IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

• 1 month later...

Hi!

can this cartridge run commando 64k?

Just tried the dump from atarimania, Commando is a 128k XEGS cart (the 512k megacart version mentioned by MrFish is just a "hack" by Sunmark) and it works fine on a 64k 800XL. Haven't actually tried playing it, but pressing START worked :)

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

Hi!

Just tried the dump from atarimania, Commando is a 128k XEGS cart (the 512k megacart version mentioned by MrFish is just a "hack" by Sunmark) and it works fine on a 64k 800XL. Haven't actually tried playing it, but pressing START worked :)

so long,

Hias

Thanks Hias, :)

Just tried the dump from atarimania, Commando is a 128k XEGS cart (the 512k megacart version mentioned by MrFish is just a "hack" by Sunmark)...

Thanks for the information. I never knew there were other version of the Commando cartridge. It always seemed strange to me that it would need 512KB. Now it makes more sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

the pcb's have arrived!

I have to solder 5 devices on the pcb's and have to make the cases on the cnc-mill.

then test the cart... that take time for the full 128MB... :-)

Soon the finished Carts will be shipped to you!

Download ASPEQT for high-speed SIO-Transfer with 8192K sectors

and DL THE!CART-Studio for making your own compilation!

regards,

Wolfram

Edited by mega-hz
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear! One thing I didn't find a reference to (so I probably know the answer) - Does this happen to provide a facility for stacking cartridge images? For the obvious scenarios where I want to use SDX as DOS and then run another cartridge on top of that.

Either way, I'm looking forward to to receiving the finished product.

Thanks

Hi!

One thing I didn't find a reference to (so I probably know the answer) - Does this happen to provide a facility for stacking cartridge images? For the obvious scenarios where I want to use SDX as DOS and then run another cartridge on top of that.

You mean emulating both SDX plus another cart stacked onto it? No, it doesn't support it.

I had such a feature running in the very first version (where I used the TurboFreezer 2011 cartemu logic for a quick test), but removed it because it used quite a lot of resources in the PLD which could be better used for emulating more cartridge types.

I also think that nowadays, where every new upgrade seems to include SDX as well, such a feature isn't as important as it might have been some years ago. Actually, when looking at the Ultimate1MB+SIDE postings, having more than one SDX seems to be causing a lot of trouble for users :)

so long,

Hias

I also think that nowadays, where every new upgrade seems to include SDX as well, such a feature isn't as important as it might have been some years ago. Actually, when looking at the Ultimate1MB+SIDE postings, having more than one SDX seems to be causing a lot of trouble for users :)

Strangely enough, I haven't yet done any machine upgrades that include SDX - though I do have an Incognito to install one of these days (so that's one I guess). Perhaps I'm in the minority on this, but I tend to actually prefer disk-based booting with SDX being something I use from cart when I need it for something specific - and this new cart is something I'll use in every machine I have, anywhere from stock to heavily modified. I understand the trade-offs though, and I definitely like the fact that lots of cart types will be emulated.

Thanks

Edited by Slor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

1) What banks should we stay away from so we don't clobber MyPicoDos and the flasher?

If you only use the Studio software you don't have to care about this.

However, if you use the "program from raw file" options in the flasher there are several things to keep in mind:

The menu, flasher and mypicodos are stored in the first 16 banks.

The next 16 banks (16-31) are reserved for checksum data (needed by the flasher to do incremental Cart Studio updates).

If you plan to use both the cart studio and manual flashing from the Atari, it's best to reserve some user space at the end of the

cartridge space in the workbook options and only use this reserved user space for manual flashing. Doing it this way guarantees that incremental updates and manual flashing don't interfere.

When you start the flasher and have programmed some studio data in your cart it outputs the number of currently used banks. The output looks something like this:

Detected The!Cart 128MB
<title defined in workbook>
1248 banks used
Stay away from manually reprogramming these used banks or you are in trouble :) Incremental updates will get out of sync (the incremental updater relies on the checksums, which aren't changed by manual updates) and you have to do a full update of your cart.

BTW: there seems to be a bug in the latest Studio version if you select "extended menu". The number of used banks isn't reported correctly and always shows 16384, so better use the "simple menu" option - this one seems to work fine.

If you (accidentally) erased the whole cart or reprogrammed the first 16 banks with the menu/flasher, just boot "thecart.atr", start the flasher (flash.com) and program the "cartmenu.rom" starting at bank 0 and you are fine again.

2) What is the function of the push switch?

It resets the cart, i.e. re-activates the simple menu. Press this button, then reset on your Atari and you are back at the menu. This has the same result as powercycling the Atari.

3) Is there an internal menu to select the stored cartridge images?

Not yet, JAC still has to write it. Currently there's only the "simple menu" with the manual/mode selection.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1