IGNORED

Request for assistance in publishing old source code files

Chris Crawford

I have begun a project to make publicly available all the source code and documentation I can dig up from the old days. This turns out to be harder than I thought. I sent a bunch of my old Atari floppies to a fellow at the Atari museum and he was able to recover about half of them, for which he produced a CD-ROM with all the old floppies in .ATR format. Unfortunately, since I don't have an Atari emulator, I had to decode the text files by hand, which took some effort. Moreover, the results were still rather garbled, so I have to go over them by hand to do what I can to clean them up. I'm currently working on the source code for Eastern Front (1941). The big job here is the long text explaining what each module does. I'm still digging through it.

Those diskettes contain a lot of stuff that I'm sure people would be interested in. I believe that the fellow at the Atari museum posted them all as .ATR files. They included my source code for a number of aborted projects: Western Front 1944, Last of the Incas, and other stuff. If you guys don't have access to this stuff, I can make it available.

I also discovered a bunch of printouts of source code in the attic: Eastern Front Scenario Editor, Wizard, and Excalibur. I intend to scan these and convert them into ASCII source. That too will take some time. In the meantime, if anybody here could convert an .ATR text file into ASCII, I would much appreciate the help.

And by the way, I also found a reference that says that I *did* in fact study Ed Rotberg's scrolling code before making Eastern Front (1941). My statement above is therefore incorrect. Chalk it up to failing memory.

• Like 16

Thanks Chris for sharing this. Im sure many on this site appreciate this.

Its been a long time so far where some previously available has been considered long lost; and you have been an inspiration both past and present!

Edited by Magic Knight

@Chris, thank you for caring for the community and continuing your Atari software evangelism after so many years. It's an honor to have you here! Thanks for contributing to the greatness of the Atari 8-bit computer universe by providing my teenage self with great software and writing about programming these wonderful machines.

Can anybody translate the essays to ASCII?

Those two atr images appear to be corrupt as far as I can see. I'll check them now again via dos 2.0

>Edit: I can see data on the disk sectors but no file structure

Edited by Tezz

Those two atr images appear to be corrupt as far as I can see. I'll check them now again via dos 2.0

>Edit: I can see data on the disk sectors but no file structure

Ah! Thanks! I went directly into the files and recovered a lot of the text, but as you say it was badly corrupted and I've been slogging through it correcting the errors as best I can. I'll post the final results when I'm finished.

Incase nobody is able to recover the actual essay files from the disk image, attached is all the raw data extracted from the "Eastern Front 1941 Essays.ATR". It'll need time editing it manually but it should be all there.

EDIT> Does anyone have turbo dos 2.x by Reitershan so I can replace the missing VTOC? the disks at aol don't have the utilities included.

EDIT2> It's ok, I've found turbo dos now

Eastern Front 1941 Essays.txt

Edited by Tezz

I love that quote from 2.TXT... in the DLI section:

"The former method should be practicable; I don't know why I couldn't get it working.
There's a lesson here: don't hold out for the elegant solution which eludes your grasp when an inelegant but
workable solution is accessible."
;)
btw. just remembered that I have a De Re Atari Book in the Attic... maybe next to Alternate Reality: The City+The Dungeon :D

I have cleaned up the documentation for the Eastern Front (1941) source code package. It was badly corrupted, and portions are simply gone. I did the best I could with a bad situation and managed to reconstitute some of the most important stuff. Unfortunately, I could not find the original package, and so none of the hand-drawn material is here; I have only the stuff that I could find on the diskettes. If anybody has the physical package and would be willing to scan all the hand-drawn material, that would help greatly. In any case, I attach the zipped package containing the source code and the explanatory essays. Have fun with it. I spent far too much time cleaning this thing up. I have other work to do!

Eastern Front Source Code.zip

• Like 3