Thank you again of course. You are a wellspring of info. I'm grateful for this community only a couple of weeks in.

Keep in mind that GPL (Graphic Programming Language) can run from VDP RAM unlike assembly which is why you do not need any Memory Expansion to run TI Basic or Extended Basic or most GROM/ROM Cartridges.

I do not get a lot of support by promoting GPL as almost all the people on these forums are Assembly people.

• Like 2

Hi Rich,

I'm not an assembly person, and this old dog does not learn new tricks very well either. However, I've been known to still dabble in Extended BASIC from time to time.. Now I really need to settle on one version, and I have to tell ya RXB would win,. at least with me if you could make one little modification for users of the F18A. When you release your next version, do you think it would be possible to have it default to 80 columns while in program entry / listing mode, but revert to normal when running or executing a program?

I don't have an F19A however I see other benefits to RXB. What are my restrictions? Keep in mind, if you don't already know, my goals are simple. I will develop on the PC and use the flashrom99 to execute my programs which does mean recompiling and getting in to proper non-switched bin cartridge format. Can anyone just run rxb programs even if they don't have rxb? Does it translate to fr99 well? etc...

Although, is there another thread for this, we've kind of gotten away from anything eBay related.

" But you cannot put RXB programs onto the FR99 as-is.

What about not "as-is"? Is the process the same as putting XB programs on FR99? (Save as merged, compile in EA to create E/A5 bin, use ti99dir to add v9t9 headers, use Module creator to make a non-inverted cartridge ready bin for fr99)

What about not "as-is"? Is the process the same as putting XB programs on FR99? (Save as merged, compile in EA to create E/A5 bin, use ti99dir to add v9t9 headers, use Module creator to make a non-inverted cartridge ready bin for fr99)

I am pretty sure there is no way to compile RXB code.

...lee

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

I'm not an assembly person, and this old dog does not learn new tricks very well either. However, I've been known to still dabble in Extended BASIC from time to time.. Now I really need to settle on one version, and I have to tell ya RXB would win,. at least with me if you could make one little modification for users of the F18A. When you release your next version, do you think it would be possible to have it default to 80 columns while in program entry / listing mode, but revert to normal when running or executing a program?

I suppose i could do this if the routine is not very big.

Need to see how to detect the F18 for this to work.

And should be fine if it does not take much space.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure there is no way to compile RXB code.

...lee

It is not like RXB subprograms like my

CALL MOVES(type,number of bytes,from address,to address)

type = "R = RAM, G = GRAM/GROM, V = VDP, $ = string variable"

Examples:

CALL MOVES("RV",256,8192,0) ! this moves 256 bytes of RAM from Lower 8K (8192) to VDP screen address 0

CALL MOVES("$V",96,N$,127) ! this moves 96 bytes from string N$ onto screen address 127

CALL MOVES("V$",32,384,A$) ! this moves 32 bytes from VDP address 384 into string A$

This alone would be very useful in a XB compiler to say the least, other RXB subprograms put into the XB Compiler would be even more useful.

Rich