IGNORED

Request for assistance in publishing old source code files

Chris Crawford

I would like to try to recover more of your files. If they were written on an 810, they may be off-track or skewed.

If you are still local to the Bay Area, I can pick them up (one at a time, if you like) rather than trust them to the USPS or such.

Bob

UCD '70 !!

Has anyone been able to load & run the scenario editor and/or load 1943/1944 data files?

Either they are corrupt or im loading these in incorrectly? (using Altirra and win800plus for convenience)

The 'EF 1941 scenario editor .atr only has a text file in it called NOTES.TXT that starts with DESIGNERS NOTES

It has no executables and doesn't boot. No, it also has EFTFNT.DAT in it.

The '1943-44 scenarios for eastern front.atr is a DOS 2.0S atr with three, I guess, game saves,

EF42STLN.GRD

EF43KRSK.ORL

EF44MAY1.SAV

It isn't corrupted, has DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS, boots fine.

Those three files are intact. I don't know how to load saved scenarios.

Since I don't know how to load them, I can't tell if they are good.

Edited by russg

I have a lot of old Atari floppies. I sent them all off to a fellow at the Atari museum. He read what he could and sent them back, including a CD-ROM with all the files he could pull off them. As you can see, they were pretty badly corrupted.

That was probably Curt Vendel. If he couldn't read them, then I don't hold out much hope. Then again, Bob is also quite the Atari wiz so maybe he can work some magic?

The 'EF 1941 scenario editor .atr only has a text file in it called NOTES.TXT that starts with DESIGNERS NOTES

It has no executables and doesn't boot. No, it also has EFTFNT.DAT in it.

The '1943-44 scenarios for eastern front.atr is a DOS 2.0S atr with three, I guess, game saves,

EF42STLN.GRD

EF43KRSK.ORL

EF44MAY1.SAV

It isn't corrupted, has DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS, boots fine.

Those three files are intact. I don't know how to load saved scenarios.

Since I don't know how to load them, I can't tell if they are good.

Thanks - pressing Option on the main screen calls a disk loader but i suspect this is done differently as its not responding in this way.

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.

What would the Chip do for you?

Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.

As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...

Bob

• Like 1

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.

What would the Chip do for you?

Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.

As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...

Bob

Along with the Chip, the Archiver/Editor allows different settings to read skewed sectors and sectors with a bad CRC where the oxide has deteriorated some. I have been able to recover disks that were over 60% unreadable into a 100% good image...

You can also read a single track at a time with visual status of each sector.

The Chip mod just changes the 810 rom with a 4k eprom with a couple of wires used for bank switching the 2k segments.

Jay

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think I have a 'Chip' in a bag somewhere - none installed that I know of.What would the Chip do for you?Worse comes to worse, I'll just build my own 'drive' and rip the tracks. I have some disks from OSS that I can't read either, so this project has been in the queue for a while.As long as there is oxide on the disk, we should be able to read it. If somebody wrote over the data... well...Bob

I'd say let Bob have a try - and what OSS disks are in the queue :)