IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

The production of the new pcb s is only waiting of an ok, but i have real problems to find a case wich has the size of an original atari cart.

I guess i have to start a try making it myself with my cnc-mill...

i had another idea, but maybe not useful for some people:

The THE!CART pcb goes INTO the ATARI wich needs some soldering to switch between the cart-port and THE!CART...

Only a idea.

Ofcourse i like a case much more as you too.

Wolfram

• Like 2

Would it fit in a standard Atari cartridge ? ID be willing to forsake a very common cartridge for it, in fact I have one or two dead cartridges. I'm talking about the original brown style housings, not the XE.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Would it fit in a standard Atari cartridge ? ID be willing to forsake a very common cartridge for it, in fact I have one or two dead cartridges. I'm talking about the original brown style housings, not the XE.

Looking at the picture in post #378 it won't, the layout doesn't have an open spot to allow the hole for the post.

The good news is that the same post mentions a 3D printer case design, with a picture of the first prototype.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3101127

If this idea could be made to work, it wouldn't be a bad one. Either ship your own doner cart to Wolfram on order or, better yet, have uncased guts shipped with instructions of what is needed to make it fit and DIY your own case. IF it would work that way, that is.

Looking at the picture in post #378 it won't, the layout doesn't have an open spot to allow the hole for the post.

The good news is that the same post mentions a 3D printer case design, with a picture of the first prototype.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/page-16?do=findComment&comment=3101127

Sometimes I an completely dumb in these matters but couldn't I simply drill my own hole?

Looks like some copper tracks are in that area.....might require a redesign of the PCB......if at all possible, we only see one side of it...but yes I did have a quick look to see if it would be possible too so not too dumb ;);)

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Mmm, I guess this cart is a pretty big competition for Steve's products...,

It is, that's why I can imagine Steve would be very interested in a cooperation. His quality is one of the best in the entire a8 scene. I think it would be amazing if he could create the entire The!Cart under some kind of license. He would earn some money then yes, but so will the people who invented The!Cart.

IIRC AtariMax MyIDE and MyIDE ][ do also work with this construction.

But it's only a suggestion.

With The!Cart available the 8Mbit and 1Mbit carts became less appealing, although I still see use for those.

I find the combination USB Programmer and one of the AtariMax flash cards (including MyIDE and MyIDE ][) a very powerful combination.

I wished there was an USB programmer for The!Cart.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a The!Cart several months ago but I'm just finally getting around to playing with it. I bought it so I could have all my cartridge games on one cart, but I see that it also has support for ATR disk images. What are the limitations with this? Would something like Jumpman work for example?