IGNORED

Import from Japan....what to try for?

Actually, I was surprised at how good Puyo Puyo Sun (3) was. That's worth grabbing for cheap.

I always just sort of assumed that all Puyo Puyo games were exactly the same, so I never upgraded after the Genesis one. Then again, I thought the same about Puzzle Bobble, and although core gameplay is always the same, there are subtle differences. Curious, what makes it PP Sun so outstanding?

I always just sort of assumed that all Puyo Puyo games were exactly the same, so I never upgraded after the Genesis one. Then again, I thought the same about Puzzle Bobble, and although core gameplay is always the same, there are subtle differences. Curious, what makes it PP Sun so outstanding?

Well, I played Puyon (#4) before playing Sun (#3).

Where Puyon had muddy graphics that looked like they'd been downsized and turtle-slow gameplay, Sun made an impression on me with big, crisp sprites, no gameplay issues, and the overall polish I was expecting from a 32/64-bit era Puyo. Sun mostly plays like Puyo 2, but with the minor addition of the Sun-type puyos. The voice acting is a nice extra... with Satan played by the series' creator, and Incubus shouting things like "Oh Shit!" when his makeup smears.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was hoping to get some input from the community on this. We have a saleman at our company who is regularly making business trips over to Japan. He's also nice enough to look around for me if I give him a small wish list of gaming/electronic items.

So I'm trying to come up with just a couple of things that are:

• Relatively easy to find in Japan
  • Relatively hard or not possible to find in the US
  • Compatible with US hardware (using a Freeloader counts)
  • At this point, N64 or Gamecube related
  • Language friendly
On the software front, I have no ideas....any suggestions? I don't even know if any N64 software would fit my criteria above....isn't there a lockout tab that prevents Japan titles from fitting into a US console (?).

On the hardware front, I was thinking of a Wavebird. Does anyone know if those are easier/cheaper to find in Japan? If so and relatively inexpensive, that would be a very nice grab, and something sorely missing from my GCN set-up!

OK everyone, same question as before! Our lead salesman is heading back to Tokyo and I'm hoping that he'll have some time to scout out a game or 2 for me. I need new suggestions. Same criteria as before (see above), and in fact I'm really leaning towards Gamecube related (I'm on a Gamecube kick right now). Thoughts??

I happened across Bomberman Land 2 as a game only available in Japan. Is that any good, and does it pass the 'Language Friendly' criteria?

BTW....I love DrillLand! I still haven't figured out the right combination of button presses to properly format a memory card and save my game, but I'm hoping to soon. To that end....does anyone know of a good smartphone or tablet translator app that uses the camera for translation? I really love Bing Translator on my WP8, but it doesn't do Japanese (Chinese though....go figure).

Edited by Metal Ghost

• 4 weeks later...

If you like shmups, try to find a PS1 game called Zanac X Zanac.

Its super expensive here in the states, and I know they exist... when I was in japan in 2004, I had a sealed copy in my hand in the store for $15.. and regret buying it to this day. I'm sure its still around.

Zanac Neo has the most intricate scoring system of any shmup. Definitely lots of replay time with that one. And, you get the original NES Zanac with it as well. :)

Also, pick up any Cave shoot em ups that you can find for the xbox 360. The hike in price getting it imported is about $20-30 depending on the site. If you can find a copy of Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets, snag it. Its out of print and quickly becoming rare.

Edited by keilbaca

Was playing DrillLand last night with my wife. I think she even got into it, which is nice since she's much, much better at remembering what Japanese text relates to what Drilstones!

My buddy is travelling next week....I'm hoping he finds some fun stuff!

Glad you're enjoying it! Sorry about the few language roadblocks. If there's anything you can't figure out, send me a photo or something and I'll be happy to translate.

This is the New Game (left) / Continue (right) menu at the start of a game.

post-26529-0-69131600-1392994401_thumb.jpg

And some basic importers' Japanese... はい is "yes", いいえ is "no"

I don't know what your region-bypass situation is; if you're using a modded cube or a region-free boot disc.... if you aren't using a boot disc, then it's going to expect a Japanese-formatted memory card, and it'll format the current card (careful!) if you allow it. I think the boot discs let you keep japanese saves side-by-side with USA saves on your card.

Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 1

Glad you're enjoying it! Sorry about the few language roadblocks. If there's anything you can't figure out, send me a photo or something and I'll be happy to translate.

This is the New Game (left) / Continue (right) menu at the start of a game.

attachicon.gifhqdefault.jpg

And some basic importers' Japanese... はい is "yes", いいえ is "no"

I don't know what your region-bypass situation is; if you're using a modded cube or a region-free boot disc.... if you aren't using a boot disc, then it's going to expect a Japanese-formatted memory card, and it'll format the current card (careful!) if you allow it. I think the boot discs let you keep japanese saves side-by-side with USA saves on your card.

Thanks! That's really appreciated. I'm using a Freeloader, but I'm pretty sure it still needed to format the memory card. Not sure if I ever successfully did that however....I get a 'System Info' screen, but can't understand anything else. I may take you up on that offer once I'm able to get a good screen shot. But yea, love the game. The whole family loves it, and I have to admit that I really get into the music that plays for the Tower of Duraga land. It repeats, but not often enough to get annoying and it's just so damn orchestral....I'm a fan.

