IGNORED

Atari 65XE Arabic

oblonskij

So, somebody here complained that I pointed out that that ad clearly shows that women are second grade human beings in countries like Saudi Arabia and following that, without ANY notification or even asking about it the posting was removed.

OK. so someone here was "hurt" because I say women are treated second rate in countries like Saudi Arabia.

Your post was removed because politics and religious discussions are not permitted on AtariAge. I don't agree with Saudi Arabia's treatment of women either, but this is not the place to discuss it.

..Al

I understand that....I only made a remark about it....stating a fact.

But in that case, the ad should be taken down too as it communicates a religious outing: women should not use computers.

I'll stop discussing this here, as it's a fun and interesting thread about a nice variation of the XE machines.

Edited by Level42

So, somebody here complained that I pointed out that that ad clearly shows that women are second grade human beings in countries like Saudi Arabia and following that, without ANY notification or even asking about it the posting was removed.

OK. so someone here was "hurt" because I say women are treated second rate in countries like Saudi Arabia.

Well _ I _ am hurt by that advertisement and so is my wife. It is discriminating and sexist.

It goes against EVERYTHING I believe in, freedom, equality of sexes and human rights.

I have submitted a complaint about the post with the ad. It should be taken down.

Level42

"that ad clearly shows that women are second grade human beings in countries like Saudi Arabia".

What made you sure about that?

Ad picture?. Ask yourself (honestly), What do you know about that country's habits and customs. Media tells you that his picture is a clear evidence of racism?

I am honored to be a Saudi. I have read your previous note and simply ignored it.

I am responding now, because you are trying to make another (LOCKED thread).

If you are interested in politics and you want to curse Saudis and thier country, you are in luck.

There are many thousands of websites that you will find interesting. Join them shout, empty your anger or whatever hot feeling you might have.

Please :Level42, keep Atariage out of that. Keep it as it was intended. Enjoy all the creation, invention and help that our respectful and gifted member provide. Share your knowledge with others.

Keep Atari alive

Thank you

First of all, you would be a real MAN if you would send me a PM about your hurt feelings.....and we could discuss it like real men do.

Instead that person decided to sneakily report my posting......way to go !

Well _ I _ am hurt by that advertisement and so is my wife. It is discriminating and sexist.

It goes against EVERYTHING I believe in, freedom, equality of sexes and human rights.

I have submitted a complaint about the post with the ad. It should be taken down.

It was me. I think I am more of a man than you could ever be.

If you have an issue with Saudi or any other country for that matter, discuss it in a political website. Keep AtariAge out of this. Better still, keep your rude comments to yourself. Or else, more reporting to the admin will be your way.

You know....I wrote responses here....but figured it would be wisest not to.

I saw your response and decided not to reply, but when I saw this modified response from you, I saw wisdom indeed, which I appreciated much, and decided to respond.

I hope the admin deletes the posts that deviates from the topic (mines included) and keep it as Atari Age as it has always been. As for the ad, my intent was to show the forum the box of the Atari 65XE Najm and the company that was pioneer in the domain, aDawliah.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in purchasing the Atari Najm 65XE, there is a seller who lives in Egypt where this device does not seem rarity at all. However, in all his posts, he lists them as "atari najm 65xe اتارى نجم very rare"

I have seen listings ranging from $150 - $250 plus $50 shipping. He can also find you ones on your demand.

His eBay profile is: https://www.ebay.com/usr/osamelsham-0. There has been complaints about customs fees for people in Europe, but not for those in the US.

The only technical problem I foresee is that Najm was PAL whereas in the US, the system is predominantly NTSC. It will still work, but screen will be shifted to the bottom with lots of scan lines. Audio should be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2017 at 9:54 PM, atari65xenajm said:

Very curious, are you able to share with us a picture of the Najm Atari 65XE box? I am sure that is a big deal! Thanks!

Close to three years later, I was finally able to find a picture of the Najm Atari 65XE box, off a post on eBay.  Here it is for the curious ones such as myself.  Enjoy!

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 9

• 7 months later...

An impulse buy has added a Najm 65XE to my collection.

Now, is there any preserved Arab software to let the star shine?

And is there any non-Arabic description of its workings?

It seems to use Arabic numbers exclusively but defaults to Latin letters. CTRL produces Arabic letters that are shifted to the right  (I had imagined that "right to left" meant that the editor would start at the right and move the cursor to the left for subsequent letters).

I have yet to find out how to access the graphics characters that are printed on the side of the keycaps.

BTW, mine is the single "J" variant with ECI (sorry for not knowing how to type Arabic letters in AA).

