IGNORED

A tribute to newcoleco - The Godfather of ColecoVision Homebrew!

retroillucid

I decided to start a thread here to pay hommage to Daniel Bienvenu (newcoleco)

You are invited to post your tribute message to newcoleco here

Daniel is a pioneer of CV homebrew, he is also call the Godfather of the ColecoVision Homebrewing

He developped many USEFULL development tools for the Colecovision wich is now use by almost all Colecovision homebrewers

He also developped many homebrew games wich are considered to be one of the most complex games, in terms of achievments and considering the ColecoVision capacities

When Daniel is working on Cv chiptune music, you can hear in his compositions how much love are put into those tunes

Everything he works on, turn to gold and are sough after by the ColecoVision fans

Daniel also did a bunch of helpfull videos on youtube always to help others programmers/developpers

So, go ahead! And post your tribute messages to Daniel! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Si vous parlez français, je vous invites à poster votre message en français

• Like 5

Daniel,

Je me souviens de t'avoir contacté en 1996

Je voulais TELLEMENT faire un jeu pour le Colecovision

J'avais utilisé VOIROM et j'avais fait des modification sur la rom de Mouse Trap, j'avais changer les graphiques pour ceux de Venture grâce à ton petit outils voirom.

C'est à ce moment que j'ai débuté mon travail avec ICVGM, question d'apprivoiser le programme

Ma passion pour faire des graphiques ColecoVision à commencé tout ça grâce à toi!

C'est que ça devenais super facile pour moi de pouvoir encoder les graphiques!

Ce n'est quand 2008 que j'ai pu me trouver un programmeur pour faire Mr Chin

J'ai encodé tout avec ICVGM

J'ai pu enfin de rencontrer au ADAMCon l'an passé et mes doutes fût confirmés!

Tu est vraiment quelqu'un de gentil, calme et qui à première vu, semble vraiment un très bon gars

Cette année, ça fait 5 ans que CollectorVision existe

Tout ça n'existerait pas si tu n'avait pas développer des outils et partager tes conaissances avec les autres

J'espère que tu apprécie notre travail car nous ne serions pas là sans toi!

Merci et bravo pour tout!

Et j'espère que tu sera encore la pour au moins 30 ans encore! ;) :)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 1

Ah, je dois reconnaitre que sans lui, jamais je ne me serais intéressé à développer sur cette console.

J'ai essayé au début de développer sur Videopac (nom de l'Odyssey² en Europe), cependant la programmation en assembleur m'a rebuté. Ensuite, après avoir lu dans un article consacré à Mario Bros sur cette machine que ce jeu a été développé en C, j'ai fait des recherches et j'ai découvert les outils de Daniel.

Un grand merci donc à celui qui a énormément contribué à la scène homebrew de cette console en facilitant le développement de nouveaux titres.

• Like 1

Daniel has created and/or helped create a wealth of tools that many ColecoVision programmers and screen/sprite/character designers use. Virtually all of the programming tools I use were made by Daniel. Without his work and the sharing of his work, there would be only a small fraction of the existing ColecoVision homebrews available.

That may only be impressive to us, of course, with our small population of 50-500. It's still a fun hobby to be involved in, though. It's challenging, and keeps the mind active. A person could do much worse in hobby selection. Most people do.

• Like 1

Daniel! Que dire de plus que tu es le Maitre incontesté du Colecovision, On t'appel de Parain du Colecovision et ce n'est pas pour rien.

Avec ton tallent, tu as inspirer tant de gens, Avec ton tallent tu as redonner vie a notre colecovision. Je me rapelle avoir acheter quelque un de tes premier jeux

lors des rencontres du CCVJQ au debut des année 2000. C'est aussi grace a toi si j'ai pu decouvrir Atari Age. Merci Daniel!!!!

SVP ne lache pas ton super travail, nous les fans on aura toujours besoin de toi. Parfois ca la vie peu nous semble du mais il y aura toujours quelqu'un pour te remonter le moral.

Merci encore Daniel.

• Like 1

When I came to the Colecovision world, the first document I found (and it was very useful!) was "Programming Colecovision Games" http://www.gooddealgames.com/articles/ColecoProgramming/cv%20programming.pdf, by Daniel Bienvenu,

That single document got me into Colecovision programming because Daniel made it to look so easy and he included all the important technical information. So thanks Daniel! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I may sound corny but it is just my feeling.