Great thread! I'm looking into all of this as well, and this answers to of my questions. I considered getting more import items for various systems despite vowing not to.. I feel different about it now though. So far I only have one import game, Human Grand Prix: The New Generation CIB for Nintendo 64, pretty neat game. I bought it along with a few CIB Atari Jaguar games years ago when a local video rental place went out of business. The cart has the tabs mentioned grounded off and plays fine in my console. I just can't understand the text obviously.. Lol.

I hope to travel over there to Japan someday, I bet it would be a phenomenal experience. Should have told my buddy to snag up some stuff a few years ago when he made the trip. I know you're looking for n64 stuff and what not but you ought to consider buying a few Super Famicom NTT Modem Data controllers. Those are selling like how cakes now since a pcb is being developed. These are super hard to find in states but plentiful over there, you could really cash in if you wanted or keep one to build if you're into ColecoVision at all. . Exploring different ColecoVision controller options and that and the regular Famicom NTT controller are also in demand. I had to resort to eBay for my SFC data controller.

Anyways besides that, I'm wondering what Japanese N64 games to get myself.. I'll look into the titles you guys mentioned. I'm sure there's others to check out. Good luck with the search, let us know what goodies you get whenever your friend gets back in town.

Cheers -

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hello again everyone! Well, a bit of a surprise here for me since my original post above a number of years ago, but now I'M going to be in Tokyo! I am so extremely excited by the prospect.

Now, it's a business trip, and the primary focus is time in China. So I'll only have 2 1/2-ish days in Tokyo. But I still plan on enjoying myself to the fullest during that time. And I'll have all day Sunday to myself, which I've heard is a big shopping day there, so hopefully no issues with finding stores to check out. Plus, my hotel is only a 30 minute walk or 15 minute train ride to Akihabara, so huge plus there.

So anyway, I wanted to resurrect this thread. I've done a pretty good job especially over the last 3 years of keeping my physical gaming footprint to a minimum. That being said, I almost NEED to come back with at least a couple of fun games!

So any suggestions on what to get? All of the same criteria from my original post at top still apply. I did get Drill Land and Radirgy. The latter unfortunately doesn't work, apparently a compatibility issue with US GCN's.

But what else is out there that I should try within the confines above?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Radirgy didn't work? Or did you reverse it as I know Drill Land won't which is why I never picked it up. I know what you're talking about as I use the Freeloader too on the Cube. I'd suggest looking into the 4 volume set of Hudson Selects. There's Takahashi Meijin(Adv Island), Lode Runner, Star Soldier, and Bonk's Adventure (and I have the last two, had LR didn't care for it, want the other.) Castle of Shikigami 2 alone or in bigger box with toy is a nice option. Nintendo Puzzle Collection would be another too on the cube. On the N64 the library of useful stuff isn't that big, but if you cut the tabs or better have a cart adapter Sin & Punishment and Bangaioh are a must. Any of those should cost you notably less than buying it in the states in some shop or through ebay, can't speak to an intermediary with yahoo japan though.

• Like 1

Thanks Tanooki!

Yes, it was definitely Radirgy. Drill Land worked perfectly actually with a Freeloader, at least that was my experience. I really need to break that one back out, come to think of it. IIRC, Radirgy simply gave me a black screen and nothing else. It was years ago so that's what I recall at least, though I'm 100% sure it didn't work for me.

Great ideas though.... I will definite be on the search for those then!

Also, come to think of it, since my original post we now have a 3DS, WiiU and a Vita in the family. So opening it up to any suggestions on those platforms as well. Language Friendly is a big must though.

3DS doesn't have compatibility with the Japanese stuff unlike the Switch, be aware of it, there is no magic kit or disc like the freeloader. It's why I never bother picking up a few things overseas I wish they'd have done here.

Huh, so it's not like the GBA either then.... Isn't that completely region free? To bad they changed that for the 3DS

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone! Well, a bit of a surprise here for me since my original post above a number of years ago, but now I'M going to be in Tokyo! I am so extremely excited by the prospect.

Now, it's a business trip, and the primary focus is time in China. So I'll only have 2 1/2-ish days in Tokyo. But I still plan on enjoying myself to the fullest during that time. And I'll have all day Sunday to myself, which I've heard is a big shopping day there, so hopefully no issues with finding stores to check out. Plus, my hotel is only a 30 minute walk or 15 minute train ride to Akihabara, so huge plus there.

So anyway, I wanted to resurrect this thread. I've done a pretty good job especially over the last 3 years of keeping my physical gaming footprint to a minimum. That being said, I almost NEED to come back with at least a couple of fun games!

So any suggestions on what to get? All of the same criteria from my original post at top still apply. I did get Drill Land and Radirgy. The latter unfortunately doesn't work, apparently a compatibility issue with US GCN's.

But what else is out there that I should try within the confines above?

Just wanted to ping this post since I'll be leaving Shanghai for Tokyo tomorrow. No matter what though, I'm looking forward to exploring!