IGNORED

Mystery Port

toad

The XEGS used a 15-pin connector for the keyboard... someone may have added this to use a remote keyboard.

Can you post a picture of the inside? It would help to see where it's wired up to.

Two other long-shots are an internal parallel port or a connector for a PC-style joystick. I'm really reaching with those two.

heh - even though the DB15 was used for a lot of things, it'd be more interesting to see something like an RJ45 jack, Centronics CN50, or maybe even a Optical Toslink - Wikipedia says those actually came out in 1983. Of course no Atari had them, but that'd make it quite exciting waiting on the delivery of that XE :)

Well - my main hope is the computer works as described..

Edited by toad

The 130XE arrived today - and the answer is: keyboard.

I was shocked, all the wires end up going to the underneath of the computer - to the bottom side of the keyboard connector.

I haven't tried it yet, to see if an XEGS keyboard would work.

Eh...why two keyboards? Doesn't make sense to me, but that mystery may never be resolved....

I did try an XEGS keyboard - which did not work. So, apparently someone had hooked up their own keyboard - or perhaps the connection doesn't work anymore.

But, the good news for me, is otherwise this Atari 130XE works - and I got it for $50, which isn't bad, I think. But given I've made some bad purchases as well - got an XEGS that really doesn't work right at all - ....overall my collecting has been hit and miss, but I am glad to have recently had a string of luck...a working 65XE, a working XEP80 - and now a working 130XE. Well - I'm also shutting down the additional purchases for a bit, this is plenty, lol

I did try an XEGS keyboard - which did not work. So, apparently someone had hooked up their own keyboard - or perhaps the connection doesn't work anymore.

But, the good news for me, is otherwise this Atari 130XE works - and I got it for $50, which isn't bad, I think. But given I've made some bad purchases as well - got an XEGS that really doesn't work right at all - ....overall my collecting has been hit and miss, but I am glad to have recently had a string of luck...a working 65XE, a working XEP80 - and now a working 130XE. Well - I'm also shutting down the additional purchases for a bit, this is plenty, lol

Maybe the connection is for a 1200XL keyboard, if you compare the schematics you will see that they both have 15-pin connections but different pinouts.

1200XL

post-26063-0-81002200-1377636509_thumb.gif

XEGS

post-26063-0-00644100-1377636523_thumb.gif