Daniel's the one indirectly got me to program games for this system. I LOVE ICVGM and I can't thank him enough for this wonderful art program. I don't know, I just enjoy laying back on my back and imitate tiles from SNES games and other games. I usually have these nagging thoughts when I am playing Lagoon, Actraiser, and other games on higher spec system thinking, hmm... these tiles would work perfectly for Colecovision or thinking how would this 3D game translate to a 2D system. I also make artwork from it. CVtoolkit is excellent to place the sprites on screen and it gave me information on x and y coordinates. I was able to import the nametable from ICVGM into SPRITES background. Really excellent art program for making Colecovision game for sure. I released a ROM of mock-up viewable on the Colecovision on the forums.

Programming is one of those thing that take me a long time to figured out. I'm bright but it part of my limitation whether my brain works or not. When I was back in college in 2003 and doing Visual Basic, I honestly didn't know how array works or how functions. I managed to make program work somehow back then. I really should stuck with that profession and follow through with it, but I prefer work over school. Honestly, I truly don't know what I should do for a living. I do pixel art, 3D modeling, web design, and etc. Hopefully I will go back to school once everything get settled and get my Bachelor degree.

My very first game was on the TI-83+ Calculator. I had the manual to help me with the programming part and I made a pretty linear text adventure with ASCII graphics. The menu gave it less linear where you can talk to town folks. So I thought of that game, no longer exist on that Calc and span of 2 20KB prgm. That gave me a start on what kind of game I should make for the Colecovision and I thought of that one. It will help me understand C language and I could learn as I am programming. I can use ICVGM to make the graphics and thought of solutions of the problems. I used the cv programming book as a guide. It really good reviewing functions and made me memorize the memory location since I use rle2vram instead of the specific function. His sample programs is very useful to see how function are set up and how it works. His name is bottom of the titlescreen and will be credited in future games.

I have about 10 different games in work. I learned a lot and I thank J-F giving me a push into programming. He should just send a monkey that slaps my hand if I steer off to browse the internet or get up and get some food, so I can get these games done :P. Somehow, I find time to work on Colecovision stuff everyday for an hour or so. I hope one of these day he'll be able to play my games on a cartridge that I released. He's a very nice person and very passionate with Colecovision. He really got me into Colecovision programing. Colecovision's limitation is part of what's fun for me to make game for this system :). Keep your chin up Daniel and do what's make you happy. Don't let anyone stop you.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 2

I've known Daniel for 10 years now, and I have to say it's been really great to have him as a friend and to get to use all of his great tools like ICVGM and the getput library. These and other tools have really raised the bar on what can be done on the ColecoVision in a way that was so challenging before. He has inspired me to work on my minigame projects and of course my many prototype extended games.

Before having access to Daniel's tools, I had my own command line tools and did most of my graphics work on paper. But with tools like CVToolkit, you can actually try the animated sprites to get the right shapes. It truly makes for better art than was easy to achieve before.

Without his influence I would never have considered making and releasing games on cartridge. I programmed SuperGames and ColecoVision games only for myself, with no idea that there was actually anyone who would still be interested in my work. Even now when I meet people in the Toronto Indy Game community they are amazed that there is this whole active community, and I attribute to the expanding community in large part to Daniel's tireless work to promote and support new CV developers.

• Like 1

Alors que je cherchais un kit de developpement pour Atari 800XL dans le but de realiser une version de Ghost'n Goblins pour cette machine, je suis tombé par hazard sur le kit de developpement colecovision de Daniel, et bien sur toutes ses merveilleuses documentation et exemples , et inombrables outils dedié a cette merveilleuse console , qui fut ma premiere console. Avant cette decouverte, je ne pensais meme pas que l'on pouvait developper dessus si simplement. Et quand j'ai decouvert aussi que l'on pouvait faire editer ses propres cartouches (grace au encore jeune collectorvision a l'epoque)... je me suis dit je vais tenter de realiser un reve de gosse. Faire mon propre jeu sur colecovision et le faire editer en support physique.... Ce fut fait avec Ghost'n Zombie sur Coleco. Daniel m'a simplement permis de realiser un reve de gosse, et ca , c'est vraiment inestimable.

