IGNORED

Best setup for recording emulated Atari?

El Destructo

Trying to record "video" and audio from Atari800MacX on a Mac, but the emulator stutters any time the screen capture software (QuickTime Pro) is running.

I'm so close to success. If only this emulator had a "hog CPU" option! Maybe the Unix "nice" command would help?

If you've successfully recorded Atari 8-bit emulation on a Mac, please share your setup!

I have had problems with Quicktime Player and doing it's partial screen capture and trying to take a video of my iPhone apps, and I've read lots of people complaining about it having choppy and inconsistent results.

Quicktime seems to be a CPU hog. But the good news is the atari has a tiny display. Set Atari800MacX to display the Atari screen at 1x.

Then Quicktime should have an easier time recording. Then - if you ultimately wan't to have a 'larger' video - upscale it afterword. In other words - don't have Atari800MacX do 2x - and then choke Quicktime.

Now i admit, I don't have any experience yet actually trying to record the Atari, but I thought that might help, if you haven't tried it.

p.s. you said "Quicktime Pro" where I"m using the OS built-in Quicktime. If you have an older Mac that doesn't do partial screen capture, but must do the entire screen - then set your entire desktop to a lower resolution. Same idea - less for Quicktime to record.

I used to use the built in video capture system in Atariwin800+ etc but for some reason out of the blue it stopped working except for uncompressed video capture (forget that, 4gb for 8 second videos etc). This is not perfect though, the gun sights in Star Raiders II for example are only recorded on either the left or right hand side using the built in capture.

I have Camtasia on my machine and it works OK most of the time, the issue most people have with camtasia is if your PC vendors audio drivers are crap then you can't record sound with the video.

It's a bit pathetic though when a 2.1Ghz 32bit PC running crappy Windows hasn't got the power to record super smooth caps of Stella in windowed mode lol.