IGNORED

About a Bruce Lee II (convert from Windows recent)

José Pereira

I've been following this for some time and although I coulg get all the stuff it was only today that I finally got a way to build an A8 version.

I intend to enter in contact with the Windows guys version to get their approval for an A8 conversion but need a coder that with me can build the game.

I will not reveal here in Public what's my idea.

Instead of the usual screens posts and all all explained now my future ones will be this way. If anyone(s) interested then send me a P.M. and I'll say what I have in mind.

But O.K. I'll post one or two screen examples on the next days!...

;)

:)

P.s.- My thoughts about the 'trying to convert to C64' and the link to the original C64 conversion (where's the original all screens map of the Windows version) here:

http://formatwar.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=6878&sid=518e9e0f3b37667d106f981528d18f52#p6878

Would be nice to see the game come full circle back to the A8 where it all started first IIRC.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe the C64 version program code was done from scratch rather than modifying the code from the C64 version of Bruce Lee 1. All the 6510 assembler source is printed in the scene section of the Lemon64 forums if anyone fancies a look through it.

Would love to see some screens of it Jose :)

The Windows screens can't be 100% used because even for C64 if in Multicolour Bitmap Mode there's some cells that have more than 4colours and the C64 one general colour (I would choose black) more three own colours per each cell.

And we should remember that it was done in a modern system with no worries about number of chars/tiles (for example, the same gfx can be over a wall, the sky or a mountain that on ours A8 or C64 probably aren't the same bit-pair).

What I've been done alone and waiting to say anything was untill I manage this and the same gfxs are the same cell whatever they have on their backs.

What I am doing is exactly the same, for sure, what the C64 guy is doing and believe me that it takes many, many time (just to get a rule for all screens choosing the right ones with no clash between PF2 and PF3 it's a pain and this is just not to say some word that isn't allowed here).

I think that on C64 because the guys are hardware sprites it can be in charmode and C64 has 256chars per charset. There's also possibility to 'pick-up' chars on the fly or even better: divide the map in three or four screen types = different charsets (one charset the almost like original/old top with mountains, other the underground screens,...).

Use or not the original code?

Maybe it can be used on C64 if the guy(s) choose to go with Multicolour Charmode but why? Isn't all that hard for a coder to build a multi screens 'old like' static screens platform game!

On the other side, to A8 there's no way to use the original code.

It was in ANTIC5 and the guys 'cleverly' done to just use PMGs and not a single software sprite.

Instead of Bruce, the Green and Black Ninja we now have four: Bruce, Japonese with red clothe, the 'Bob Marley hair' and the whites clothes guy (with the old Black Ninja also appearing from time to time).

Now to achieve all this into the little but GREAT A8?

Believe me, it's possible!

;)

P.s.- In some hours, not much I'll post some screens.

:)

O.k. it's just one screen but has already the gfxs converted from Windows into A8 format chars/tiles.

Whatever screen, colours and gfxs it will have the gfxs still the same and the guys when falling to the next screen will still maintain this colours.

See that from Windows version (on the left) for the A8 version (on the right) it needs some re-touch, for example, on the roof:

post-6517-0-55951200-1377441597_thumb.pngpost-6517-0-82119600-1377441610_thumb.png

Maybe I'll post some more/others different in the next days but I am a little bit without of time because the most important is to get as much as we can to finish X.8 in time for the ABBUC Software 201~3 Contest.

But for coders and anyone that know how to get the Monitor in an Emulator then here's the file for you to try to guess what's my idea (it's more or less the same way as Tezz is doing in his Barbarian conversion but here is more enemys but they are also less sized):

image0010.xex

• Like 1

The youtube videos are of the Amstrad CPC version of the Windows conversion so I'm not 100% sure without downloading the actual game but yeah there are too many shades of certain colours for a C64 palette but not the 27 colour Amstrads I assumed.

I can't play games on PC like this so would be nice for conversions to real retro machines, without a Zipstick or TAC-II it doesn't really work for me. 360 pads are fine for Colin McRae Rally games but not retro remakes IMO.

Is the source code available for the original Bruce lee game? If so could the new levels be created and just incorporated into the original code to make Bruce lee II?

BTW Bruce LEE is also one of my favorites from way back, would love to see a newer version with the same game play.

Robert

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Humm... CreatureXL this one would make a good one to get into interleaved charsets or 'mimic bitmap' on charmode and one PMG Player to overlay each of the guys. It's a simple static screens 40Bytes wide and 4sprites maximum per screen ;-).

:-)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

I wasn't sure, but I wondered also about his assertion.

I believe when he's referring to "original" here he's referring to the original, i.e., not updated, C-64 version. I think it's clear from what was written that the author is aware of it being a multi-platform title and is not making an assertion that the C-64 was the first. Arguably, the C-64 has the most well known version, but certainly the Atari 8-bit version was the first from which all other ports were based upon.

• Like 1

It'd be something nice to have ported over once the bugs are ironed out. But potentially it could be a real hard job. Biggest hurdle I foresee is if it uses >128 characters.

Extra chsets probably won't help much, there's that interaction between characters and backgrounds, chances are the character data also serves to map areas and functions.

Another problem could be memory, if it uses near or all of 64K that makes things hard though there's always the 128K option.

C64 almost sure use their multicol bitmap mode.I remember at begining I put together some pc gfxs trees,dragon, platf,pillars,walls, mountains,waterplant were 256chars.

As ex 1st screen,with dragons knowing C64 way in charmode then lilac&gray must be 2 of the 3 common col then 3rd,white because shares the same char with those real colourmap possible:black,red,blue&cyan,but these can't be in same char and they are. This way bitmap mode,1common col for all screen maybe black and 3differ any colour in each char.

Origin A8 still used on II is GR.13/ANTIC5 charm and what make it possible to be done in A8 using just 1charset because double scanline mode. I'm almost sure it fit in A8 128chars 1charset, 2x to 1 C64 256chars. A8 probably less memory use than C64,ours half takes 1KB,the 'commie' 2KBs.It was intended to run on that time popular Atari800 48KBs RAM.

A8 and C64 guys are in single line vs gfxs 2x line resolution are hardware sprites. In our case Bruce Lee P0&P1, green P2&P3 and PF3 black soo 4Missiles used together as 5thPlayer on the black ninja and why when kicking black Players go 2x wide and the same for the Missiles on the Ninja when using the sword.

This can still be done but now we have 2 more enemys and all at same line,happen some/later levels we'll get flicker.Don't know if this acceptable thats why I show Players overlays PRIOR0 possibility to have all them same time same line and 'mimic' bitmap mode in GR.12/ANTIC4 charmode be way to go like 2charlines=1charset.

Edited by José Pereira

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone! Thanks for the great remake, that's impressive work.

Can someone share any technical details on how Bruce Lee or Bruce Lee II organized?

I mean, how screen represented in memory -- walls / ladders / laterns and so on. How screens stored before it is appered. How collision detection works.

I am currently think on porting the game on a platform with a different architecture, not 6502 or even Z80.