Plus tard grace a ses talents de musiciens, il m'a fait les musiques des Lutins Bleus et de the The way of exploding foot.

De plus , c'est un des rares homebrewers qui fassent des jeux vraiment originaux a la realisation irreprochable.

Daniel est vraiment le GodFather du Homebrew sur Coleco. Sans lui, je ne serais pas mal , et je n'aurais jamais rien publier sur Colecovision.

MERCI DANIEL

• Like 1

Bienvenu means "welcome" in English, and never has a guy been so aptly named: "Want to get into ColecoVision programming? Here's a ton of documentation, a couple of C libraries, some graphic applications to help you make your own graphics in no time flat, and if you need help, just contact me. Welcome to the happy world of ColecoVision homebrewing! Have fun!"

Calling you the Godfather of ColecoVision homebrewing is by all means appropriate. As others have said, you've done a lot for this community, and you've also done a lot for me personally. Meeting you and sharing info and ideas at past AdamCons has always been fun, and I'll use those Boxxle tunes you crafted for me in a real cartridge game if it's the last thing I do. :)

The work you've done with such games as Ghostblaster is beyond admirable. And I love all the musical tunes you've done these past few years, which have served to show us all what the sound chip in our beloved ColecoVision is capable of.

Keep up the good work, and I hope you'll stick around for a few years still. :D :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I was always passionate about the Colecovision and wanted to program for that console. Daniel was the one who gave me the push to actually do it. I never used any of his tools (I prefere doing it in assembly, by hand, like the good old days), but his documentation was top notch. He was always there with something nice to say and some helpful advice. I admire his dedication and rarely have I ever seen someone with so much dedication towards a particular topic (the ColecoVision).

Thanks Daniel! Merci!

• Like 2

j'ai connu daniel virtuellement a travers le CCJVQ en 2000 il y a de ca maintenant 13 ans et je me souviens avoir été faciné par son dévouement pour le coding pour le coleco mais aussi son ouverture d'esprit par raports aux idées des autres c'est ainsi que moi et d'autres gens (dont Sylvain de chantal et la gang du CCJVQ) ont commencé a le bombarder d'idées de jeux pas toujours bonnes (faut nous pardonner daniel passer des soirées sur des chats quand j'ai une journée de travail dans le corps..ça m'a jamais réussi) mais je suis fier de dire que ça avait quand même abouti au developpement sur cassette de bustin out vol 1 et 2 qui sont pour moi les premiers jeux pour adultes sur coleco ...évidement pas de boitiers en cartons et des stickers avec les moyens du bords le coté électronique fait avec l'aide de Marcel de Korgel ...qu'importe ça ma fait connaitre sa détermination amener un projet a terme (dites vous qu'au début 2000 la communauté coleco était pas très développé pas d'éditeur de jeux bref presque rien) regardez maintenant ou on en est rendu

merci Daniel d'avoir montré la voie

• Like 1

Just wanna say thanks for Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin :) Great games. Have them on the CV Ultimate SD cart. Mario Bros. in particular is excellent - comparable to the NES version (in some ways better because of the arcade intermissions and "secret" bonus screens). Your other ROM games available online are good too :!:

Just wanna say thanks for Mario Bros. and Mr. Chin :) Great games. Have them on the CV Ultimate SD cart. Mario Bros. in particular is excellent - comparable to the NES version (in some ways better because of the arcade intermissions and "secret" bonus screens). Your other ROM games available online are good too :!:

Um... Was Daniel Bienvenu involved with Mario Bros or Mr Chin...?

I will say this. Daniel please never give up on the community. Your incite and knowledge of the system are second to none. I understand you can get frustrated with expectations. I say to hell with them. Do what makes you feel good. You inspire people to create. Please continue opening doors to those who want to create also.

• Like 1

I learned of Daniel's work back when Dacman was released circa mid to late 90's. At the time I didn't have the money to buy the game, but I wanted it so bad!

After I started my Youtube channel he contacted me, and it was like getting a message from the Beatles or something!

Daniel, I hope you will continue to advance the ColecoVision community. Your hard work is appreciated by myself and many others.

• Like 2