IGNORED

Forum Upgraded

Albert

Just upgraded the forum to a new version. There won't be many noticeable differences, although some elements have seen extensive work, such as the editor. I've currently disabled the third-party skins that were installed, until I have a chance to upgrade them later today. I also purchased two new skins that I'll be installing as well.

There are a few other things I need to tweak. If you see anything odd, or especially if you see any errors, please let me know and I'll work to fix them right away.

Thanks,

..Al

• Like 1

I thought clearing all AtariAge cookies would fix the "post is empty" problem, but it didn't help. Your suggestion to clear the cache fixed it. Thanks.

The editor is written in Javascript and it underwent significant changes with this upgrade. I didn't see the "Post is empty" business, but I'm not terribly surprised. I'll make a global announcement about it.

..Al

I want to reply to a PM, but the quote window is "solid", in the sense that I cannot break it into chunks like I usually do (with the "quote" and "/quote" tags) to reply to individual parts of the other guy's post. Is there any way to break the quote box into separate parts with this new version of the forum software?

I want to reply to a PM, but the quote window is "solid", in the sense that I cannot break it into chunks like I usually do (with the "quote" and "/quote" tags) to reply to individual parts of the other guy's post.

You mean...

Is there any way to break the quote box into separate parts with this new version of the forum software?

...like this?

..Al

I want to reply to a PM, but the quote window is "solid", in the sense that I cannot break it into chunks like I usually do (with the "quote" and "/quote" tags) to reply to individual parts of the other guy's post.

Is there any way to break the quote box into separate parts with this new version of the forum software?

You can hit the button on at the top left of the text editor to switch modes so you can see the actual code. It's next to the icon that looks like an eraser and above the B button for bold text.

I usually use the "simple" editor, which lets you edit the BBcode tags directly. That's how I broke apart your post above. I'm not sure how it worked in the previous version of the software, since I very rarely used the "visual" editor.

..Al

Before the upgrade, I would see "quote" and "/quote" in the editor window, not quote boxes. This allowed me to edit the quote and break it up into chunks. When I reply to PMs, am I taken to the "simple" editor?

Here's how it looks visually for anyone curious. By default, you're in the visual editor. You can go into the "simple" text editor by clicking the icon in the upper-left corner of the editor:

edit_mode_toggle_1.png

This causes the editor to switch to a mode where you can edit (and add) BBcodes directly:

edit_mode_toggle_2.png

..Al

I should be called "Activity" or so as it seems to list the latest activities in the forum.

It's called "Spy" as the name of the application is "Content Spy". It shows the latest activity in the forums, blogs, gallery, and so forth. It auto-updates frequently, so if you have the page loaded you can watch in real-time as new posts are entered. The mini-spy on the main page does the same. It will time out after a bit of inactivity so as to not unnecessarily tie up server resources.

I do agree that "Activity" or "Activity Feed" or something along those lines will make it more obvious what it's for. The "Spy" tab has been here for a while now, but the "Mini-Spy" on the front page will help draw more attention to it.

..Al