THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found a computer generated label here a atari age and changed it

Here is a BETA pic with label printed from my laser on paper only

thecart_label.jpg

thecartboth.jpg

I finally got around to installing my THE!CART in an original Atari cartridge myself, last night. My 3D printed cart case that came with THE!CART had a lot of flaws and blemishes on it to start with, to be honest, it looked like crap and not as nice as the ones pictured in this thread, and even with my modified 1200XL cartridge port that now easily accepts every A8 cart I've tested, like Roklin carts, OSS, Dropcheck's SSDX cart, etc. it was a forced fit still with THE!CART's 3D printed case.

So at first I decided I would fix the faults and blemishes with a combination of sanding and filler, and then paint it. Well, I found out that 3D printed plastics don't take too kindly to sanding, and parts of plastic layers started flaking off, basically ruining the whole case to the point that it would be harder to repair than to just transplant the PCB into an Atari cartridge like Commander.

Using Commander's blog as a starting point, I went a different direction, deciding NOT to fiddle with THE!CART's reset button, and I also wanted to keep the Atari cartridge door intact. So instead I opted for using my dremel to sand down the top edge of THE!CART PCB just enough so that the metal case back and the door could remain, and then I drilled a whole through the top of the metal case for the reset button.

The PCB is hot-glued to the plastic case, and the metal case backing is super-glued to the case.

All other steps taken are like Commander's except I also cut the Atari cartridge screw and post differently using a bit underneath for support (which also allowed the spring for the cart door to remain intact), instead of adding posts like Commander, and then re-used the top portion of the post I cut off and a cut screw to put the screw back in place so it looks normal there.

Now I just need to get more printer ink so I can print a new label!

Actually my first two experiences with 3D printed cases (THE!CART and Remowilliam's SDrive Max case) have turned me off to buying a 3D printer until the technology improves more (at least for home versions I can afford). I can do a much better job myself still by crafting my own cases by hand or modifying re-used cases from other things than whatever 3D printers were used for these two cases. Two examples of this are pictured here; my modified Atari cartridge for THE!CART, and the case I made for Dropcheck's re-imaged Ralf David XL/XE eprom burner. I'm much happier with my own hand-crafted results.

post-149-0-83196200-1538495540_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-88091300-1538495556_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-85064400-1538495568_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-95837600-1538495790_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Hi Gunstar,

Any chance of some more photos of the Sys-Check 2.2 case made from cassettes? I've found 3D printing to be a bit hit and miss, and was wondering about a case for the Sys-Check, but I'm curious to see how you have made yours.

• Like 1

Sure, I'll take some pics later tonight. Of course the way I made my Syscheck case wouldn't work for an XE, I covered up the ECI card edge and the pass-through cartridge connector for XE computers. There is only access to DIP switches. Also, when I did my my 1200XL PBI upgrade I added the 600XL's +5v PBI lines not on an 800XL, so I desoldered the wire for connection to a joystick port. It wouldn't reach to where my 1200XL joystick ports are located anyway without extending it. So you'd have to drill a hole for the +5V wire if you have an 800XL.

I'm sure not all 3D printers are created equal, and you get what you pay for, yada yada yada...but if I were to make a parallel between 3D printing (from what ever brand/quality was used to make the two 3D cases I've experienced) and injection molding, or even rosin molds, it would be comparing a 9-pin dot matrix printer to a top of the line laser printer. I do have a 3D printed lever mechanism replacement in my CA-2001 disk drive, and it works well and seems solid and sturdy, but it still has the visible uneven print layer look to it. But I haven't tried to sand it smooth either...

But like I said, the cases for THE!CART that have been pictured in this thread, look much better than the case I received. Like the one pictured above in Commander's post I quoted, looks nice and smooth with no unsightly gaps, holes and terrible diagonal cross lines that my THE!CART case and SDrive Max cases have. Maybe they all look worse in real life than in the pictures though. The 3D printed cases I got ARE better than nothing, but I can personally craft by hand better than better than nothing myself, for far less cost. I bet I made my cases faster than the 3D printers printed my 3D cases too! And my own modified and handcrafted works I'd say are parallel to a $50 HP Inkjet printer if "injected" into the above parallel.

Edited by Gunstar

Hi Gunstar,

Ah, I use my Sys-Check with both XLs and XEs, but I am wondering about using an extender ribbon for one of the connectors. I really like the Sys-Check, but I also don't like having bare PCBs around. Perhaps I should make 2 different cases, and switch between them.

I generally find that the 3D printing can get you close to what you want, but there is also a certain amount of filing, smoothing, etc., and also the PLA I print with tends to react badly to a Dremel. I have printed out a case for an Sdrive Max, but I still have to do a little bit more work on it to get the pieces to fit together.

I also want to build some cases for some 1050 boards and mechanisms, but I think I will have to use another material such as perspex or wood, I don't think I would get anywhere with 3D printing for those.

