IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

Hi,

""The!Cart Studio" contains a database of popular ROMs and will assign the correct title automatically based on size and the CRC32 checksum of the file. If no matching entry is found in the data, the title of the entry is defaulted from the file name by removing the file extension."

Is there any way to disable this database feature?

I would like to use my file names as the titles. I know I can manually change them, but it would be very time consuming.

I have named all my ROMs with dates and manufacturers such as;

Astro Chase (1982)(Parker Brothers)(Osb).bin

Astro Chase (1982)(First Star)(XL Only).bin

The!Cart Studio automatically renames both files to only "Astro Chase"

If I can use my file names without the extensions, JACS! search feature really shines!!

Thanks,

Doug

• Like 1

There is no standard way of disabling the cardridge DB and I consider it a rather exotic case. But you can just open the TheCartStudio.jar with your favourite archiving tool and remove all lines (except the header line) from the "CartridgeDatabase.csv" file therein. That should work.

post-17404-0-79823000-1444567616_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi JAC!

I put the file in your attachment in the "TheCartStudio.jar" file, but when I did, the "The!Cart Studio" would not initialize.

If I put the old file back in, it would initialize.

Hey don't worry about it, the work around you gave me works.

Thanks again for making this cartridge ROCK!!!

• 1 month later...

JAC!,

I have a request if you find some extra time after the Holidays. ;)

Would it be possible to add support for the Kheffington 16mb Hard Drive Images.

They use the "MyPicoDos" long filename structure.

They are ATR’s using the DIR2ATR program from Hiassoft’s site. Link to software.

Your "The!Cart" support of Homesoft, Maxflash Studio, and MegaCart Studio are awsome.

Thank You JAC!,

Doug

Hi,

Looks like these are just plain XEXs. Hence the better solution is to extract them to a single folder and add them directly - once XEX support is there (sigh... time flies...). The hierarchical directory traversal used on the disks to not break then 64 entries limit and not worth additional extra effort.

Cheers, Peter.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wolframs site appears to have some messed up linkage... If a person wants to alternatively contact him, please do so... Let him know he might not be getting his email and the site has some problems... Atari Age shows him as active within the past week so he must be okay.... Send him a PM or Mail him at his website

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The original The!Cart was delivered with a rather cheap shell in order to keep the overall price low. Sven Pink from the A.B.B.U.C. created a first version of a 3D printable shell back in 2015, but it was never officially released to the public. Only one protype was printed back then, which I own.

thecart-shell-02.jpg

Sven is lacking the time to and I am lacking the skills and equipment to continue the design. So I decided to release the files in the their current state. You can download the OpenSCAD (".scad") and stereo lithography (".stl") files for printing your own shell for the first version of "The!Card" now.

thecart-shell-04.png

The files are available for download here on the new The!Cart page on my website which I created to keep this separate from The!Cart Studio itself.

If you manage to get usable results and maybe create improved versions of the model, I'd be happy to add pictures of your shells on that page and update the download accordingly.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I am a very happy with the!cart owner but:

While it is working perfect with my Atari 800 XL PAL and Atari 400 NTSC 48K, it does NOT work with my Atari 800 NTSC 48K. It just crashes with random screen content. Does somebody know the reason? Who has tested it with an Atari 800 PAL or NTSC? Maybe it has something to do with the second cartridge slot? (Naturally, you have to simulate a closed cartridge door with a needle or something on Atari 400 and 800, cause the circuit board is too long.)

Mega-Hz: Would you please make the 2nd run of the!card work with the Atari 800? I'll check out a prototype together with JAC! if you want.

I am just printing two shells for the!cart (1st version). The .scad- and .stl-files published by JAC! some days ago contain some bugs. I will give him the corrected files in the next days so he can publish them on his website.

regards,

Bern

• Like 2

Berhard did a great job and here's the result. You can see how the quality is getting better with every print. Left is the 1st round right is the 4th round. have no clue about this but it looks like 3D printing is a real handcraft that you learn. There'll be a separate poll to see if/how many people would be interested. Berhard has no much "production capacity" of course. I also contacted des-or-mad to see if he has ideas for getting a label on it.

post-17404-0-58759900-1468658230_thumb.jpg

post-17404-0-12951700-1468658224_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You need to make a small mod to the Atari 800 so that The!Cart, MyIDE II etc will work. The Atari 800 has the /RAS signal on the cart pin where XL/XE have PHI2. Change that to PHI2 and The!Cart should work fine (I tested that myself some time ago).

Just search this forum for details, it has been explained a few times.

so long,

Hias

• Like 6

You need to make a small mod to the Atari 800 so that The!Cart, MyIDE II etc will work. The Atari 800 has the /RAS signal on the cart pin where XL/XE have PHI2. Change that to PHI2 and The!Cart should work fine (I tested that myself some time ago).

Hu? Never saw that documented anywhere in the books. Not even in the Profibuc hwhich explains the differences of the port of 800. Also it works fine in the 400, so that means the 800 is differerent from 400 and 800XL in this regard?

Just search this forum for details, it has been explained a few times.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for the hint.

Since I have read this thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/212137-how-to-make-the-myide-ii-work-on-a-atari-800-with-incognito/

I think the Atari 400 slot in fact IS exactly the same as the Atari 800 slot. No PH2 connection. But the!cart works perfect in the 400 but does not in the 800.

(For filling the!cart with new rom files, I always use the 800XL. I don't know if this would work with the 400, but I don't care),

So, before doing any modification, I'll better wait until the experts give me some more input.......or maybe I'll wait for the!cart 2nd version.

It's a bit hard to see, but according to these schematics, it's really /RAS both on the 400 and 800.

http://www.bighole.nl/pub/mirror/homepage.ntlworld.com/kryten_droid/Atari/800XL/atari_hw/Exp00082.tif

http://www.bighole.nl/pub/mirror/homepage.ntlworld.com/kryten_droid/Atari/800XL/atari_hw/Exp00085.tif

Thus raising the question why it works on the 48k 400 but not on the 48k 800. Of course programming The!Cart will not work, but that'd be OK as long as useng works.

• Like 1

Berhard did a great job and here's the result. You can see how the quality is getting better with every print. Left is the 1st round right is the 4th round. have no clue about this but it looks like 3D printing is a real handcraft that you learn. There'll be a separate poll to see if/how many people would be interested. Berhard has no much "production capacity" of course. I also contacted des-or-mad to see if he has ideas for getting a label on it.

attachicon.gifDSC01270.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01269.JPG

Where do I send my money for one of these ? ;)

The!Cart is the best product of its kind. But is has three major flaws, one was the cartridge. Looks like this is close to being fixed :):):)

I'd like two more issues fixed: the contact quality is abominable and....there really should be a way to change the cart directly from a Mac (or a PC). With these two issues fixed, it would REALLY be THEcart to end all carts ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I am very interested in batch 2 too...

What other differences will there be?

Will it have GOLDEN PLATED contacts?

Logik and functions are identical but it will be smaller, more like an original cartridge but still with some differences.

It'll be sold without a shell from what I understood. But shell 3D model is in the making, so you can print it just like we did it for V1 now.

Contacts are definitively gold plated. More details will be provided soon, but we first want to get it done right.