IGNORED

Shadow of the Beast (PS4)

cimerians

heh it was more of a side scroller like the in between action segments of Actraiser, Altered Beast or Rygar.

It had some cool music and I'm hoping they keep the side scrolling action in the new game. It kind of looks that way in the vid.

I hear ya about Dynasty Warriors. DW 8 is on my list. I wasn't too thrilled with 7 per reviews. I still have DW 3 or 4 on PS2. Its fun but I can see why some people think its dumb. I just like the arcade feel to those games just slashing through hordes of enemies. It gets addicting. So I guess I'm a fan. :P

Edited by cimerians

Was I the only one not to like this game? I have a few versions--spent the most time on the lynx one, and some of the newer titles on sega genesis/cd too but they never really clicked with me. Music was pretty good, and IIRC the loading screens on the c64 ones added a lot of atmosphere, but I never found the gameplay itself to be fun.

I wonder if it's going to play 2d, or if they're going to go the 'like god of war but...' route

Nice to see something being done with the older psygnosis games, though.

...colony wars? Please...

Edited by Reaperman

Was I the only one not to like this game? I have a few versions--spent the most time on the lynx one, and some of the newer titles on sega genesis/cd too but they never really clicked with me. Music was pretty good, and IIRC the loading screens on the c64 ones added a lot of atmosphere, but I never found the gameplay itself to be fun.

I wonder if it's going to play 2d, or if they're going to go the 'like god of war but...' route

Nice to see something being done with the older psygnosis games, though.

...colony wars? Please...

You're not the only one. I never understood the appeal of this game. I owned the Genesis version back-in-the-day. I've since played the Amiga version, to see if there was something missed in the port, but I still don't care for it.

You're not the only one. I never understood the appeal of this game. I owned the Genesis version back-in-the-day. I've since played the Amiga version, to see if there was something missed in the port, but I still don't care for it.

I think the GAME was never really thought of as good. It was the graphics, for the time, that made this stand out. It was originally designed as a graphics demo for the Amiga, that slowly morphed into a game. The Atari Lynx version is actually the most playable version, but none of them are really "fun" to play.

I thought it was pretty good...loved the music. I'm just glad to see some older stuff redone rather than remakes of later things like Duke Nukem or whatever.

I'll be getting it if its good.

Love to see someone go even further back and do some remakes of C64\Atari era computer games.

One arcade game I would love to see is redone or something is Sinistar. Also been waiting for a Tie Fighter sequel for ages now....

There could be hope for Colony Wars.

The original Shadow of the Beast required an insane amount of memorization. You had to go a very specific path (surely most went right at the start of the game, which is wrong), and you really had to know what enemies were coming up and how to tackle them. Once you did however, it felt really good to be able to bolt through the game without dying.

I never did play the Amiga one, but of the ports the Genesis and Lynx versions are my favorite. The Lynx one especially has some nice scaling effects, and the gameplay is the most manageable. The Genesis one is also doable, but it is much faster and thus requires not just memorization, but crazy-fast reflexes as well. The SMS and SNES versions felt a little sloppy in the enemy placement, more cheap hits even after memorizing what to do.

As far as this new one.. Hm.. I don't know what to think of it. It's nice to see the series back (I thoroughly enjoyed the original after all), but I will have to see what the actual gameplay is like before making a judgement. If they keep it side-view, I just hope they don't "Flashback-ify" it, and take the original precision-based gameplay and turn it into something where you can play sloppy and still win (i.e., a run-of-the-mill modern 2.5d action game). I think I would prefer a Dynasty Warriors styled beat 'em up if they do decide to take the more action-oriented route though. The original was just as much about its puzzle/maze-like progression as it was the action, and without that fine balance of the two, a third-person beat 'em up would probably fare the best if it's all action and no thinking.

We'll see what happens, but the video looked like generic 3D hack & slash w/ nostalgic license slapped on. But I guess, what are they going to do, a 2d side scroller? I don't know... curious to see more of the game.

I liked the original (Amiga) version - not my favorite game of all time, but it looked and sounded unbelievable and I got into it. Psygnosis was gold.

One arcade game I would love to see is redone or something is Sinistar
There was a 3D "space flight" sinistar for PC about 10-15 years ago.