IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600. New 4-Level Demo!

iesposta

Don't know why, Arcade version seems to have the superior gameplay but I much prefer the audio on the VCS version. Is it possible maybe iesposta collaborate with VCS and "borrow" his audio routines?

Is it opposite day? I really didn't know how to answer.

D.K. VCS has sprites and gameplay copied from the arcade game, exactly.

DK Arcade 2600 has "player = player + 1 and skip some frames'" with one, two, one, two, "Wreck-It-Ralph 8-bit" 2-frame (or reflect) animation, and "cartoon physics" like changing direction mid-jump :) so thank you for liking our gameplay.

As far as sound, I created a walking and growl sound that I'm quite proud of. The jump sounds are the same notes, the L4 win tune is the same notes, the kill sound is 4 2-channel notes (also the same) I dropped the spinning and spin sound, How high music is similar, I believe D.K. VCS uses lower harmony, the opening theme is better on D.K. VCS - I dropped ours to one channel, and it might get scrapped entirely to get Level 3 in, the L1, L2, & L4 ditties are simple 6 or 4 note repeats, the hammer tune should be the same, the jump over sound is the only thing that may be off, but a higher "top note" sounds way off.

What sounds better in D.K. VCS exactly, or is it an overall impression?

January 15, 2014.

Note: I have "added on" to Byte Knight's code, so things like the opening animation, squares to the left of score showing remaining lives, breaking hearts may have to eventually go to get Level 3 in there.

Added Custom Score Font.

Opening animation and growl.

Player color and How High message tweak to look best on CRT.

Level 2 pie/cement factory done.

No difficulty increases yet.

Levels 1&4 very forgiving collision detection. Level 2 - don't touch anything you are not supposed to touch!

Note 2: After Level 4 is doesn't go back to Level 1, sorry...

Binary in first Post #1

Don't know why, Arcade version seems to have the superior gameplay but I much prefer the audio on the VCS version. Is it possible maybe iesposta collaborate with VCS and "borrow" his audio routines?

I think that iesposta has done an amazing job with the sounds - far, far better than anything that I could have ever come up with. There's some limitations with batari basic, the biggest being that we only get 26 variables to work with. We're already using 5 of those for sound...

Wow, at this point you've really gone beyond what I thought someone could do with Batari Basic. It's flickery, yes (I'd think the phosphor effect would help, but maybe off-screen video capture programs can't handle that?) but just having that asymmetrical playfield with all those players is pretty nifty. Nice work.

Wow, at this point you've really gone beyond what I thought someone could do with Batari Basic. It's flickery, yes (I'd think the phosphor effect would help, but maybe off-screen video capture programs can't handle that?) but just having that asymmetrical playfield with all those players is pretty nifty. Nice work.

Thanks raindog.

I like that the player you control does not flicker (player0). That means everything else is the other player (player1)!

And when two player1's are less than 7 lines close or in the same horizontal space, intelligent flicker will happen.

The great thing about assembly is you could program player0 to reduce flicker even more by not having "everything else" player1. That is why assembly programs like SpiceWare's Frantic and Space Rocks will always be nicer.

Sadly, batari Basic doesn't reuse player0. We just decided to go with "flickerfest" because playing the game is still lots of fun.

Edit: P.S. It does look much better on a CRT or in Stella. The capture program does make the flickering worse.

I'm wondering if a two color playfield (red girders and blue ladders, 30Hz) would be workable or palatable here. VCS DK does have more colorful sprites but at this stage the enemy AI and overall level design in Arcade are far superior. LadyBug used 30Hz playfield flicker and it was barely noticable if played on a CRT.

And I know I'm nitpicking here but if there is any way to "borrow" the sound routines from DK VCS, it would add much to the experience. The bass effects in DK Arcade sound very hollow compared to the full notes of DK VCS. I know that port was done in assembly but it should be possible to duplicate the sound effects?

I haven't seen this until just now - fantastic work! I wouldn't have expected anything like this from a batari Basic game.

I'd seen DK VCS, but thought there were far too many compromises made to achieve its look. But DK Arcade manages to retain the gameplay (which is the most important thing) to such a degree that I suck equally bad at this as I do the arcade game. ;)

• Like 1