IGNORED

OTON - Yet another crowdfunded console.

Doesn't seem to have set the world alight just yet.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oton-game-console

From what I can make out it's using a Quad-Core ARM Cortex processor so will be faster than the OUYA. Versions of the console will also have a built-in projector and front camera. That's pretty much its primary selling point.

Apparently it'll also create games itself. To be honest this part of it is a little hard to read and seems a bit too vague. If anyone understands it, please let me know.

On a few different levels, it sounds a lot like NES ROM maker...

As near as I can tell, the user simply 'wills' a brand new game into being and the system handles the rest.

I didn't see a mindreader port on it, but it could easily be around back.

Afraid I'm going to need a bit less mumbo-jumbo involved before I back, but hey, if the guy pulls it off, I'll gladly plunk down all the money required for a retail version. ...and in that alternate timeline I'll also probably go to fiji aboard my purple flying pig, where I can spend the rest of my days eating rainbows and farting out ice cream.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

Okay I just watched the video. Does anyone feel like these people were extremely nervous and unprepared. Look at the ouya video, it's very professional. I wouldn't trust these people with my money.

Who is he unveiling the console to? Nervous people in his dining room?

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

Okay I just watched the video. Does anyone feel like these people were extremely nervous and unprepared. Look at the ouya video, it's very professional. I wouldn't trust these people with my money.

Who is he unveiling the console to? Nervous people in his dining room?

So Ouya had good videos but unprepared software.

I'd rather have well prepared software than promo videos.

Just sayin.

*edit*

BTW, I think they are too late just because Ouya came first.

And I refuse to fund indiegogo projects since they don't let you alter your funding choices.

Edited by JamesD

No upstart is going to run well at first. While I was pissed off at how ouya did things in the start, their product pulled through.

This project…I have no faith in whatsoever. These guys look like they don't know what they're doing. I'd be shocked if the systems OS turned out half as well as the ouya's crappy launch day OS.

Presentation is everything because how you present yourself is the best for of advertisement. Ouya struck a chord with people because they presented a product well. These guys' presentation is elementary at best. Why would I give my money to people who don't look like they have their act together?

Not to mention they came up with this in 2012. Sounds like they saw the success of the ouya and said "me too!" More powerful hardware doesn't make it a better product.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I'm going to make a console.

It'll be called the Wonton Four. No, there were never 1-3. It'll be shaped like a wonton and make Chinese food for you while having full access to the google Play store.

Darryl Benson, ingenious hungry gamer.

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 4

Does it have support for the Google Play Store? If the answer is yes, it might be worth a look. If not, forget it. I don't see the point in an Android device without the functionality of an Android device.

It's my understanding that it only plays its own games...that it makes up on the fly, but somehow matches other players online that pissant matchmaking service they were prattling on about. I've actually spent more time researching this silly claim than any reasonable human should have. Here's the most highly-technical explanation I could find--it was in the comments of one of the linked stories on a site I've never heard of:

Hello Jay. Derrick here OTON creator and project manager. Thanks for the great questions. OTON create games by a special algorithm I designed. If we get funded you can select different type of games to create, play and share!

Now it's one thing to keep all your secrets close to your chest, but the one time you would want to let maybe a hint or two out is when you're looking for investors. Really the whole thing sounds like a load of crap from a group of people who don't even know what a proper load of crap is supposed to sound like. I'll help out by providing some far better BS:

"This revolutionary product assembles its own games from something called 'gamelets.' There are overall gameplay style gamelets, setting/scenery gamelets, sound, and object gamelets. They work together to construct a game based on input from the gamer. At bare minimum, the gamer will have to provide some broad interests and Oton will make its best guess as to what to construct. If players would like to get more involved, they can dive into the built-in game editor. Games can be shared and played with other Oton users who construct the same game on their system using a small 'seed' from the creation process."

^granted it's pretty much just rewording their bs. Or was I rewording the 'NES ROM maker BS'?--whatever, I do what I want.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

I'm going to make a console.

It'll be called the Wonton Four. No, there were never 1-3. It'll be shaped like a wonton and make Chinese food for you while having full access to the google Play store.

Darryl Benson, ingenious hungry gamer.

You can just rewrite the OTON video to be a promotion for the Wonton Four.

"This is how Wonton Four works. Think of the hand illustration as the Wonton Four algorithm. Ambiance created. Chicken deboned. Almond flavor added. Rice boiled. Egg rolled. Meal compleated."

• Like 2

You can just rewrite the OTON video to be a promotion for the Wonton Four.

"This is how Wonton Four works. Think of the hand illustration as the Wonton Four algorithm. Ambiance created. Chicken deboned. Almond flavor added. Rice boiled. Egg rolled. Meal compleated."

Hahaha!

"You can eat on a wall, you can eat in a door, you can eat in a car. Wonton Four is completely portable! (Batteries sold separately. Wonton Four does not take batteries)

Doesn't seem to have set the world alight just yet.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/oton-game-console

From what I can make out it's using a Quad-Core ARM Cortex processor so will be faster than the OUYA. Versions of the console will also have a built-in projector and front camera. That's pretty much its primary selling point.

Apparently it'll also create games itself. To be honest this part of it is a little hard to read and seems a bit too vague. If anyone understands it, please let me know.

From those specs for the oton it would seem that is using a tegra 3 t30l, the ouya uses a tegra 3 t33. So no, oton will not be faster then the ouya.

Edited by madmax2069

From those specs for the oton it would seem that is using a tegra 3 t30l, the ouya uses a tegra 3 t33. So no, oton will not be faster then the ouya.

I'm pretty sure that if they were planning to use a tegra they would have mentioned that. Instead there's no mention of any kind of advanced gpu.

Of course there's a 50/50 chance that's because none of those 3 knew what a gpu was, so they didn't bother pretending to pick one for their scam. I wouldn't pay any of those three to mow my lawn, much less back them on a complex piece of hardware.

It's here the OTON X Premium $279: includes one console and one controller. This OTON console comes with the integrated rear projection camera for gaming anywhere or for screening your photos or videos!

f'n serious? That sounds like a mistake the crackhead in the alley behind burgerking would make when trying to sell me a game console that he "found."

Edited by Reaperman

I'm also curious as to why they chose Indiegogo rather than Kickstarter.

Probably because of this:

This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its goal. Funding duration: August 16, 2013 - September 15, 2013 (11:59pm PT).

• Like 1

In an effort to duplicate the levels/assets that a majority of users would actually build if they had the correct tools, the OTON algorithm will insert penis images for scenery, level design and characters 65% of the time. This is also known as 'multiplying by the p-constant,' or in OTON-specific terminology "penii - added."

Edited by Reaperman