IGNORED

Any Master System owners?

So does the console control rather a game is PAL or NTSC, hence PAL games should be fine? I'm thinking that since reviews from the UK have borders and slow down which would have been accounted for had the game actually been converted. I'm assuming (and yess I know what ass-u-me really means) that all the games are the same based on videos about 50-60 and language mods. I saw Streets of Rage turn into Bare Knuckle on a Genesis with the flip of a switch.

i love the SMS.me & my brother were lucky as kids i guess,as we had both the nes & sms(along with 2600 & ti99-4a computer),and i was always a big fan of sega.i had an original system & model 2 system,and i had almost every game for SMS that was released in north america,think i was missing 5 games.had lots of UK imports as well.but when i lost my job 3 years ago,the SMS collection was one i decided to sell.big mistake.i missed having that childhood console of mine.now working again,i bought another sms again,and have about 20 games for it.also have the a/v cable with it,which looks much better when hooked up to my old CRT tv.

I like the SMS, but it's far from my favorite system. I generally dislike the grid pattern look of the cases with little to no art work...it's boring that they all look the same. Loose carts are also bad because thee's no end labels.

There are a few games on it I really enjoy though.

For those who are not hardcore about owning actual hardware (since the SMS & games seem to be fairly expensive used in the US), and just want a good, original-accurate "sampling" of SMS games, check out the AtGames SMS/GG plug-n-play w/30 games. They are new and I bought one a while back and have been playing the heck outta it. Probably put 15+ hrs on it so far, and it's still on it's first set of batteries :cool: Thinking of picking up another one or maybe one of the AtGames Genesis 80-games model.

I may pick up an original SMS one day, but not anytime soon. I'm kinda cheap :D I already have so many old consoles (for me) and am running out of space and spending money, I'm starting to buy multicarts and good plug-n-play "consoles" instead :!:

For the general population, Atari meant 2600. Id say most people are not even aware of the computer line.

I wasn't even discussing the computer line. Atari Inc. made 12 consoles (11 if we drop the 7800). I've been seeing this trend lately with people in media and other just referring to "the Atari" when that of course was never ever the name of a console. It's the name of the company. I'm also not sure I agree with Bill with "Nintendo" meaning NES. You're talking about a company that's been around for a long time and released many different platforms as well; it depends entirely on what generation a person is from. If I say "the Nintendo" to someone who grew up in the mid to late 90s they're more likely to think of the Nintendo 64 for instance. Same example for simply saying "the Sega."

Edited by Retro Rogue

Initially when the SMS was marketed it was sold as the 'Sega', at least in the west. It was only later that they started referring to it as the Master System. :)

Regardless, it's a cool system that looks really slick next to my stylish 2600 Jr. You can't beat black, red and chrome... I'm living in the future baby!

I wasn't even discussing the computer line. Atari Inc. made 12 consoles (11 if we drop the 7800). I've been seeing this trend lately with people in media and other just referring to "the Atari" when that of course was never ever the name of a console. It's the name of the company. I'm also not sure I agree with Bill with "Nintendo" meaning NES. You're talking about a company that's been around for a long time and released many different platforms as well; it depends entirely on what generation a person is from. If I say "the Nintendo" to someone who grew up in the mid to late 90s they're more likely to think of the Nintendo 64 for instance. Same example for simply saying "the Sega."

This isnt a new trend. If you were a kid inthe mid 80s, "Atari" was the 2600, "Nintendo" was the NES, and "Sega " was the master system. You didnt say to your freinds " hey, come over and play atari video computer system with me" You said lets play some atari. That shit just carried on with alot of people as adults. Thanks for the atari console trivia though

• Like 1

This isnt a new trend. If you were a kid inthe mid 80s, "Atari" was the 2600, "Nintendo" was the NES, and "Sega " was the master system. You didnt say to your freinds " hey, come over and play atari video computer system with me" You said lets play some atari. That shit just carried on with alot of people as adults. Thanks for the atari console trivia though

I was a kid in the early 80s, we said "2600" or "VCS" (especially when they came out with the 5200 and other friends got that), Colecovision, Intellivision, etc. not let's play "Atari", "Coleco," or "Mattel." Atari was used as a general slang term for all video games and technology (such as in Atari Democrats) as someone mentioned. It's a new trend in media though as stated, to refer to the 2600 as just "Atari," media at the time didn't make the mistake of referring to it like you're claiming. It's use by some of the current media shows accuracy has gone out the window. (No different than how some of the slang usage by some calling the 2600 "4-bit" is woefully wrong). Using just Nintendo and Sega in the later 80s for their respective consoles is an obvious thing, they only had the one console each at the time in the US. Not the case with the Atari brand, and certainly not the case anymore with Nintendo and Sega, where as stated the brand name conjures different consoles depending on what generation you're from. You can be as belligerent as you want, it doesn't change facts, nor does brushing off facts about Atari on an Atari forum as "trivia" come off as anything but silly.

Edited by Retro Rogue

In the 80s Atari meant 2600. If someone had something else thay said so, or just said Atari and you found out later. If we really want to get pedantic we can call it the Atari VCS and go back to the second name. That however is way off topic with regard to the SMS. We are dangerously close to grammer Nazi territory here.

In the 80s Atari meant 2600. If someone had something else thay said so, or just said Atari and you found out later. If we really want to get pedantic we can call it the Atari VCS and go back to the second name. That however is way off topic with regard to the SMS. We are dangerously close to grammer Nazi territory here.

^ This

• Like 1