• Like 3

Yes @slx!  Preserving Arabic software for Atari has been a long endeavor that is not yet finished!  The company that was pioneering publishing Arabic software was aDawliah, which suprisingly still lives, but changed its product line.

As for the Arabic numbers, depends on which ROM version you have; if it is Version 1 you can change the numbers from BASIC by POKE 756, 204.  However, if it Version 2, then you can do that, but you also can hit Shift + Help.

This thread has a lot of contributions from many of us at AA:

• Like 4

22 hours ago, slx said:

An impulse buy has added a Najm 65XE to my collection.

I think, it was the same impulse that triggered me, wasn´t it? ;)

German customs very subtle checked the box:

65XE_customs.thumb.jpeg.3f6ab22e24bfc78e301818944fbdb924.jpeg

?

But the content survived and is working, only needs a little cleaning.

65XE.thumb.jpeg.83ff284434db1fc001b39711210e07bc.jpeg

The communication with the seller in Egypt was very nice, and he mentioned that he might probably have more Atari stuff. But he is not an Atari person himself. I think I´ll ask for what else he has to offer, maybe there are some items, that were specifically for that market.

But now I need to turn some of my arabic friends here in Germany into Atari users. ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I found an photo image of one more cartridge by aDawliah on Instagram: الصيّاد al-Sayyād or The Hunter.

Reaching out to the Instagram account owner in hope that they still have the cartridge, they mentioned to me that both this one and the other cartridge: الكلمة الخفية were both sold to a customer in Canada.  If this customer is you, please share a bin image of these cartridges ?

b.png

a.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, skr said:

I think, it was the same impulse that triggered me, wasn´t it? ;)

German customs very subtle checked the box:

Yes, I think it was the same ABBUC forum thread that sparked my acquisition. 

Mine came via FEDEX, however and the package was immaculate. The machine itself was wrapped in about 5 metres (15 feet) of bubble wrap.

• 1 year later...

I opened my Instagram account 2 months late only to find these amazing aDawliah cartridges had been sold.  I am only sharing this photo; otherwise I do not have these catridges myself.  If you purchased these, please share the bin files!

1) Labība was-Sanāfir لبيبة والسنافر Labiba and the Smurfs, which is already on this forum

2) as-Sayyād الصياد The Hunter

3) al-Manjanīq المنجنيق The Catapult

4) al-Qāmūs القاموس The Dictionary, already on this forum

5) Ikhtabir Thaka'ak اختبر ذكاءك Test Your Intelligence, already on this forum

6) Kayfa Ya'malul Computer كيف يعمل الكمبيوتر How Does The Computer Work, already on this forum

7) Hisāb ul-Fadhā' حساب الفضاء The Computations of Space

8 ) al-Mu'allim fin-Nahw المعلم في النحو The Teacher of Grammar

9) al-Ahruf ul-Hijā'iyyah الأحرف الهجائية The Alphabets

10) Ashkāl wa Misāhāt أشكال ومساحات Shapes and Areas

1461309946_ScreenShot2022-04-03at10_22_20AM.thumb.png.2cecfe17c3cf053a0f19befdb52c116f.png

• Like 7

• 1 year later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, atari65xenajm said:

I found an photo image of one more cartridge by aDawliah on Instagram: الصيّاد al-Sayyād or The Hunter.

Reaching out to the Instagram account owner in hope that they still have the cartridge, they mentioned to me that both this one and the other cartridge: الكلمة الخفية were both sold to a customer in Canada.  If this customer is you, please share a bin image of these cartridges ?

b.png

a.jpg

Would you happen to have a complete list of these cartridges?  I have a total of 9 on my list.

@atari65xenajm @Madi
Guys, can you please cross check the list on ACDP about Arabic carts?

https://a8.jindrou.sh/acdp_all.html?sort=s1&p=custom&t=a&cn=sa

For aDawliah carts, I'd like to be assured that:
a) all the titles are copy-pasted/translated correctly

b) all of them are actual cartridges - for example, wasn't the Smurf software disk only?

c) if you have them, serial number of carts paired with the titles

d) if you have them, pictures of carts themselved

e) What is the text on ABOS (other) saying? I'll tried to machine translate it, but it gives very ambiguous results.
THX!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jindroush said:

d) if you have them, pictures of carts themselved

There are some cart pics here: Could be the oldest ARABIC OS "NAJM"

Unfortunately some pictures are gone due to vanishing links.

[Edit: I just noticed the thread I linked here is already linked elsewhere in this thread. So, you probably already have the images from it.]

There's also one here: Atari 8-Bit Cartridges - A Big List!

And if you haven't been to this site already, you might find something: Pitfall Jones - 8-bit cart (images)