IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

I'm not aware of any. The!Cart is full invisible to the Atari once the configuration lock is set and it behaves 100% like the real HW. If there are ROM that do not work, that's due to the ROM's dependency to the OS version (like OS-B) or the fact that it assumes certain power-up RAM content. Both these things are adressed by me once somebody brings up the issue. See above :-)

The!Cart is one of those add-ons for your Atari you absolutely want in your collection. I find it very user friendly in use (even my 6 year old daughter is 100% capable of using it) and it is incredible how compatible it is.

The only downside (except for some wishes about the housing of the cart) is that carts with a save-feature (for Hi-Scores) are not supported... well the game of these carts do run perfectly, but the saving feature doesn't.

I still hope there will be a solution for that one day. Saving Hi-Score in Pac-Man Arcade and Space Harrier would be very nice.

But hey... even without that, I think The!Cart is the #1 choice for gamers.

• Like 1

Hi, some news of the THE!CART 2 :

Changes are in size of the pcb and a new designed case for fitting in all Ataris!

Problems were finding someone who can make suitable plastic-cases,

so i have decided to program my cnc to make the cases myself.

The size of the case will be the same as the old brown Atari Carts, so they should fit into 400/800/1200XL

without problems.

electrical and functional the pcb is the same, but i could make it smaller.

Because of "no working" of the german post / dhl i am waiting for the prototype pcbs since >4weeks :-(

If someone really "can't wait" i still have two 64MB THE!CARTs and two 32MB THE!CARTs to offer!

regards,

Wolfram

Edited by mega-hz
  • Like 8

Can't wait to order new The!Carts with the better shell. I'm extremely satisfied by all the features of this amazing cart.

I wish there was some teamwork with Steven Tucker. How great would it be if his USB Programming device would support The!Cart...

How hard would it be to create an adapter for an eprom burner to be able to (partly) re-flash The!cart using that?

• Like 2

I stiil have two 32MB Carts, if someone want one...

And still no prototype pcb's arrived :?

Well i think tey may come this week...

The first cnc-milling of the new cart-cases is done (on one side), can't turn it around until the protype-pcb is here...

The milling took 6.5 hours for 16 peaces.

I will have to optimize this huge g-code programm...

regards,

Wolfram

Quick question, is there a way to move down entire pages on the main menu instead of having to scroll down one entry at a time? On the AtariMax flash carts this is accomplished by pressing left or right, but that selects genres on The!Cart.

I stiil have two 32MB Carts, if someone want one...

And still no prototype pcb's arrived :?

Well i think tey may come this week...

The first cnc-milling of the new cart-cases is done (on one side), can't turn it around until the protype-pcb is here...

The milling took 6.5 hours for 16 peaces.

I will have to optimize this huge g-code programm...

regards,

Wolfram

PM sent.

Quick question, is there a way to move down entire pages on the main menu instead of having to scroll down one entry at a time? On the AtariMax flash carts this is accomplished by pressing left or right, but that selects genres on The!Cart.

The automatic acceleration when scrolling up & down should substitute the page up/down. With up to 16k entries paging hardly made sense to me as it's either too fast or too slow. And I also didn't add a keyboard shortcut,because once you put the joystick aways and use the keyboard, typing the name inthe search field is much faster than any scrolling or paging.

Note: I found there's still a bug in search when using multiple words. It's not fogotten - just too much real life currently.

• Like 1

Just came back from holiday and one of the great things of returning is finding nice packages in the mail....like an original copy (on tape) of Dropzone and.......The!Cart !!!!

Dropped it into the 600XL (totally stock with 1064) and bam working ! It was nicely "personalized" on the title by Wolfram and well what is there to say....it works EXACTLY like I always wanted a cart like this to work....easily scroll through the titles but much more important....just start typing and the searching starts right away.....LOVE that.

Now I need that workbook that "someone" created..... ;)

So I just recently picked up a 130XE to replace my failing 800XL and was debating on getting an XF551 but this may be the better route, especially for the price, yes? :D

Well, it depends... Almost every retro Atari fan should probably have a multicart so they can use their no-doubt copious cartridge image collection. 'The!Cart' seems to be just about the best there is, certainly the one with the best storage/cost ratio I have found. However I would say you should probably still get an SIO device of some kind, even if it is just a USB lead to connect to your PC via 'SIO2PC-USB' or the 'SIDELoader' feature of the 'SIDE2' - although in the latter case you would also need an 'Ultimate1MB" to boot floppy images directly..

If I could afford it then I would still just about buy an XF551. However I am personally almost at the point where I prefer emulator devices like 'SIO2SD' and perhaps better still 'SIO2USB' from ABBUC. Getting physical drives to work reliably can be an ongoing exercise in equal parts tediosity and frustration. If you are buying from the... eccentric, lets say... chap at 'Best Electronics' in America then you probably don't need to worry about that as I beleive his remaining stock are all factory refurbished. You also don't need to worry about the $250 dollars they cost each!

You actually NEED a Sio2USB or similar device to get something onto The!Cart.

That may be it's only flaw....but I don't see it as a big problem.

You can also use Sio2SD devices.

Yeah - it would be not only extremely cool, but logical too if you could just plug it in to your PC for flashing via USB.

Ugh.... I just created a workbook and tried to flash it to the cartridge.

Didn't know how to do an incremental upload so I selected option 3. During the process my stupid work laptop (PC) shut down because of energy settings (yes it was on mains power but it was still set up to shut down.)

After changing that I repeated the process starting from a couple of blocks before where it shut down, hoping to still get a working situation....but alas....all I get when booting the cartridge now is a black screen.....

Now what ?