IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

As part of the test in the real hardware, I took some picture for comparisons. The V2 PCB on the left is smaller than the V1 PCB and so is the shell. The V2 PCB also comes with fully gold plated contacts. The red push button you see on the first two picture is the one you are going to have. I had soldered in a different one, but it turned out to be too long. So we decided to keep the red one and hope the "push experience" is as you expect. Updated 3D models are uploaded on the web site.

thecart-shell-v2-comparison-01.jpgthecart-shell-v2-comparison-02.jpg

The!Cart V2 fits into an Atari 400 and Atari 800 completely, so the lid can be closed. In the pictures below you can see the V2 shell on the left, the V1 shell on the right.

thecart-shell-v2-atari400.jpg

thecart-shell-v2-atari800-01.jpgthecart-shell-v2-atari800-02.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The first batch of 25+ shells will be on the way to mega_hz on Monday and he'll assemble send'em out then.

Please note that the 3D model on the site is not up to date. My PC with all Atari stuff crashed completely (again) and is in repair...

post-17404-0-57103700-1518972640_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Man, this project is driving me nuts...
We found during the final mass test that some V2 PCBs do not work 100% in Atari 400s (but in all other Ataris) even though they are functionally identical to the V1.
Wolfram and tf_hh will perform measurements this weekend to see if there are any timing differences that would explain this.
I am sorry this all takes quite long, but we want to make sure as good as possible everything works before sending it to the other end of the world.

Update: At least I managed to recover and upload the last/final version of the 3D models for those who'd like to print the shell themselves. Please use the stable link on the left in this page.
http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

Regards, Peter

• Like 12

I've looked at some info and more. Is my conclusion correct that (1) The Cart does not work folders and subfolders, and (2) files have to be dragged&dropped one-by-one and multiple droppings are not possible and (3) I must use the Studio since filling the SD-card myself is not an option?

I checked his out on a Mac. Or am I overlooking something.

I've looked at some info and more. Is my conclusion correct that (1) The Cart does not work folders and subfolders, and (2) files have to be dragged&dropped one-by-one and multiple droppings are not possible and (3) I must use the Studio since filling the SD-card myself is not an option?

I checked his out on a Mac. Or am I overlooking something.

There are no folders on The!Cart - it works like Google and there are no folders either :-).

There also is no SD card in The!Cart but 128 MB Flash directly accessible as ROM for the Atari (hence the speed of the menu & loading).

Yes you have to use The!Cart Studio. You can drop multiple files, but not folders. Just search for them in the Explorer, Select All files from the result (CTRL-A), Drag & Drop.

As usual there could be something specific on Mac.

post-17404-0-29537600-1519431360_thumb.png

post-17404-0-65763700-1519431367_thumb.png

post-17404-0-96876000-1519431375_thumb.png

post-17404-0-05863400-1519431385_thumb.png

• Like 1

(...)

The only downside (except for some wishes about the housing of the cart) is that carts with a save-feature (for Hi-Scores) are not supported... well the game of these carts do run perfectly, but the saving feature doesn't.

I still hope there will be a solution for that one day. Saving Hi-Score in Pac-Man Arcade and Space Harrier would be very nice.

(...)

I agree!

That would be nice. I play Space Harrier from an Atarimax 8Mb flash. But would Space Harrier save High scores or highest start-able level if it could? There was never any official cartridge-with-save, release of SH was there? Wasn't it always either ram or rom files for download?

I bought a limited edition version of Space Harrier from Paul Westphal of Eight Bit Fix, with a clam-shell case and printed insert, and labeled cartridge, but it is just an Atarimax flash cartridge which doesn't seem to save anything.

Edited by Gunstar

That would be nice. I play Space Harrier from an Atarimax 8Mb flash. But would Space Harrier save High scores or highest start-able level if it could? There was never any official cartridge-with-save, release of SH was there? Wasn't it always either ram or rom files for download?

I bought a limited edition version of Space Harrier from Paul Westphal of Eight Bit Fix, with a clam-shell case and printed insert, and labeled cartridge, but it is just an Atarimax flash cartridge which doesn't seem to save anything.

I put Space Harrier in a 8Mbit AtariMax cart. It saves high scores (higher than 1 million).

• Like 1

The only downside (except for some wishes about the housing of the cart) is that carts with a save-feature (for Hi-Scores) are not supported...

If the original cards use flash only, it should be possible. But since the flash chip is different and every chip has a different layout/block size dedicated code is needed. Patching on the fly is possible with The!Cart Studio, but some would need to create the patch for the flash routine.

It works on a Mac but the fact that files have to be dropped one-by-one makes it a very tedious job. Also nog having (sub)folders means you are forced to select by search meaning you need to know part of the name.

I don't understand why it would be one-by-one if you select all in the finder. And knowing part of the name is easy, because they are either .rom.car or .atr. I'll check on my Mac the next day. Maybe I misunderstand your problem...