The most successful 3D prints I have made have been the Molex SIO connectors from thingiverse, though they also need a bit of fine tuning to get the pieces to fit together.

• Like 1

Hi Gunstar,

Ah, I use my Sys-Check with both XLs and XEs, but I am wondering about using an extender ribbon for one of the connectors. I really like the Sys-Check, but I also don't like having bare PCBs around. Perhaps I should make 2 different cases, and switch between them.

I generally find that the 3D printing can get you close to what you want, but there is also a certain amount of filing, smoothing, etc., and also the PLA I print with tends to react badly to a Dremel. I have printed out a case for an Sdrive Max, but I still have to do a little bit more work on it to get the pieces to fit together.

I also want to build some cases for some 1050 boards and mechanisms, but I think I will have to use another material such as perspex or wood, I don't think I would get anywhere with 3D printing for those.

The most successful 3D prints I have made have been the Molex SIO connectors from thingiverse, though they also need a bit of fine tuning to get the pieces to fit together.

Yeah, I hate bare boards too, especially ones sticking up in front of you. Making the case for it helped, but I still don't care for it sticking up like that, looking like an old ZX81 with a 16K ram pack sticking up! I will probably end up make a ribbon cable for it too, since it's easier than removing the PBI connector and re-installing a right-angle one like the new Syscheck 2.2's he's making. I'll still keep the case though.

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

we have had some serious trouble with the shipment recently. One to South America took almost 7 weeks. And for two going to North America only the envelopes have arrived - torn and without content. We hope the remaining ones in transit arrive as intended. Looking back we probably were simply blessed with tons of luck that this didn't happen a single time in the past years.

Nevertheless, this is one more learning from this project (I hope they end at some point...). We have investigated the options to get better here. Therefore, from now on we will only do insured shipping with tracking. Originally this would have cost 18 EUR, which was the reason not to use/offer it. With the help of tf_hh and biobern we have now identified a less expensive variant. It is called "Maxi Letter International Enroll(ed)". It costs additional 2 EUR for the tracking per shipment plus 2 EUR per cart to fully cover the price with the insurance. And you can probably have up to 8 carts in one shipment :-)

With this both we and the recipients should be on the safe side.

Regards, Peter & Wolfram

• Like 5

I have a question:

- does downloading the latest version of The!Cart studio overwrite the older folder ?

- if so....did I just delete my current workbook this way ?

- if so... can I get the workbook I have now on my The!cart back on my Mac ?

-if so ....how do I do this ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question:

- does downloading the latest version of The!Cart studio overwrite the older folder ?

- if so....did I just delete my current workbook this way ?

- if so... can I get the workbook I have now on my The!cart back on my Mac ?

-if so ....how do I do this ?

Q: does downloading the latest version of The!Cart studio overwrite the older folder ?

A: No. The About dialog only informs you which version is available and if it is newer. Then it simply displays a link "The newer version {0}<br/>is available on <a href="http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/thecartstudio">http://www.wudsn.com</a>."and the rest is up to you and your browser.

Q: if so....did I just delete my current workbook this way ?

A: Not by the studio itself. Maybe you have deleted/move the orignal folder somewhere. If I take myself as an example, I probably had intentionally moved it via drag & drop or something elsewhere. If it is a Mac, you may have that nice timetravel/backup feature to recover it.

• Like 1

Good News

Last week the annual assembly of the A.B.B.U.C. took place where I talked shortly about The!Cart. Wolfgang Burger, the head of the club approached me and offered that the club will fund the next production batch of 20 pieces upfront. This means we will order now and will then have The!Cart available "on stock" and people who have already paid don't have to way until the batch is full. The "excess" pieces will be available in the ABBUC member shop.

Thanks Wolfgang!

• Like 8

The!Cart in different flavours. Thanks to Mr Robot for the great Label Design

They look really good, well done!

Here's the link to the thread where I uploaded those

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/189247-8-bit-cartridge-label-project/page-2

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FYI: The 20 PCBs have arrived at Wolfram's place and are being tested and flashed. The printing of the corresponding shells has also been completed today. They are now on their way to Wolfram's place as well.

post-17404-0-02207600-1543073822_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

The remaining cartridges are available now in the ABBUC shop.
For legal reasons the shop is limited to ABBUC members, but you will find one easily for sure.
We have over 400 of them strategically positioned all around the globe :-)

http://www.abbuc.de/mitgliedschaft/shop/hardware/the

post-17404-0-16332700-1547399501_thumb.png

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Minor Update: The!Cart Studio now has is own proper 48x48 application icon. Thanks to Mr. Fish for pushing the pixels in the right position.
It should work on Windows, Mac OS and in the Java version.

Also the next batch iof The!Cart s one it's way to Europe.

post-17404-0-03712500-1551544516.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...